Harmonious Tarot by Walter Crane

Cerulean

...I bought a 1968 reprint of Walter Crane's An Artist's Reminscences

..and first opened to p. 136 of this reprint, to the description of Walter Crane's Carnival segment. He was in Rome, described first a palio/race (traditional in Ferarra as well from Duke Borso's time, circa 1470). What charms me is also other ideas and the idea of Crane's illustrations...on page 133 of the book, I ran across "The Allegory of the Dinner Box" and the humor of the delicate engraving also makes me believe in my imagination that Walter Crane would be also amused by the delicate humor in this tarot design...

Back to Carnival:

..masques and every kind of costume or disguise were worn, punchinello and pierette perhaps predominating. The masqued women always spoke in the same artificially high voice, as different groups of maquers met with each other, there was often a sustained and lively conversation, at this high pitch. The spirit and go with which the citizens and citoyennes threw themselves into the play--for it was really like a play going on to the streets--was amazing. In the Corso anyone was liable to get well peppered with plaster confetti. People at the balconies had troughs of it, and literally shovelled it down on the crowd. I saw Prince Humbert (King of Italy) amusing hismself in this way.

Then a day was given to the battle of flowers, when the ammunition is changed, but the fusillade is carried on as briskly as before between the occupants of carriages and those in the balconies and taken up by the foot passagers. Processions of fanstastic cars full of quaint masquers continually passed up and down the Corso. I remember one filled with people each having a different kind of beast's or bird's head on another with a carriage full of storks, red-legged and red-beaked with proper black and white plumage, with a basket of baies in their midst and a stork coachman and footman on the box. A caricature of an English sporting gentleman and lady in fox-hunting dress, on horseback, but with enormous pantomime heads on, rode down the Corso; and a suggestion of ancient Rome, a biga full of helmeted and crested warriors of the Empire period...The last night of the Carnival was signalised by the "Moccaletti"--a sudden burst of lighted tapers dancing about in the dark crowd like fireflies in the twilight, and then everybody tries to blow everybody else's taper out, in order to cry triumphantly, "Senza Moccoli!"

Walter Crane
An Artist's Reminiscences
London, Methun & Co., 1907
Detroit: Reissued by Singing Press, Book Tower, 1968
(with 123 illustration by the author and others from
photographs)

...and so an appreciative Cerulean amusingly will stop haunting this poor thread with cranium bursting with silly joys of Harmonious Tarot and Walter Crane's amused recollections of triumphi...

Cheerfully humming,

Cerulean

maria caratti

Thank you, Cerulean...

It was my pleasure to welcome you in my cartomancy room!
Now... enjoy your deck!
Sincerely

Lady Victoria Westwood

gregory

MY, LADY Victoria, never mind Westwood. (Curtseys and falls over because - well, people should only curtsey when they are very skinny, IMHO)

I find Walter Crane a bit on the twee side - but I shall be buying as soon as Somerville has his in (I am deeply loyal to my friends....) I have almost never had an LS deck I didn't learn to like. Some - very eventually.....

Some of the images are on alida here. Not huge, but not bad. (talking of which does anyone know if trigono has gone bust ? The website has been offline for weeks.)

Cerulean

Oh, I did enjoy both the collaborations-Secret Forest and Harmonious

http://www.mariacaratti.com/page_00005f.htm

I enjoyed the imaginative take in both texts...

And just me...

Because there were fun design references to the Rider Waite Smith deck, I had wondered about links between the art of Walter Crane and Pamela Colman Smith...

Nothing tarot-related, just contact points.

I found from Melinda Boyd Parson's catalog of the art exhibit for Pamela Colman Smith that she joined a group of designers that Walter Crane started in New York, but no published work came of the organization...and I was happy to also find another listing where Walter Crane designed a Jubilee programme for Ellen Terry, someone who P.C.S. adored and toured with as well...

Anyway, the tarot designs and enjoyment led me to look at these things. Thanks!

Cerulean

maria caratti

:)

Unfortunately, I'm still working on Italian version, but I hope English one will be ready very soon!

I really love Secret Forest Tarot and have been so proud to give my - little I must say - contribution to this amazing and unique deck!

Lady Victoria helped me a lot to appreciate as well Harmonious Tarot.. while I was working with her, she made me feel so gentle, graceful and delicate sensations...! I hope Gregory will soon share them with us !

Warmest regards
Maria (oooops.... I mean... Lady V. ....)

gregory

Well, I didn't say I didn't LIKE Crane's work, I just suspect it is a little decorative for my tarot taste. I LOVE the Baby's Opera.....! but it is "sweet" and very kiddy - as it is supposed to be - and as I say - I shall certainly buy it - and there is one Scarabeo deck I couldn't bring myself to buy... Only one, but.... I'll let you know !