New revelations about decks... ;)

rosesred

At the moment I'm deciding between getting the tarot of the new vision or the revelations tarot. In some way they are similar, and I like their spin on things.

New vision turns cards 180 degrees for a new perspective, and in the tarot of the revelation it doesn't matter how you spin the card, it will always be right side up!

Sadly I won't get both, so I am hoping that some people who have experience with both decks can point out some of the differences and similarities in working with them. Thanks!

magpie9

I have both, and am no expert with either, but what I have noticed is that the New Vision is really excellent for reading on questions that have been asked 1000 times before. You know, the ones where we're bugging and bugging and bugging the cards (&/or reader!) over and over with tiny variations on the same question, and what feels like hourly updates. It really does give a fresh look at the situation, and opens up new ideas. I take them out now the 3rd time the same question comes up, and that gives enough new insights and possibilities to (usually) settle the matter for a reasonable amount of time.

The Revelations reads very clearly and easily, is straightforward but not so blunt that it is hurtful. Whichever one you get now, I hope you will be able to get the other later, they both have a lot to offer. I think if I had to have just one, it would be the New Vision, but that's just me.
Hope this helps! :)

Chronata

Well...I have had both...and traded both.

Not really one who is into reversals...I liked the idea behind both decks...but couldn't find them usefull enough to keep.

If you really like the RWS...you may be disappointed by the lack of creativity in some of the cards in the New Vision. Some are really great...some made me scratch my head and go "huh?" and some were just uninspired.

I think overall, the Revelations is a prettier and just much nicer deck.

It has an original concept, and if you like to do reversals, it will probably be a joy to you.

That's just my two cents. :)

Cerulean

I haven't absorbed the book on the New Vision yet...

I would say Revelations is easy enough to read with the book right out of the box. But I added my own positive keywords for the Swords and other cards to make it easier to come with a reading that isn't all about the doldrums or dreary sometimes.

I use the New Vision with my "Original" Rider because I think the coloring is similar. I seem to be looking at a diorama or 'both sides' when I take a card from the Original. The wonderful Chris Butler (78th Fool) noticed the similarity and suggested such pairing in a post perhaps last year.

The book on the New Vision and the quaint behind the scenes feeling and then the odd, grainy coloring of the frontal views of the Original Rider--just different flips, but it's an enjoyable flip.

I don't know how bonded you are with seeing the clearest Rider Waite Smith scenes a certain way, with a certain coloring, etc...I sometimes like the quaintness of older misprinting...

Cerulean

WooMonkey

I have both decks, and I think I like the Revelations Tarot more. The art and concept are very effective, and the colors are fabulous.

The New Vision I find OK, but I have Chronata's "Huh?" reaction to the court cards. Plus, there are some cards that I found that I really didn't like the take on what was "on the other side"--the Magician and Hanged Man come to mind.

:)

raeanne

Hi all,
I have both decks and I think I would have to vote for the Revelations Tarot. I enjoy the New Vision and it gave me some new ideas but I wasn't as inspired by it as I thought I would be. The Revelations Tarot has great artwork. I think it is a great deck for people who want to start using reversals. Either deck will open up some new views for you. Maybe you can start putting loose change in a jar and save up for the other deck. Do you get paid for recycling pop bottles and cans where you live? Also, if you get one and don't like it, you could always trade for the other deck!

Kaylee Marie

Thanks for posting this question, Rosesred! Both of these decks are high up on my wishlist as well, and I'm planning on ordering a new deck within a few weeks. This thread will help me make up my mind! :) I've been leaning toward the Revelations Tarot, and I'm happy to see that the comments thus far seem to confirm that!

Cheers,
Kaylee Marie