'baraja espanola' - Does anyone have this deck?

ElenaDragonMuse

I remember having it when I was real young - never found out or rather remember why there are no 8's and 9's AND they're real cheap in Texas - where I was born - Most Mexicans there look down on my regular tarot cards - could be 'cause i'm assimilated and my spanish is bad too but i'm wondering if anyone has insight on this deck rather than the biased opinions I get from my relatives back home...

I find myself using a lot of the spreads that the deck uses - although I have no real proof that those spreads actually belong to that deck...since those decks don't usually have instructions...

This deck doesn't have trumps either - and the courts are only male - no Queen...That might be a machismo thing...

The Alida store has them - called Baraja Spagnola Siglo XIX

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
:)
elena

Aulruna

Hi,

I brought of them back from Spain last month, as they are very cheap there as well (I paid about $5).

I've tried spreads and instructions from this site http://www.serenapowers.com/spanishcards.html
and plan to get a book next time I'm in Spain (they sold kits, but as my Spanish is meager I thought I'd check the net first.) I think it's worthwhile to investigate further, as the readings were very accurate.

Cerulean

Here's discussions of Latin-suited decks and reading exercise...

Latin-suited deck discussion

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52867&highlight=reading+latin+decks

Barajas playing card discussion (reading)

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=80029

We posted this under oracle decks, as the Latin-suited cards aren't tarot.

Best wishes, hope it helps.

Some of the Latin-suited patterns do have a damsel or sota if you like the historical Cadiz patterns or the Portugese-derived patterns...I really like the Romantica listed in the discussion threads above and am exploring the offshoots of the Portugese patterns in other countries...I'm reading about how the Portugese pattern evolved in Japan the past 500 years through Andy's Playing card site and a book by card historians.

Hope this isn't too much information.

Cerulean

ElenaDragonMuse

Thank you both!

I did a search and nothing came up which is why I posted here. There is never too much information - Both of you have been very helpful - thanks!

elena

olivia

ElenaDragonMuse said:
I did a search and nothing came up which is why I posted here. There is never too much information - Both of you have been very helpful - thanks!

elena

Perhaps the problem is for the keyboard, please try with copy and paste:
Baraja española
there are few pages with meanings (in spanish), you can use a translator and if you have any problem I can help you...
Good luck

MareSaturni

Here where i live - that's the very south of Brazil, close to Argentina and Uruguay - the Baraja Española is very common. People here use it to paly a game named 'Truco'. So it's very very easy to get a spanish deck here...

~YUKO