Zero Degrees Significance in Chart

GoddessArtemis

I just noticed I have a couple of signs that are at 00 degrees in my chart. What's the significance of this?

Ascendant is in 00 Degrees Scorpio
Venus is in 00 Degrees Taurus
Saturn is in 00 Degrees Gemini

Then I have some that are quite close to, but not, zero:

Pluto is in 01 Degrees Libra
Mercury is in 03 Degrees Aries
Jupiter is in 04 Degrees Capricorn
Neptune is in 05 Degrees Sagittarius
N. Node is in 04 Degrees Aquarius

Any input on this would be great.

GA

MCsea

HI GoddessArtemis

I am interested in this too, my son was a planned C-section we knew the time he was going to be born within 30 min so cast a chart prior to him being born.. Aquarius 12th house sun -- the morning of the operation however there was no wards person available to take me to theatre - we were 2 and a half hours late and my son became a 00 degrees 05 min PISCES more impressively he went from most of the planets from the 12th into the 11th...

WE were told this was quite fortuitous but not 100% sure why...

:)

MARINA

dadsnook2000

A sign here, a sign there

If you want to appreciate just what a "sign" is then you have to understand the basics. Everyone knows that I don't use signs very much in my practice of astrology but that doesn't change the fact that they seem to have some significance if used in delineating a natal chart or mundane/political chart.

Signs are 30 degree segements of space that are mathematically projected onto the celestial sphere. Zero Aries is determined by the Sun-Earth relationship at the place/time where the earth's poles are perpendicular to the Earth's orbital plane about the Sun -- the spring equinox.

Sign names were adopted from constellation names; constellations are groupings of star patterns that various cultures have identified in the sky above us. These names and some of the particular stars in those groupings have been associated with various facets of human behavior and fate. Some stars have been used as seasonal markers, a sort of sky calendar, which signified times to plant crops or expect river risings and rains. In today's astrological practice (using the Tropical Zodiac) signs have no real association with constellations.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART
Sign segments are associated with those parts of astrology wherein moving from one part or segment of the whole (a sign) to another part of the whole (another sign) is a matter of crossing a defined boundary. A contrasting example would be the relationship between two planets moving towards a conjunction. In that case the conjunction point is approached -- it builds up, then draws away as the planets change relative positions in a "cyclic" fashion rather than a boundary fashion. As the conjunction is approached the influence of the conjuncted planets is said to increase -- then fades away as the two planets separate. Each "sign" meaning derives much of its value and meaning because of the whole set of signs and their integrated set of meanings. We can say that they are a knowledge construct.

ANOTHER IMPORTANT PART
Signs in effect have nothing to do with the star patterns we see in the sky. The signs are always shifting their boundaries relative to the stars due to something called precession. The Tropical or Seasonal Zodiac does not stay in one place but regresses about one degree every 72 years. This is why we call it a "seasonal" zodiac. This seasonal zodiac is strictly a Sun-and-Earth phenomena. It influences our cultures through agricultural and weather traditions in very significant ways, and in turn influences many other areas of our way of life.

NOW, ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION
Since the signs are related to the Sun, what do they have to do with planets? Yes, we do have to ask if planets are at all influenced by this artificial group of mathematical projections based on the Earth wobbling about the Sun? Can we see or link the Sun's declinational movement from the tropic of Cancer to the tropic of Capricorn? Are signs just for the Sun? Do they indirectly have an effect on the astrological model (the chart) that we create? Does a planet's energy change in some way when it crosses some point in space that relates to the Earth-Sun plane?

All that being said, does the defined zero point of a sign have significance? Do we click from one meaning to another? Do we fade from one meaning and then gradually pick up on another meaning as the planet moves onward? Do the inner planets have more of a sign meaning than the outer planets due to their being visually associated with the Sun? There is probably no satisfactory answer that will suit everyone. In our individual practice of astrology we each have to build a combination of astrological factors that enable us to work with a chart and find it mostly meaningful most of the time. In my practice I have found signs to not be reliable or needed -- I use fewer components and achieve higher and closer-to-100-percent satisfaction by minimizing the factors that I choose to use. We each choose from our experience. There is no right, wrong, best, better single factor. We have to find a combination of factors that work.

Some astrologers will say that the change of signs and sign meanings occurs right at the 0 degree point. Others will insist that there is some fading in and fading out, probably spanning 2 or 3 degrees. Others will say that the sign on the cusp applies to how one interprets the whole house -- even if the degree on the cusp is 29 degrees, that sign will rule the whole house. And, speaking of houses, houses vary in length/size while signs do not -- which is why we have houses (sometimes) that start with one sign, end with another sign and have a whole sign in the middle. Do we need to think about that relative to how we use signs and houses?

And, for the record, my ASC degree is 0-31 Cancer. I have Gemini qualities as well as Cancer qualities. Does that mean anything or are those "qualities" due to other factors in the chart. Will situations like that influence your decision about how to use signs and their boundary points? Dave

GoddessArtemis

After some extensive searches, I found the following information on the importance of degrees in a chart. I hope it's applicable here:

The first thing to note is the placement of the planets. If most of the planets are on the east (rising), the person is working on Destiny Sowing. If most of the planets are on the west side of the chart, the person is working on Destiny Reaping. Note whether the majority of the planets are above (outer world) or below (inner personal growth) the horizon. Configurations are very important, mainly T-squares, grand trines and grand crosses. Check for planets at the degree of the Nodes and at critical degrees. The critical degrees are 0, 13 and 26 of cardinal signs; 4 and 17 of mutable signs; 9 and 21 of fixed signs; and any planet or cusp at 29 degrees of any sign. The Lords of Karma at 15 degrees of fixed signs show a fated chart, especially difficult if the Nodes or Ascendant are also at 15 degrees. (Source: http://www.azastrologers.org/Articles/CollinsFamousStars.PDF)

-----

Classic critical degrees are 0, 13, and 26 degrees of the cardinal signs (Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn); 8-9 and 21-22 degrees of fixed signs (Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius); and 4 and 17 degrees of mutable signs (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces). These are considered sensitive, and sometimes strengthening, points. If a natal planet is found in a critical degree, that planet is emphasized and assumes more power in the life of the native due to its placement.

Many astrologers consider 0 and 29 degrees of any sign critical degrees as well. The 0 and 29 degrees are more crisis-oriented points, especially in predictive work. (Source: http://www.cafeastrology.com/criticaldegrees.html)

-----

Taken from the Hindu concept of Vedic Astrology, it is believed that there are degrees of a sign at which it is most fortunate to have a planet positioned.

Critical Degrees are derived mathematically by dividing the Zodiac by the Moon's average daily motion. These positions within the Houses are known as the Lunar Mansions.

The Cardinal Signs -- Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn -- can smile if there's a planet in their birth chart positioned at 0, 13 or 26 degrees. The Fixed Signs -- Taurus, Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius -- will be happy to see a planet sitting at 9 or 21 degrees. The rest of the Signs are Mutable; Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces are quite fortunate to find a planet in their natal chart hovering at 4 or 17 degrees. (Source: http://karma.astrology.com/critical.html)

-----

The 30 degrees alloted for each zodiac house can be divided into three groups of ten degrees each as 0 to 9 deg, 10 to 19 deg and 20 to 29 deg. These divisions are termed as Decanates. The first ten degrees are called as the First Decanate, the second ten as the second Decanate and the third ten degrees are the Third Decanate.

The first decanate of any sign corresponds to to the sign being studied so that the first deanate of Aries will relate to Aries. The second Decanate of any sign takes on the characteristics of the next sign in the same element and hence the second decanate for Aries is Leo. The third decanate of any sign is the last sequential sign within the same element and so for Aries it would be Sagittarius.

Each decanate in a sign gets the traits or qualities of the sign ruling it. The first decanate is tHE strongest and it corresponds to the double strength of the sign. A person born during the second and third decanate will be less typical of the sign udner consideration.

The decanates are said to have psychological and physical significances and are related to the mind, body and soul.

0 to 9 degrees- This decanate corresponds to the physical side and relates to the body. When a person has many planets in these degrees they would be practical, materialistic and sensible. These degrees are very powerful. The 0 deg represents the beginnings and the 9th degree represents the endings and the physical aspects.

10 to 19 degrees- This decanate corresponds to the mental or the Mind side. Those with more planets in this decanate are said to be intelligent and concentrate more on mind activities. They are logical thinkers and are well-informed about the latest trends. Degree 10 represents new pursuits and degree 19 represents the peak of mental activity.

20 to 29 degrees- This decanate corresponds to the spiritual aspects of a person. When many planets or in this decanate, the native would be spiritually inclined. Some might have problems like addiction and self-destruction. Degree 29 relates to the spritual peak. (Source: http://astrology.findyourfate.com/astrology-decanates.htm)

-----

A critical degree is a degree in the horoscope that is felt to have significance. The concept of the critical degree is based on Hindu technique of Lunar Mansions, which subdivides the horoscope into 13 degree segments, which is the Moon's average daily motion. When a planet or point falls on a critical degree it is often believed to be strengthened because it is on the cusp of the 13 degree house sub-division. The critical degrees are as follows:-

* Aries - 0, 13, 26
* Taurus - 9, 21
* Gemini - 4, 17
* Cancer - 0, 13, 26
* Leo - 9, 21
* Virgo - 4, 17
* Libra - 0, 13, 26
* Scorpio - 9, 21
* Sagittarius - 4, 17
* Capricorn - 0,13,26
* Aquarius - 9, 21
* Pisces - 4, 17
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_degree_(astrology))