Scans of Burdel Majors

kwaw

Abrac said:
19.jpg

Burdel is one of my favorite decks. I love the curly haired Sun of the Burdel - and it appears the bateleur and the lady from the world card have come together in a dance in the two dancing figures beneath the sun...

Yves Le Marseillais

burdel

Hello all,

OnePotatoe is a lucky man !!
I saw a full deck as I said previously.
You will see it in Marseille in 2013 and my picture of it.
Claude Burdel was french (close Lyon City) he emigrated in Swiss and his sons also becamed cardmakers in Fribourg.
his style is close to Pierre Madenié style but he added some interesting details i.e corona around Sun on Le Soleil card.

With this deck we are much closer to original Tradition than Nicolas Conver deck for exemple. For me of course.

See you in 2013 so ?

Yves Le Marseillais

moderndayruth

Thaks for posting the scans, Abrac! As Kwaw points out, The Sun is indeed very special! I am happy to learn about Burdel, i haven't heard about the deck before... Thanks! :)

sapienza

Thanks for the extra info. It seems such a shame that this deck is not discussed more. I've always found the Marseilles decks quite challenging, but the Burdel seems far more accessible to me, if that makes sense. Of all the historical reproductions that have been done, why not this one? The Conver seems to be considered the 'standard' and yet the Burdel was older. Anyway, I'm very new when it comes to Marseilles decks so it's all a learning curve for me.

But it sure was great to see those scans OnePotato posted :)

Yves Le Marseillais

Historical Tarots Of Marseille

Hello Sapienza and all,

Yes this Burdel should be more exposed (I mean the real Historical one from OnePotatoe)... and also Pierre Madenié deck (Madenié is from Dijon a City 200 km North to Lyon in France).
I had it too in hand: A wonderfull deck: Equal quality to Burdel and even supérior for some détails.
See my profile for having a list of this jewels such as Arnoult, Bourlion, Chafard, Fautrier and so on.

One day I will shows them but not here sorry for legal reasons.

Regards

Yves

Rafaël

Burdel images

Waow Onepotato, you've got a nice little treasure there!
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to you Yves for the info. I'll come to Marseille in 2013 for sure!!

Here are some more images (not so good quality, but don't have better scan myself):

burdel1751bis-1.jpg

Yves Le Marseillais

seekers/finders

Rafaël said:
Thanks for sharing.

Here are some more images (not so good quality, but don't have better scan myself):

burdel1751bis-1.jpg

Hi Rafael,

Only seekers are finders ;)

YLM

OnePotato

Rafaël said:
Thanks for sharing.

burdel1751bis-1.jpg

Hello Rafaël.

Ha!
That's actually my deck that you have found. :D
I bought it at the Christie's auction.
It's also pictured in vol. II of Kaplan's encyclopedia.

It's very nicely preserved.
It is a bit mellow with age, but you would hardly guess that it is over 200 years old.

moderndayruth

Rafaël said:
Thanks for sharing.
Rafaël said:
OnePotato said:
Ha!
That's actually my deck that you have found. :D
:D :D :D

What a treasure! Thank you for sharing!

sapienza

Thanks so much for sharing Rafaël. Now when I'm off dreaming of a true photo reproduction of the deck I'll have more idea what it would actually look like :)