4 d'Epées: How it may be read

.traveller.

It bothered me that the 4 was the only Epée not covered in the index, so I am going to give my own odd viewpoint of this card and hopefully a TdM master or two will join in. :)

I see the 4 d'Epées as a shield (as I do all of the even numbered sword pips, except for the 10 which is sword and shield as in heraldry) representing the concept of defense and protection. Odd numbered swords represent the idea of attack, counterattack, and parry.

Looking at the Noblet, there is a flower at the center of the shield nearly spent. The flower appears to be directing the last remaining vestiges of it's energy to produce a single seed. This flower/seed I read as either something I am protecting or something I am defending against.

Some things need to be left to do their own thing, they cannot be helped or rushed but need to be shielded from meddling. On the other hand, some seeds should never be planted because of their destructive nature (like lies, doubt, and bad attitudes).

Promise

For me, Epées are about intellect and things that require it, while the 4s are about stability and balance. I link 4s with the IVth Trump, Anpereur, again tying in logic and reason.

The 4 Epées is a card that I honestly love drawing because it makes me think and ponder on a deeper level. Mental stability, balanced thought, a calm and logical approach; but when do stability and balance cross a line and become stagnation and neglect?

Looking at the Vieville, which is the deck I have in front of me, the stemmed flower in the center of the crossed swords draws my eye as a reminder that even when things seem to be self-sufficient and "grown up", they still need to be tended with a watchful eye, lest they wither and die.

For me, it's a pivot card, and can often change the direction of a reading based on the card that falls after it, or sometimes even before it.

Moonbow

I hope to come back with some words later, but here is the Noblet by Flornoy to look at in the meanwhile:

swords04.jpg

Bernice

Looks like stunted or slow growth to me.
Of course it could also mean 'mulling' things over and maybe taking too long about it..... unable to bring something out into manifestation. Sitting on something for too long so that it is never likely to reach fruition (fruition?...)

Bee :)

ihcoyc

I can never look on the Four of Epées from the TdM - especially the Noblet - without being reminded of a talisman from the "Black Pullet", the most fanciful - and so the most amusing - of the grimoires from that tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Talis02.png

This is one of the most striking and successful of the Black Pullet talisman designs, many of which are very interesting from a perspective of pure design. The design seems to show a flower being defended from the forces of fire, death, time, and weaponry by the square border filled with gibberish symbols. Oddly, the stated effects of using the talisman seem to relate only dimly to the symbolism of the talisman.

The whole thing is available to read here:

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/grimoire/theblackpullett.pdf

At any rate, the Four of Epées seems to me to be about the safety of familiar thought patterns and established habits of mind. You already know the answer, it's just a matter of recalling it and putting it into practice. This situation does not call for innovative thinking.