The Answer Deck study group

sunflowr

I just purchased The Answer Deck the other day. Check them out here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0762417064/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

They've become a hot topic of conversation in the Oracle Decks area! :)

There are no written interpretations for most of the cards in the little book that comes with it. It is left basically to the reader to determine what the card means for her/his particular situation. I think a study group would be a great way to discuss the individual cards we get in a reading and what they mean to us and how it may apply in our lives.

Nothing formal. As you get a card in a reading (daily card or spread), start a thread for it, and we can all discuss it. Hopefully we will have our own forum soon! :) This will also be a great place to come and check out the different meanings we post for the cards.

Remember, we're all free to start a new thread for a card or reply/add to an existing thread. When starting a new card thread, remember to precede it with: The Answer Deck - name of card.

lunakasha

EXCELLENT sunflowr!!! :D

I look forward to this study group....especially because, as you mentioned, these cards are pretty much subject to interpretation by the reader! Sometimes the meanings just jump out at you, but other times, they make you go "hmmmmm???" :p

I think it is a good idea to look at the cards both individually and in groups (spreads). The reason I say this is because when I read with these cards, I tend to read them as a group (as in tarot) because the individual meanings are often influenced by the surrounding cards. For example, "Truth" next to "Secrets" is not the same as "Truth" next to "Communication"....etc.

I would like to start things off with a 3-card general outlook reading, and I will start a thread for it here.....

:) Luna

sunflowr

that sounds good! :)

sunflowr

ps: I also tend to read them in groups. Usually I read in pairs; I pull at least 2 cards, and string them together. I havent tried the spread yet or the mat the deck comes with. But I plan to.

lunakasha

sunflowr said:
ps: I also tend to read them in groups. Usually I read in pairs; I pull at least 2 cards, and string them together. I havent tried the spread yet or the mat the deck comes with. But I plan to.

I personally do not care much for the spread or the mat....but you should give it a try and see for yourself. I found that the cards kept sliding off the mat....and the spread just did not address what I was looking for.

However, I do like the idea of cutting the cards into three piles and randomly selecting cards from all three piles to use in the spread....I could use this technique with any deck of cards really, just for a little variety! :D

sunflowr

lunakasha said:

However, I do like the idea of cutting the cards into three piles and randomly selecting cards from all three piles to use in the spread....I could use this technique with any deck of cards really, just for a little variety! :D

Do you fan out the 3 piles and pick cards at random, or do you take the top card(s) from the 3 piles?

ps: I'm a fanner. I've always read like that. I just fan my cards out and pick whatever I feel drawn to.

sunflowr

Daily 2 or 3 cards?

When doing daily cards, particularly with this deck, is it better to pick 2 cards or 3? Just curious as to what your practise is. I'm just starting out doing dailies and did 2 cards yesterday.

lunakasha

sunflowr said:
Do you fan out the 3 piles and pick cards at random, or do you take the top card(s) from the 3 piles?

ps: I'm a fanner. I've always read like that. I just fan my cards out and pick whatever I feel drawn to.

I normally cut the cards and draw from the top....

BUT I must confess that I do enjoy the fanning method too....and now I am wondering why I don't use it more often!!! :laugh:
Now that I think about it, I usually end up with very accurate readings when I fan the cards and select them....

Hmmm....will definitely try it next time! :p

Alissa

lunakasha said:
However, I do like the idea of cutting the cards into three piles and randomly selecting cards from all three piles to use in the spread....
I hate mats. Mats are stupid, in my eyes. I hate them. Threw that away.

But I have used the spread they show on the mat, just without the cutting the cards into piles first.

AND...

I've also shuffled the deck, then cut twice, to make three piles. And then pulled from the far left as "Past", middle pile "Present" and "Future" pile on the far right.

I liked doing this, as so far I'm of a mind to use a LOT of cards for reading with this deck. It's more like getting additional pieces to the puzzle, for me. And usually I'm adamant about not using lotsa cards while reading.

But with piles, you can just draw one or two at a time, and if you need more info, draw another.....

I drew about 14-15 cards this way with this deck. But after a while, it was confusing too, I must admit. You do hit the point of "diminishing returns" if there are a whole messa cards everywhere, and things begin to spin outta control.

lunakasha

Alissa said:
I hate mats. Mats are stupid, in my eyes. I hate them. Threw that away.

I liked doing this, as so far I'm of a mind to use a LOT of cards for reading with this deck. It's more like getting additional pieces to the puzzle, for me. And usually I'm adamant about not using lotsa cards while reading.

But with piles, you can just draw one or two at a time, and if you need more info, draw another.....

I drew about 14-15 cards this way with this deck. But after a while, it was confusing too

Alissa! You sound just like me, LOL!!!
I usually prefer not to get too many cards into the mix....
but with these cards, it just....flows that way!

I took Chronata's advice and decided to read the cards as a sentence, with each card offering insight into the previous one.
I usually start with a three-card reading (to answer your question, sunflowr) but usually end up with anywhere from 6 to 14 cards by the time I am finished!!!

Yes, it does get confusing sometimes...I find myself sliding the cards around afterward, into sub-groups, so that the "story" starts to make sense!!! Now this is something I would never do with a tarot reading (shift cards out of position)....but with these cards, I feel very comfortable moving them around and trying to read them from different angles.

Oh yes--the mat is no good--have not thrown it (yet) but do not use it.....