Vision Quest Tarot 3 Grandmother

fairybugg

An older woman sitting in a corn field with a young child on her lap. Directly in front of her is a large vessel filled with corn. Behind her is a turtle.
She is a story teller-ready to share her legacy. Telling her grandchild about the turtle that holds the world on it's back.
I suppose that I connect with this card in a longing sort of way. Something I never had but always wanted. My grandparents where too busy smoking and drinking coffee to pay us any mind. But I longed for stories about childhoods long since over and stories of my families beginnings. I guess in the modern world we all long for that.

Soaring Eagle

I can see the grandmother as a story teller, as I see this card as meaning creativity and social gatherings. I also see financial access. Love is also in this card.

Maan

this is my personality and soul card according to M Greer and i always feel a strong connection with it

I like the fact that she has a child siting in her lap. She protects and loves. She is a save haven, the great caregiver and nuturer ( sp? )
She is wise and has seen more then one generation grown up. Yet she hasn't grown tired of it ans sees in every child something unique and special. Something to encourage and help grow.

She is more involved in the world then the medicine woman who she follows. She is a part of nature. She is sitting in the middle of a corn field and is harvesting that wich she has grown.

The turtle makes me think about a story i once read in wich god( spirit ) flooded the world ( as he/she does in almost every culture ) and that (s)he send 1 giant turtle to save a few. I'm not sure from wich culture this story comes but it seems to be fitting this card.

The big vessel makes me feel creative. She obviously had lots of funn making it pretty. A vessel filled or not filled are related to woman in a way that they/we have an empty space insight of us. A place for creation.

The spiral on the vessel as its never ending movement seems fitting the empress and mother nature.

Soaring Eagle

The turtle makes me think about a story i once read in wich god( spirit ) flooded the world ( as he/she does in almost every culture ) and that (s)he send 1 giant turtle to save a few. I'm not sure from wich culture this story comes but it seems to be fitting this card.

The big vessel makes me feel creative. She obviously had lots of funn making it pretty. A vessel filled or not filled are related to woman in a way that they/we have an empty space insight of us. A place for creation.

The spiral on the vessel as its never ending movement seems fitting the empress and mother nature.

I also have heard turtle stories such as the one you mentioned. There are many throughout the world, so I'm not sure which one it could be in your particular case.

You are right about this card having a signifigance to nature. I feel it also.

Mi-Shell

Misqua dey she'e, Mother Earth, the Turtle:
For most First Nations the Turtle represents Mother Earth - or better said the Earth is a giant Turtle, ancient, patient, loving and without much complaint carrying all living beings on her back from the past into the future. the Turtle walks or swims towards the East = future....
The stars that we see within the blue blanket of Father sky are Mother Turtle's brothers and sisters.
To many First Nations People the Turtle aside from that, is also one of their Clan Totems. The Haudenosaunee Nation fashioned their clan system after the 13 segments you can see on the back of the Painted Turtle. Each segment represents one clan.

Many Natives call our beautiful blue and fragile planet Turtle Island - in regard to the legend, that First Woman, Misacamigo-que, who was very pregnant, fell out of Sky-land to the watery world below. 2 white Swans, saw her and flew up to catch her in mid-air. She was set down softly onto the back of a giant Turtle, that swam in the waters of creation. There she gave birth to twin girls. Then Gichi-Manitou send her Maheengun , the Wolf , to protect her , hunt for her and teach her how to survive on Turtle Island.
Beaver and Muskrat were the animals that brought up mud and soil from the bottom of the water and spread it out on Turtle’s back.
To support First Family and the first land animals, the Turtle grew and grew to her present size......

Attachments

• Mother Earth and Misacamigo que.bmp
    125.6 KB · Views: 1,889

Mi-Shell

In most Native cultures it is avoided to call a person, especially an Elder by their name.

(Many people have a christian/ mainstream first name, a clan name and a name given by an Elder of the community due to a specific trait or an act of valor they are known for......)

A female elder is often called "Doda"( Mohawk) "Uncy" (Lakota) or "Nokom" (Cree) = grandmother by everyone,as a sign of respect.
Grandmothers are usualy much revered and leaders in community affairs.
While younger women in most tribes were discouraged to work with the sacred Medicine Ways, as Dodas or Uncies an Elder woman, a year and a day past her last Moon bleed may also now openly follow her Vision.

Soaring Eagle

In most Native cultures it is avoided to call a person, especially an Elder by their name.

(Many people have a christian/ mainstream first name, a clan name and a name given by an Elder of the community due to a specific trait or an act of valor they are known for......)

A female elder is often called "Doda"( Mohawk) "Uncy" (Lakota) or "Nokom" (Cree) = grandmother by everyone,as a sign of respect.
Grandmothers are usualy much revered and leaders in community affairs.
While younger women in most tribes were discouraged to work with the sacred Medicine Ways, as Dodas or Uncies an Elder woman, a year and a day past her last Moon bleed may also now openly follow her Vision.

I find that really interesting. I know I have read that for many nations the medicine man is just that, a man. My people have always had a medicine woman, but then they are matriarchal. The women of the tribe hold the power, not the men.

We do call our elder women "grand mother". I remember one elder in particular, "Grams" who was very special to me. Everyone went to her for advice.

Soaring Eagle

Description: The Grand Mother has a small child resting on her pregnant belly. She is in a cornfield, and there is a basket with tribal designs in front of her, full of corn. She has a husk of corn in one hand. A giant turtle is directly behind her, apparently moving upwards.

Significant Details: The corn in her hand symbolize cycles of new life and rebirth, plentitude. The turtle, which also appears pregnant, is her companion and spirit guide. It’s green color symbolizes growth, prosperity, and renewal. The turtle usually signifies mother earth.

My Interpretation: Unexpected gifts and blessings come to you. A possible marriage or commitment to a relationship is close. You may experience a possible pregnancy or period of creativity. Travel, pleasant recreation or social gathering will benefit you at this time. Financial security and fortune can be yours with careful planning and commitment. Goddess influences are at work in your life.

divinegoddess

I just would like to add also about the Grand Mother..
Even though the Grand Mother has white hair (of her mature age), she still today looks stunning. She has had good health, because of the wisdom, her generosity, sharing her knowledge with others, being spiritual as well as finding balance to her life.

Keywords*: Creativity, caring, productivity, the power of mature femininity wisdom, hearfelt empathy, compassion, love, protection, understanding, safekeeping

Inner message*: True compassion is a gift from the divine. Whoever is graced by it, is released from suffering. The heart can’t help but open itself to compassion’s touch and reflect love back in gratitude. This power exists within you as well. Let it reveal itself. Let your inner love-light become visible. Just open yourself to the source of your feminine powers. THE TIME OF THE WOMAN IS NOW! And so it is time to lavish all the respect and love you’ve got on your own female aspect, your inner soulforce. Who will embrace you, if you refuse to? Who will accept you unconditionally, if you don’t? Turn toward your feminine forces. Whether you’re a man or a woman, turn to cherish the female energies inside.

Outward message*: You’re in a perfect position to help others recognize their worth and find a more positive way to live on this earth. Your example is helpful. Most of all to yourself! Accept this responsibility. It may prove to be the greatest blessing of your life. Nothing is more satisfying than to draw from the well of your inexhaustible inner fullness and to let the energy of your heart with all its nurturing qualities stream into the world. Once you start recognizing your own Self in all those around you, you have no choice but to reveal your full potential. Your heart has been awakened, you have come home and realized your true being. Now live it!

My Interpretation: The Grand Mother asks you to use your creativity. She is comforting, she shares her wisdom and knowledge with you. She is very empathetic and close to nature. She’s very loving and very understanding. She asks you to be like her (when this card shows up in readings) – she wants you to find understanding of a situation and be loving, she asks you to get close to nature and use your creativity in whatever form it may come out (baking, gardening, singing, dancing, writing, painting, drawing etc.)

*If anyone needs it or wants it, the text is from the small accompanying book. Some might have lost it along the way ;).