Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Have done it a few times.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Playing cards ARE Tarot cards!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jlbvt

I see that some of our members can read with a regular deck of playing cards! I would love the convenience of being able to do this, not to mention the possibility of reading in public without any odd stares. What do you do about the lack of Majors??? I can't comprehend it. How do you do it?

Teranar

Because of my free spirited reading style one day I tried playing cards, and I just read what I felt, and came fairly close too. I do prefer a good deck of tarot cards way over playing cards though.
But since people seemed to think I'm a free tarot reading-in-a-box, they just randomly came up to me, no matter what I was doing, and just said Hey Man, read my cards! So one day I pulled out this deck of playing cards because amongst various things I'm a cardsharp, shuffled, dealed them five cards, and read em like a poker hand! So whenever anyone wants a reading in a disrespectful way, such as callimg me Mr. Cleo (No offense Forum member) I use the playing cards.

HOLMES

AH GOOD QUESTION..

the answer to this good question,,
how do you read with playing cards.
is this silly answer..
VERY DIFFICULT,

without pictures whose stories i understand.
so i voted the hard one..

alwasy been a pain of mine, trying to read non illustrated minors.. (though i find i am understanding,, half ilustrated is that a word?
pips like the thoth minors )

WolfSpirit

I never tried it, I have always had a deck within reach when I wanted to do a reading.
By coincidence, I saw a book last week on reading with playing cards in one of those very cheap bookshops...may check it out again, if it is really cheap I may get it just to see what they have to say about it...o no not another book })

Trogon

I've never even really considered it. As already mentioned... I kind of need the pictures to guide my intuition... such as it is.

As for the lack of Major Arcana - I don't think it would cause that much of a problem. I frequently have readings which don't feature any Majors. This doesn't cause me a problem in the reading. So, I wouldn't think reading with a deck of playing cards, sans majors, would pose any problem at all (other than the lack of illustrations).

If you can read with a Tarot deck with unillustrated pips, you should, I would think, be able to read with playing cards.

lunalafey

from playing cards to tarot

My first experience with tarot was a reading my aunt did with a regular deck of cards. She explained the focus to each of the suits, and what the numbers related to. I'm a card player as well and sometimes for tarot 'play' I will draw with playing cards. No pictures to relate a meaning to? Think it this way, what is the essence of each of the majors from 1 to 10. Apply that to the suit.
face cards are like kings, queens, etc. I have had quite right on readings with cards and with out majors. Sometimes it seems easier with out the majors.

Alex

My experience is limited

with playing cards but I do like it. It's frees you from biased interpretations. If you come accross for example the 4 of pentacles, you don't have that guy pictured in front of you hanging onto his money like a lunatic. Because that interpretation is a downside of the 4 of cups, not the primary or the only meaning.

I don't miss the majors as much as I miss the pages but... pages are a pain anyway.

Bests

Alex.

Alta

Hi folks. Your Readings is for posting spreads and asking for comments. This thread is a general discussion around reading with playing cards. I am moving it to Divination. Sorry for the inconvenience.

zorya

i try to read with playing cards frequently. i think it's good practice. it requires a good understanding of numerology and the suits/elements.

like unillustrated pips on tarot cards, pictures don't get in the way of the reading and there are no good/bad biases because of pictures.

one difference i have noticed, is my interpretations with the hearts tend to lean a bit more toward love and relationships than i might interpret with cups.

jlbvt

Sorry!

Marion said:
Hi folks. Your Readings is for posting spreads and asking for comments. This thread is a general discussion around reading with playing cards. I am moving it to Divination. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Sorry about that, I wasn't sure where the best place would be to post this. I did think that it would fall under the Tarot heading though, since it is about reading Tarot minus the Majors, with a basicly pips-only deck. I am grievously sorry for the mix-up.