Around the Tarot in 78 Days

Tiddles

As the book and the class are two separate subjects, from this point on let's keep those discussions in two separate threads.
Is there a separate thread for discussion of the class? I only see the one in advertisements.

rwcarter

No, but the next person who wants to discuss the class can start a new thread here in Tarot Books & Media. :)

starlightexp

So I got a chance to go though this as a friend got it and there is a section on Tarot Incense or Oils and being into oils and all I was excited to see what it said. It was two paragraphs saying to choose 2-3 energies you require, blend oils and place in burner... really? that's IT. Why even put it in the book then? It looks like a space filler. Anyone else a little disappointed about how just vapid some of the "wayside lessons" are?

Greg Stanton

I got this book sight unseen, based on recommendations here. Very new-agey, head-in-the-clouds, abstract — I don't get it at all. I've been reading for years, but if I don't get this book I can't imagine a beginner would have much luck with it either. Does anyone else have this impression?

Tiddles

I got this book sight unseen, based on recommendations here. Very new-agey, head-in-the-clouds, abstract — I don't get it at all. I've been reading for years, but if I don't get this book I can't imagine a beginner would have much luck with it either. Does anyone else have this impression?
I agree about it being a bit abstract. I have found myself wondering whether I'm going to learn a lot from this approach, or wind up being more confused, and worse off because of it. I'm sticking to it though, and that is a good sign, although I find myself rereading sentences and paragraphs 2 to 3 times. I should say that that isn't unusual for me with Tarot books though. I thought the chapter on the 10 of swords seemed a little too positive about the card, but that shows me that I haven't opened myself up to it having a positive side, which every card does have.

MandMaud

For what it's worth, I have read [most of] the Kindle sample which will be 10% of the book – that is, I'm on the Introduction. I like it, the concept of a country with landmarks, milestones, signposts and the Courts around to help when you get lost. What it's worth may be not much as I'm such a beginner... but perhaps it's simply about which way each person's mind / imagination works? I'm struggling with the Court cards at the moment and this approach is giving me another way into them.

I'm not allowed (by my own rules!) another Tarot book until I've worked through the latest two, which should have been one but include an impulse purchase, so I must not buy this for a while yet!
mm

Richard

......Very new-agey, head-in-the-clouds, abstract — I don't get it at all......
New Agey? Then it's definitely not for me. Anyhow, I don't see the logic in spending the same amount of time on each card. Some of the Minors are straightforward, but several of the Majors, such as Temperance (in the RWS, for example) have so much symbolism crammed in the image that it could take weeks to begin to get a decent handle on it. (I guess I'm one of those creepy weirdo geeks who is audacious enough to try to understand what was intended by the creator of the deck. :rolleyes:) Surely the author at least expects the reader to go back and do additional study on the more complex cards, after finishing the 78 day thing.

Tiddles

For what it's worth, I have read [most of] the Kindle sample which will be 10% of the book – that is, I'm on the Introduction. I like it, the concept of a country with landmarks, milestones, signposts and the Courts around to help when you get lost. That may not be worth much as I'm such a beginner... but perhaps it's simply about which way each person's mind / imagination works? I'm struggling with the Court cards at the moment and this approach is giving me another way into them.

I'm not allowed (by my own rules!) another Tarot book until I've worked through the latest two, which should have been one but include an impulse purchase, so I must not buy this for a while yet!
mm
I do like the way they've handled the Pages in the book. They help to really widen the meanings of the court cards. This, however doesn't make them any ” easier” it just further shows how complex they are, just as Joan Bunning had observed. In my opinion, they helped prove JB correct: a court card is difficult becausE it can represent so many things. I did like the breakdown they gave over the number of CC's in a reading, and what one represented, two, three , and so foRth.

RunningWild

The book is no more "new_agey" than the Golden Dawn. I agree with the comment that it should be viewed as a jumping off point for further study. It's not an advanced tarot reader's kind of book, I would be lost if it was, and it does have some valuable insights and interesting exercises.

Richard

The book is no more "new_agey" than the Golden Dawn. I agree with the comment that it should be viewed as a jumping off point for further study. It's not an advanced tarot reader's kind of book, I would be lost if it was, and it does have some valuable insights and interesting exercises.
If you wish to identify the Western Hermetic/Qabalistic Tradition wih New Age, then that's that. The New Age concept is amorphous enough to mean almost anything. However, while the 78 day thing is cute, how about 80 days, as in Phileas Fogg's adventure? Two days on each Major (44 days), one day on each court card (16 days) and two cards a day for the other minors (20 days). That makes 44 + 16 + 20 = 80 days. Also gimmicky, but more realistic, maybe. :) If you stay in the same place, you won't get fooled by the international date line, as did Fogg.