Deck of 1000 Spreads—New Spreadcrafting Tool

Lee

I've been reading the book for the last few days, and tonight I tried a few spreads. I really like it! I must admit, seeing the spread positions labeled like that took a little getting used to. But it works great -- in fact it's very freeing, because you can relax the part of your brain that you use to remember spread positions.

I tried the five-card, one-card-from-each-color method. First I simply chose at random from each color, which is a good method if you don't have a specific question. For my next reading, I had a specific question, and I went through each color and picked what seemed to me to be relevant cards, one from each color, and that too worked well.

For the last year or so I've been doing a lot of no-spread readings, looking for relationships between the cards to create lines of meaning. But I like solidly spread-based readings too, and this is a great way to do it without falling back into the rut of the same-old, same-old spreads. I really recommend this deck as a way to make things more varied and interesting.

I like the book because it appeals to different kinds of reading styles, from tradition-bound to completely freeform, with a range of suggestions in between.

Nicely done, Tierney!

schmedrake

Wow, Lee. You brought a tear to my eye.

And yeah, that freeing thing! You can concentrate just on the reading and not "ok what position is this and what is this position supposed to mean?"

Thank you so much for what you said about the book. :)

In fact, if you feel like cutting and pasting what you said here on to the Amazon's site, I would not be averse. :D

Honestly, though. Thank you. :)

schmedrake

OMG...LEE! I know you! :D Thank you so much. I still think about that TdM talk you gave.

Alta

Thanks from me as well Lee, good intro to the deck. I think my copy should arrive today.

schmedrake

Hooray! Thanks, Lee!

Alta, if you come up with cool spreads or different uses, photograph them and email them to me to share on www.1000spreads.com. I put email links all over the place there. I really hope you enjoy it. :)

Lee

I forgot to say, I used the RWS Commemorative in my readings, and found an unexpected effect -- the colors of the 1000 Spreads cards interact interestingly with the colors of the RWS, which I suppose would also happen with any deck. For example, the orange of the Orange (people) card picked up the orange of the card that landed on it, the Emperor. And the red of the Red (outcomes) card highlighted the red in the outfit of its card, the Knight of Cups.

schmedrake

I've actually had a lot of freakish experiences with that, Lee. Last night for my daily draw I drew a purple spread card and darned if the tarot card I drew wasn't the exact shade of purple!

But you bring up a really good point...what does that mean? I'm like you in that I read associations like that...colors across cards or a preponderance of swords...stuff like that. However I'm not sure I considered drawing those correlations in with the spread cards and tarot cards.

Brilliant!

shadowdancer

Congrats on the release of this, and the great feedback you have had :) Looks well deserved.

I had pre-ordered this through BD then cancelled it. Something kept niggling away so it was re-ordered through Amazon but sadly may not be here in time for the Mind, Body & Spirit festival next week here in Christchurch.

I really feel this has been one of those 'duh why hadn't it been done before!' moments, which I love. I am not sure I can top what Lee has suggested, and it sounds like those who have it in their wee mits have already come up with some terrific uses. I look forward to working with it though, and will certainly be leaving positive feedback on amazon.

Davina