Spread-Less?

stpcarly

I very rarely use spreads. Actually I think I only use spreads if I'm reading for someone in person, and that is just for their benefit (as it seems that is what they expect lol).

tarotberry

when i'm reading for myself, i frequently go "spreadless." i pretty much just ask a question out loud and pick a card. after interpreting the card, i ask another question and pick another card...repeat as necessary, season to taste. :)

it's only on like a birthday or an anniversary that i do a reading with a spread for myself but i do use them when i read for others. i think it helps people not necessarily used to tarot to feel more comfortable. i will deviate if needed ~ that is, draw additional cards to clarify, etc.

i recommend you experiment! it's fun! :) good luck...

Nevada

Yes!

Although I usually use kind of a vague 3-card spread, there are usually no position meanings, and sometimes I just start laying out cards without thinking about it, however many feels right. More if I need clarification on something. Sometimes it becomes a kind of dialog between me and the cards and goes pretty fast.

Try whatever feels right to you. It could be fun!

Nevada

mary ventura

(Disclaimer: I'm a beginner :) )

I often don't use a specific spread. Sometimes I'll shuffle & cut the deck, and just spontaneously say something with each card as I lay it down, something like: "
"Today's energy
Blockers
Helpers
Advice", or

"Problem
My part
Her part
Solution"​

(as I lay out 4 cards). Other times I'll just put the cards down without even specifying what each one would mean.

Mary V

Erzebet

I rarely use spreads and have done just fine! But, a big but, the last few months I've been wondering and worrying that I sould look into spreads and what they can bring to my readings. I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong with barely ever using spreads! All the spreads available though seem overwhelming! :confused:

FutureMoth

This has all been very helpful. Thanks a lot.
What I intend to do is much like what Mary Ventura was describing. I sort of have an idea of what I want to find out, and what question I want those things to answer. Rather than trying to force the question into a pre-existing mold, I thought it might be better to let the question take its own form. I'm not saying that free-form/ spreadless methods are better all the time. However, it seemed to fit the current situation I'm facing better.

SunChariot

Absolutely. In fact you never have to use spreads at all in readings. I almost never use them myself. It's been years since the last time I used a spread. There are not all the many rules in Tarot, you are always free to try new things and change things to suit your style. Whatever you try, if it works keep it, if it doesn't either adjust or let it go.

That being said, if you feel called to do something a certain way, as you said you felt how you should lay out the cards, that means you need to do it. When you are called to do something a certain way it's because the powers that send you the answers (however you choose to envision that) feel that that is the way they can send you the answers in the clearest way.

Babs

SunChariot

Erzebet said:
I rarely use spreads and have done just fine! But, a big but, the last few months I've been wondering and worrying that I sould look into spreads and what they can bring to my readings. I feel like maybe I'm doing something wrong with barely ever using spreads! All the spreads available though seem overwhelming! :confused:

I used spreads all the time the first few years. I tried all kinds and honestly when I stopped using them a couple of years ago, my readings did not suffer at all. I don't feel like I am missing anything at all. If anything I find they flow more freely without the spreads.

For myself, instead of using spreads, I tend to write out a series of interelated questions, then take them one by one choosing 1 - 3 cards per question depending on how detailed an answer I want for each. For some reason that is what works best for me personally. That way I can look at the question from all sides without needing the spread.

Babs

GreenMoonBeam

SunChariot said:
For myself, instead of using spreads, I tend to write out a series of interrelated questions, then take them one by one choosing 1 - 3 cards per question depending on how detailed an answer I want for each. For some reason that is what works best for me personally. That way I can look at the question from all sides without needing the spread.

Babs
More or less how I am practicing. I take care to word the questions which in turn might need another question. Find it amazing that perception changes
as understanding deepens.
GB!)

Cerulean

Creating spread layouts on the fly...

For others, three to 12 cards at most...no standard spread, just work in a pattern as the cards arise and the question is addressed.

I notice nine card layouts almost 'lay themselves' out in patterns of threes.

Just me, I'll pull cards randomly and then sometimes do layouts...I think I may have created them, but usually it's a variation of something I probably read or learned about before.

Just me thinking aloud---other people have a reading and layout style that probably differs quite a bit from mine!

Cerulean