The Book of Thoth

Rusty Neon

Is Book of Thoth a prerequisite to using the Thoth deck?

bagheera444 said:
Was wondering that since studying crowley's Book of thoth seems a prerequisite for this tarot.

Whether or not Crowley's _Book of Thoth_ is really a prerequisite for the Thoth Tarot deck depends on your approach to tarot. If you use an intuitive or humanistic interpretation, you can look at the images and symbols and use the deck without Crowley's book. In connection with such an approach, you could use tarot books like Arrien's or Ziegler's and use general dictionaries of esoteric symbols like the Penguin Dictionary of Symbols (by Chevalier).

Saying you need to read the Book of Thoth in using the Thoth deck is like saying you need to read the Golden Dawn's tarot materials and Waite's _The Pictorial Key to the Tarot_ in using the Rider-Waite deck. Many people, especially those who use intuitive approaches (à la Pollack, etc.), get by happily with the RWS deck without having ever read the GD materials or PKT. (On the other hand, I can't think of using the RWS deck without reading the GD materials and PKT.)

Cerulean

I just heard Lon Duquette speak

and he talked about all the funny pathways and odd blind alleys in 1970 trying to get more out of the Book of Thoth than the Lllewellyn export deck and the Bantom copy of the Book of Thoth. He had been a freemason and BOTA member for more than two or three years and still he was wavering from wondering what was Crowley about and the beautiful pictures that Frieda Harris painted.

His book Understanding the Crowley Thoth was a book proposed at a book fair by someone who knew his 1991 title on understanding Alexander Crowley's magical work.

http://www.lonmilo.com/

It's the book with the Princess of Pentacles, his favorite card, on the right.

I had him sign my copies of the books I bought and was very pleased with the lecture as well. The Thoth deck book contains some background on Crowley, the contents of the Book of the Law (which Duquette related in a hilarious true story of literally burning the book and replacing it within six weeks), and meaning descriptions, with pictures of the Thoth deck... I'm looking forward to enjoying it.

Mari H.

tarotica

"I would suggest you read only the Book of Thoth in relation to the Thoth deck. It contains more than enough theory, and is enough in itself to lead to great practice."

Crowley would disagree with you that it is enough.

"Book of Thoth" is an introduction to Crowley's ideas and other writings, which are necessary to read if you truly wish to understand his deck. More than this he recommends many other books, not always his own, as means to obtain deeper or clearer understandings of his own influences and assumptions.

"From there just meditating on the cards and making your own connections and comunicants , will always lead in a rewarding direction."

Occult Tarot was never intended to be accessible to the masses and their own connections. One can waste much time cultivating personal feelings about the meanings of occult Tarot symbolism. That is no substitute for actually learning the meanings of that symbolism.

"Theory and practice can easily be swamped by dogma."

Theory and practice uninformed by dogma is benighted daydreaming.

tarotica

Re: Is Book of Thoth a prerequisite to using the Thoth deck?

Rusty Neon said:
Whether or not Crowley's "Book of Thoth" is really a prerequisite for the Thoth Tarot deck depends on your approach to tarot. If you use an intuitive or humanistic interpretation, you can look at the images and symbols and use the deck without Crowley's book.

To do what exactly?

Many people talk about "intuitive" approaches or in your case a "humanistic" one. What do you mean by these terms? And how would you distinguish their procedures and whatever supposed benefits one enjoys from using them as opposed to studying Crowley's "Book of Thoth"?

Please give some examples of this from the Thoth deck.

Continued
In connection with such an approach, you could use tarot books like Arrien's or Ziegler's and use general dictionaries of esoteric symbols like the Penguin Dictionary of Symbols (by Chevalier).

One could do these things, but why should one choose to do so when he is using a deck which isn't "general" but is instead a very personal interpretation of Tarotic, again not general, symbolism?

Continued
Saying you need to read the Book of Thoth in using the Thoth deck is like saying you need to read the Golden Dawn's tarot materials and Waite's "The Pictorial Key to the Tarot" in using the Rider-Waite deck.

Assuming one means by "using" something at least akin to an intended use or a traditional occult use---and so not for example a use of the cards merely to build flimsy houses---one is very much obliged, if he would hope to have any real success with the cards, to actually learn what they are about. And that is just as important with the Waite deck as with Crowley's deck.

And yes, we can discuss what "success" means. But if it means anything more than satisfying ignorant personal whims, you've got to crack those designer guides and actually learn Tarot by the texts.

Continued
Many people, especially those who use intuitive approaches (à la Pollack, etc.), get by happily with the RWS deck without having ever read the GD materials or PKT. (On the other hand, I can't think of using the RWS deck without reading the GD materials and PKT.)

People can get by happily on ignorant feelings. Indeed, ignorance is felt by many people to bring bliss. But it is questionable that "getting by" is in any way getting real and true insights about or via Tarot.

Rusty Neon

tarotica/jk ... welcome to aeclectic tarot.

Phoenyx*

Welcome back to Aeclectic Tarotica.

AmounrA

Tarotica, "Occult Tarot was never intended to be accessible to the masses and their own connections. One can waste much time cultivating personal feelings about the meanings of occult Tarot symbolism. That is no substitute for actually learning the meanings of that symbolism"-

This is a new aeon, the eaon of Do what thou wilt, cultivating personal feelings are as welcome in this universe as watching out for giant white rabbits. The images can be expanded and brought to life in the Imagination ( 1-magi-nation) Once the sub-conscious gets invovled whose to say its personal?

"Theory and practice uninformed by dogma is benighted daydreaming."

Dogma for Dogmas sake. The journey can be swamped , and be turned into a quest for Knowledge. Perhaps likened to the 'false god, daath, the real fools crown. Universe is not rational, and there comes a point where everything you believe becomes a joke. What is wrong with day-dreaming? What is wrong with day-dreaming your own dreams and ideas?

I spoke to a blue star queen from Andromeda last night, and she told me she loves me, and wants me to go to merlins cave with her soon- who cares if its benighted day-dreaming
:)

tarotica

AmounrA said:
Tarotica, "Occult Tarot was never intended to be accessible to the masses and their own connections. One can waste much time cultivating personal feelings about the meanings of occult Tarot symbolism. That is no substitute for actually learning the meanings of that symbolism"-

AmounrA "This is a new aeon, the eaon of Do what thou wilt, cultivating personal feelings are as welcome in this universe as watching out for giant white rabbits. The images can be expanded and brought to life in the Imagination ( 1-magi-nation) Once the sub-conscious gets invovled whose to say its personal?"
In your effort to oppose what I said you have nicely illustrated the point I was making, which is that ignorance of dogma can lead you, based upon mere feelings about what things SHOULD say, to make the wrong conclusions about what things do in fact say. You quote Aleister Crowley for example: "Do what thou wilt", but you do so in support of the claim that it refers somehow to cultivating personal feelings in preference to or outright rejection of learning dogma, or in this particular case the intentions of the person who crafted the phrase "Do what thou wilt" for use with his religion of Thelema.

Aleister Crowley was quite explicit in pointing out that "Do what thou wilt" certainly doesn't mean "Do what you like" or "Do what FEELS good". He would have especially not meant it to indicate that the doing should be broken away from a base of rigorous instruction in the ways and means of properly doing things. More than this, the meaning of the phrase may not in fact be a declaration of personal independence from external obligations at all, since if you read the "thou" as a reference to an other, which Crowley hinted was a correct way of reading it, and indeed to a holy other, or a god, than what the phrase really means is that one should do as his god obliges him to do. That is, it is a vow of service, not a declaration of independence. And it is one made very much in the Christian tradition, by the way, as Jesus says much the same thing to God just before being captured and executed.
To turn that potentially profound idea into "watching out for giant white rabbits" is more than a little questionable. Of course you have the freedom to watch for the rabbits, but that's just the point---blind freedom is like a gun which can as likely be pointed at you as at your target. It is a dangerous thing. On my Mysteria page I have the following Crowley quotation: "It has always been fatal when somebody finds out too much too suddenly." Why should this be so? Because without the preparation of much training, in dogma as well as in life experience, the truth is actually something most people cannot handle or even survive.

continued

"Theory and practice uninformed by dogma is benighted daydreaming."

Dogma for Dogmas sake.

How does your comment follow from (or reasonably comment upon) what I wrote?

Be specific.

continued

The journey can be swamped , and be turned into a quest for Knowledge.

The journey may be a quest for Knowledge, or knowledge. What's wrong with that? And in certain parts of one's life a quest for knowledge can be an essential part of being able to move forward, or at all. Just because you feel like that's unfair or restricting doesn't matter. The facts of life don't change just because you don't like them. For example, you can pray to all the gods you want and yet you will still die. There is nothing you can do about that fact. You can wish that, without dogmatic training, you could get onto a jet and fly it. Yet, even if all you wish to do is guide the thing into a building, so you're not much interested in learning how to land or even surviving the flight, you still have to take flying lessons.
continued

Perhaps likened to the 'false god, daath, the real fools crown.
I think only the people who have worn that crown can honestly say whether it is false or not.

continued

Universe is not rational, and there comes a point where everything you believe becomes a joke.
What point would that be with respect to the ideas of Thoth Tarot?

continued

What is wrong with day-dreaming? What is wrong with day-dreaming your own dreams and ideas?
If you would substitute that for learning, there is much potentially wrong and very dangerous about it. Just daydreaming and wishing you knew something when in fact you don't, doesn't make you knowledgeable. It just makes you delusional.

continued

I spoke to a blue star queen from Andromeda last night, and she told me she loves me, and wants me to go to merlins cave with her soon- who cares if its benighted day-dreaming
:)
I'm sure nobody cares. But that's the point. If nobody cares then why even mention it? In Tarot forums many people relate their ignorant personal feelings about Tarot because they imagine that somebody else should actually care to hear about them. That is presumptuous, to say the least. Tarot is often claimed as just another newage healing agent, and in many ways 12-step rituals have been dumped onto Tarot in that respect. So people often feel, assuming that nobody could possible know THE truth about Tarot (even in part), that all opinions, even their own benighted ones, should be shared and welcome. But that feeling people often have is about what they ignorantly choose to do with Tarot and to project onto it and is not concerned with what Tarot is about, symbolically or traditionally. Thus a person who truly desires to learn Tarot should THINK first and feel good about it second.

AmounrA

Calderazzo

"I'm sure nobody cares. But that's the point. If nobody cares then why even mention it? In Tarot forums many people relate their ignorant personal feelings about Tarot because they imagine that somebody else should actually care to hear about them. That is presumptuous, to say the least"

You are a beauty. As you have posted this message of enlightenment on a tarot message board, I wonder if your own sub-conscious is betraying you. Perhaps you are talking to yourself?

"Tarot is often claimed as just another newage healing agent, and in many ways 12-step rituals have been dumped onto Tarot in that respect. So people often feel, assuming that nobody could possible know THE truth about Tarot (even in part), that all opinions, even their own benighted ones, should be shared and welcome. But that feeling people often have is about what they ignorantly choose to do with Tarot and to project onto it and is not concerned with what Tarot is about, symbolically or traditionally. "

...and your point is?

"If you would substitute that for learning, there is much potentially wrong and very dangerous about it."

Dangerous, begone ya bam.

"It just makes you delusional"
every one is delusional, there is no one truth. ( unless you know it?)

"What point would that be with respect to the ideas of Thoth Tarot?"

universe card.

"I think only the people who have worn that crown can honestly say whether it is false or not"

Why?

"For example, you can pray to all the gods you want and yet you will still die. There is nothing you can do about that fact. You can wish that, without dogmatic training, you could get onto a jet and fly it. "

Tell me, what happens when you die?

Phoenyx*

tarotica said:
I'm sure nobody cares. But that's the point. If nobody cares then why even mention it? In Tarot forums many people relate their ignorant personal feelings about Tarot because they imagine that somebody else should actually care to hear about them. That is presumptuous, to say the least.

You know, I've had this problem recently, the thoughts going through my head even as I post messages on the boards here, that perhaps people think that what I write is...stupid, meaningless, ignorant.
And then I wonder...is it my own deflated self-ego saying that, putting myself down? Or is it the truth? Who can say which of my words will touch someone's heart and which will not, which will be rich with deep meaning, and which will seem to be fluffy cloudy nothingness? I look around at the other members, people like HOLMES, or Rusty, or any of the many many people whose experiences and knowledge with the Tarot far exceed my own meager bits of knowledge, and I'm amazed.
The freedom of the written word, of these messageboards is that you don't HAVE to read the words typed.