The Book of the Law Study Group 3.3

Grigori

It's funny the associations the word "warrior" brings up for me. A warrior seems almost removed and separate to my understanding of war, as if the two were not connected. 'War' I associate with battles by governments, superpowers or industries, fought by others on their behalf, not something that is readily associated with nobility. Unlike the word 'warrior', which has associations more Arthurian, hand to hand combat with swords, and more personal. Somehow I'm very comfortable with that definition of warrior, when I'm not so consistently happy with war.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
Where is the line between the realities of the universe (as understood in the BoL) and the recommended social actions of a Thelemite.
Recommended social actions?

Look at the development of the Will of deity through the Torah to the Book of the Law.

1) Torah: It contains 613 separate commandments. 248 positive injunctions and 365 negative injunctions. If you find yourself in a dilema and don't know what to do you look in the OT and it tells you what to do. It's spirituality for kids who can't be trusted to behave themeselves. Do as you are told, or else!

2) New Testament: Not many rules this time, so there's more freedom of choice. But to help you choose you get a handy role model called Jesus. If you find yourself in a quandry you say, "I wonder what Jesus would do". Of course there is still the "threat" of punishment for getting it wrong, but you can always fess up and repent.
It's essentially a teenage level of spirituality. Not quite full autonomy. But there's a lot more freedom than in option 1.

3) Thelema. Grown up time. 1 guiding rule. No role models. Total freedom but also total responsibilty. You f*ck up, you carry the can. If this is too much then options 1 and 2 are still there for you. But in essence this is like leaving home, but being forced to return with your tail between your legs because you couldn't hack it on your own.

by zero

The Sepher Sephiroth lists The Lord of War = איש מל חמה adding to a value of 434. Which is equivalent to דלת with the known attributions.

Love under Will again.
But on the other hand also: If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

The idea of karma for Vengeance is pretty much in line with what wikipedia has to say about Nemesis, the goddess of revenge:
wikipedia - Nemesis said:
In Greek mythology, Nemesis (Greek, Νέμεσις ) [...] was the spirit of divine retribution against those who succumb to hubris (arrogance before the gods).
[...]
The name Nemesis is related to the Greek word νέμειν [némein], meaning "to give what is due".
and later:
wikipedia - Nemesis said:
The word Nemesis originally meant the distributor of fortune, neither good nor bad, simply in due proportion to each according to what was deserved;
then, nemesis came to suggest the resentment caused by any disturbance of this right proportion, the sense of justice which could not allow it to pass unpunished.
O. Gruppe (1906) and others connect the name with "to feel just resentment".
From the 4th century onwards, Nemesis, as the just balancer of Fortune's chance, could be associated with Tyche.

In the Greek tragedies Nemesis appears chiefly as the avenger of crime and the punisher of hubris, and as such is akin to Atë and the Erinyes.
She was sometimes called Adrasteia, probably meaning "one from whom there is no escape";
her epithet Erinys ("implacable") is specially applied to Demeter and the Phrygian mother goddess, Cybele.

But if you're in love, and you just got "killed" by your opponent, you know what revenge means. :)

Grigori

I see vengeance and karma as quite different, to me karma seems to fit better with Adjustment, while vengeance more fitting for The Tower. Though I see the similarities also, not least in the symbolism of the sword, on one hand balance, on the other attributed to Geburah. I've always considered Adjustment's sword as the same as on the Ace of Swords, and tied to a balanced ruach. It's interesting to also think of it as the GD's sword inscribed with the symbols and names of Geburah. Air or fire, as well as Tipareth or Geburah. I guess this fits well also with Ra(Sun)-Hoor(Mars)-Khuit.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
I see vengeance and karma as quite different, to me karma seems to fit better with Adjustment, while vengeance more fitting for The Tower.
What is Vengeance but the righting of a wrong, a payback in kind, a redressing of the balance.
Romans 12:19. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Vengeance also indicates violence and great fury. But, as I tried to point out before, the martial aspect is only destructive if you are out of alignment and fighting against it. Once you cease to block and present resistance, the energy works through you (Lust) rather than against you (Adjustment).

Out of alignment with the Will: "I am a god of War and of Vengeance." (Mars)

In alignment with the Will: "I am a god of Light and of Energy." (Sol)

Aeon418

Verse 148.

148 - NTzCh(Netzach) - Victory. The sephiroth of Fire and Venus-Love.

148 - MAZNIM(Moznaim) - Scales; Libra.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
What is Vengeance but the righting of a wrong, a payback in kind, a redressing of the balance

Hmmm.. If we posit a scenario where Aeon steals $100 from me, I would say karma is when I unexpectedly come into an extra $100 and Aeon unexpectedly looses $100, but vengeance is when I'm unable to get over my anger until I cause Aeon to loose $100, and even though I don't get my $100 back, it still feels good to make him suffer like I did.

These are my personal definitions, and apparently at odds with the intent of the BoL use, so read as just my thought process.

Always Wondering

OldComment said:
3. This whole book seems intended to be interpreted literally. It was so taken by the scribe at the time.
Yet a mystical meaning is easy to find. Exempli gratia; vv. 4-9.

This seems to imply a duel meaning. Did Crowley change his mind after writing it?

from New Comment said:
It seems as thou this "god of War and of Vengeance" is then merely one who shall cause men to do their won Wills by Going as Gods do, instead of trying to check the irresistible course of Nature.)

So is Crowley saying Grigori is better off punching Aeon418 in the face for stealing his $100, then they both shake it off, pat each other on the shoulder and get on with the going instead of staying bogged down in resentment?

Or if Grigori was in his mindful state, the loss of $100 wouldn't bother him so much? Maybe the going is more important to Grigori than the $100?

Or if Grigori was in his mindful state, he wouldn't have let his $100 get stolen?

I like the resentment angle Zero. That is one I can identify with. :|

AW