Your own quirks, peculiarities, and habits...

Ladyblackbyrd

I was wondering if there was a "rituals" thread or similar and I think this is as close as it gets!

...I always make a large cup of tea, dim the lights down and light up 3 large grey candles and 4 smaller ones which I place around the reading area. (I feel empowered by the number 7, my birthday is 7th/7th too!)

On the fence about getting a spread cloth as of now to add into this ritual, also pondering if I should start doing my readings on the floor

. . . If there is a "ritual" or similar thread please let me know!

I like to light a candle to signify my intention and light incense, so I guess that isn't quirky.
I also like to read barefoot.. I feel like it grounds me and connects me to the energy of the earth when I draw cards.
I don't hold my cards up to my heart chakra before I start shuffling, but only because I like to breathe on the cards. I have the idea that it activates my communication with the cards.

Pulling another card after The Wheel of Fortune comes up is a good idea..I am going to have to try that the next time that card makes an appearance.

Tanga

"Quirkes, perculiarities and habits"

Huh - what an interesting thread...

And I rather like the idea of "sealing" the deck when finished by turning the bottom one around so that both sides of the deck show the back. I may play with this...
Thankyou!

I was 'formally' taught to read by placing a major and minor arcanum pair in each card position.
So I usually already have my deck split into a major and a minor pile.
(I store them with the major and minor piles back to back, so I can find the divide easily).

1) For the very first reading of the day, before the client comes in, I 'count' the cards.
With pile in one hand, the other takes one card at a time and re-piles on the table whilst
I count in my head (56 and 22).
Face up, face down, this varies. This exercise just 'polishes up/clears' the energy of the cards that have sat about in storage, and gets me into gear if I haven't thought about them for a while.

2) Then I 'listen' for/think of the client and randomly choose a significator from the minor pile. I look at it and see if I may 'get' any 'feel' about who is about to walk in.
I replace the significator randomly back in the minor pile.

3) Next, the client comes in etc. - I ask the client to think of the question and shuffle each pile and return it to me. The larger minor one they can also cut into 2 halves (over the table so if they drop it - it drops on the table).
I prefer my client to sit on the same side of the table as me so they can see the cards
as I do (I hate - when I go to readings myself - finding that I'm craning my neck to see because the reading is upside down from me) - or on the corner if the table's too small for side by side.

4) Now I have 3 piles - 2 minor and 1 major.
I 'listen' to which minor pile I should deal from - and here the answer varies.
I deal the cards on the table in pairs, always one major and minor for each position.
(for clients - I usually deal face up. For myself I deal face down, and then turn them
over when the spread is complete).

When the client has left, I regroup the deck into 2 piles (major and minor) and shuffle
each one.

Like Ladyblackbyrd I prefer to read without shoes (usually have socks on) - I just find it more comfortable - rather than suddenly having random thoughts that my feet are too hot or I'd like to wiggle my foot and can't quite do it with the shoes on etc.

I was wondering if there was a "rituals" thread or similar and I think this is as close as it gets!
. . . If there is a "ritual" or similar thread please let me know!

I just posted a new thread "Tarot + Ritual Magic (Tyson)" - hoping for some like-minds out there. It may not quite be the 'ritual' that you are looking for though.
Check mine out - then start your own if it doesn't fit you. :)

Jeff0253

Is the major objection to riffle and bridge shuffling just that it bends the cards too much? Or do some of you think there are good spiritual / psychological reasons for not doing it? I've always liked to riffle and bridge playing cards--it makes me feel like I've handled the deck thoroughly. I am new to Tarot though and am interested in forming good habits.

Thanks, Jeff

Zephyros

Tarot cards are quite a bit more expensive than most standard playing cards. Shuffling them roughly can literally add years to them and get them in a sorry shape pretty quickly. So I think most people, myself included, object to riffling on those lines. If a sitter merely hints at shuffling them like that (at times with a bit of bravado, as if to impress me) I always stop them. I have a deck I've used daily for over ten years and although I don't really do anything to keep them in good shape, I firmly believe that they are in as good a shape as they are because I don't and never have riffled them.

seedcake

I cannot put the cards away unless a reasonably "nice" card is uppermost. I could never put a deck away with the Tower or Three/Ten/Nine of Swords or Death uppermost. Probably not even the Devil, but anything else would be ok.

I have this weird sense that something bad might happen to me because I left a bad card uppermost. Silly I know. But can't stop doing it.

I have the same, but I use only Majors. I can pick any, except Tower.

Jeff0253

closrapexa, thanks for the info :) I figured that was the main reason. But since the cards are almost like a Tulpa (at least for some of us), I also wondered about the psychological dimension.

I'm trying to decipher your screen name but am coming up blank--does it have a special meaning?

Fayrena

I like to use a table shuffle in there to make sure I get everything all mixed up. Then I do a hand shuffle. Then I cut the deck 6 times as opposed to just three, flip over a few into reversals, reform three cuts of the deck, and then reassemble as if I originally cut it into threes.

I'm very anal about making sure my cards are well-shuffled.

EarthAngel2911

What an interesting thread! I have a few quirks that I think are mostly due to my slight OCD rather than any superstitions. ;-)

I always, always wash my hands before I use my decks. It's like I just can't help it. And I don't think it's a fear of any germs or anything, but rather wanting to keep the oils from the hands to a minimum. <shrug>

And I have a pattern when I shuffle: 3 times riffle, then hand over hand, then 3 more riffle, then hand over hand again until they feel "done."
Then I hold the whole deck in my right hand (I'm right handed), close my eyes, and cut once with my left (receiving) hand. I see what people say about riffle shuffling, but I don't worry too much when they're mass produced decks. I don't riffle with self published decks though.

And my last quirk is to look at the card on the bottom of the deck after I'm done with my reading. (Only when I read for myself, though.) I don't know how I got into the habit, but I've had some success breaking the compulsion by using my Fool's Dog apps. :)

Le Fanu

Is the major objection to riffle and bridge shuffling just that it bends the cards too much?
I don't like it because I think it's showy. And because I like my cards. I'm with closrapexa on this one.

Jeff0253

I don't like it because I think it's showy. And because I like my cards. I'm with closrapexa on this one.

Well, I'd certainly never argue that anyone else should do it. I just like it as a means of feeling thoroughly immersed in the cards. I also like laying out a big fan on the table to pick from. Maybe I'm just a Tarot Philistine :)