Newbie question: me+my deck=bad vibes?

SunChariot

^THIS. Having my understanding of reality turned upside-down was just as upsetting as the possibility of demonic intervention. But once you get used to it, it's a whole new world, and the possibilities are endless :D

It's, to me, a much more beautiful world, once we adjust to the idea. The idea that we are NOT alone and just have to muddle around as best we can. But that there IS something out there that is kind and caring and wants to answer us, guide us and help us, if we just ask. Whenever we ask. I have to say I like the idea that life is caring and wants to help us succeed a lot better than thinking of it as uncaring or indifferent.

As a reader you see this. Whatever you call that and however you view that. it comes out when we read, We get those answers and help when we ask.

Babs

Belinda

I see them a little more spiritual then others do so I also will cleanse them a couple different ways before I use them. Typically I will do an incense cleanse of each card, let it "sleep" with a crystal to absorb any negatives and I like to lay them by the window during a full moon as well. I feel this is the right style for me and my practice, my husband doesn't do any of that with his cards other then keeping them wrapped in raw silk so each person finds their own way with time.

My niece had gotten some cards and asked for my help, I was extremely tired and asked to nap first and then we could dive in. She didn't wait of course and I get woken up with her freaking out thinking she made them angry or broke them. I looked at her spread and where she set it up and said well they are feeling disrespected, what do you expect? She had crumbs on the table, was talking to her boyfriend on the phone and via txt and had MTV on with some dumb show. I asked her if she would appreciate a friend askin her for advice but having all this madness going and only listening half way, she got the point, researched different ways to cleanse and did that, after that they read very well for her once she got passed the hype that tend to follow them.

When I bought my first deck, I almost got the RW but the art and colors just didn't go with me and I got a more artsy deck, not too crazy but something I connected with so if you feel the images aren't matching your style, research the thousand of decks out there and find a new style.

Best of luck and welcome to AC :)

Chthonic

OH MY GOODNESS, okay, confession time:

When I picked up the cards after shuffling them the first time, the very first card I pulled described my situation that day so precisely, while also framing it in a way that made me realize what I needed to do about the situation, that I may have panicked a little. It's exactly like you're saying--I never actually expected it to work, and I was really, really thrown when it did. You're totally right--I had to rework my worldview a bit in order for the whole thing to play nice with my brain.

I'm happy to report that me and my deck and my weird neurotic brain are all getting along quite nicely! I took some of the advice on here, and it really helped. I'm learning as much as I can and getting more comfortable, and I continue to be quite surprised by how accurate the cards can be when I'm in the right mindset to use them (except now I'm like WHOOHOOO about it instead of OMG WHAT HELP NO WHAT DO I DO NOW.) You guys are so sweet and helpful! I'm so happy I got up the courage to do more than just lurk on here...

cardwitch

OH MY GOODNESS, okay, confession time:

When I picked up the cards after shuffling them the first time, the very first card I pulled described my situation that day so precisely, while also framing it in a way that made me realize what I needed to do about the situation, that I may have panicked a little. It's exactly like you're saying--I never actually expected it to work, and I was really, really thrown when it did. You're totally right--I had to rework my worldview a bit in order for the whole thing to play nice with my brain.

I'm happy to report that me and my deck and my weird neurotic brain are all getting along quite nicely! I took some of the advice on here, and it really helped. I'm learning as much as I can and getting more comfortable, and I continue to be quite surprised by how accurate the cards can be when I'm in the right mindset to use them (except now I'm like WHOOHOOO about it instead of OMG WHAT HELP NO WHAT DO I DO NOW.) You guys are so sweet and helpful! I'm so happy I got up the courage to do more than just lurk on here...

I'm so glad you're already feeling more comfortable with the cards and doing your first readings. Way to go! :thumbsup:

ms_mai_mc

Hey! I am completely and utterly new to the forums and tarot, literally just bought my first deck a few days ago and am posting for the first time, so possibly this is just a newbie fail situation. But with that in mind...

The deck gives me bad vibes somehow. I've done a few of the 'new deck' spreads that people recommend, and the answers all seemed kind of excessively dire. Tried to sleep with the deck under my pillow, and literally twitched and felt anxious and had muscle spasms until I moved it away, whereupon I fell asleep almost immediately. Something just feels off.

I'll be the first to say I don't know what I'm doing--could this just be beginner nerves? I'm not thoroughly comfortable or confident about spirituality yet, that might be affecting this somehow. I'm also completely inexperienced in the world of rituals, but if anybody could recommend any that might help me connect better in this situation, that would be wonderful. I'm not sure what I believe yet, but the psychological element would help a great deal while I figure it out, and I'm pretty openminded.

...yeah, basically, somebody give me advice, 'cause I don't know what I'm doing and I am very anxious and self-conscious about the whole thing!

I believe energy comes with our tarot decks since they have universal energy flowing thru them with use, or our higher consciousness or spirit guides or whatever ppl feel. So with that, yes, you can have a deck that you just don't click with right. I'm sure you bought them for a reason so I'd definately keep them and maybe buy another deck. This time touch them first in the store. Even if that's just holding the box. Try to go by whatever deck draws u to it more. And with that always bless your cards. Or say a short prayer or ask your higher power or whatever you personally believe in to give you the most clear and accurate answers for YOU to understand :) hope this helps. Good luck

ravenest

I would try a different type of deck. Browse some pics of different ones on-line.

You might find one you click with and the energy flows between it and you better.