Would you draw on your deck?

PathWalker

very good point. And I actually feel very passionate about this deck and the connection I have with it. I'd like it to be a long term partnership and there for your point resonates.

A nice idea may to scan the cards, make a large booklet and draw any insightful info on the page in the booklet. A sort of journal. This way I could scan the natural pairs too. Ooooooo I feel a project dawning.

Now that is a great idea!
I tried to PM you last night by the way MagsStardustBlack, in response to yours to me. But your PM box was full. Not sure if that's sorted now, but it was just a "never mind and sleep well" kind of thing :)

Eremita90

Personally I've never felt the need to write on the deck, but of course there is nothing inherently wrong in doing it. Just make sure you wouldn't be bothered by it -of course, you can buy another deck later and keep this one for study, anyway-, or as you said, you may scan the cards. At any rate, if it makes you feel more comfortable with your deck, by all means go for it :D

tarotbear

I drew pants on the naked guy on the World Spirit 10 of Pentacles, because he looked kind of pervy.

This was done as a response to a similar thread in the past .... (but it's only drawn on a print, not on the card itself!)

Attachments

• RW retouched.jpg
    RW retouched.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 90

Tanga

"would you draw on your deck"

very good point. And I actually feel very passionate about this deck and the connection I have with it. I'd like it to be a long term partnership and therefor your point resonates.
A nice idea may be to scan the cards, make a large booklet and draw any insightful info on the page in the booklet. A sort of journal. This way I could scan the natural pairs too. Ooooooo I feel a project dawning.

I would keep a second deck to draw/write on - for as has been discussed - you may not like what you drew or wrote later... etc. But ofcourse writing and fiddling about with the actual images makes for a more interesting and effective memory aid.
Scanning to booklet is a fab idea - perfect.
When I was teaching myself - I wrote on my Hanson-Roberts deck in the white margins.
But later I hated the writing so I cut all the margins off.

In Andy Matzner's 'The Tarot Activity Book' ("A collection of creative and therapeutic ideas for the cards") - he suggests keeping a stock of decks for the purpose of art and craft - so you can cut them up, stick them together etc. :)
Well - I haven't quite brought myself round to doing this yet - but I'm getting there..
(Plus y'know, who'd want to buy a deck, just to cut it up...unless you're a Queen of Pentacles with the cash for such things...)
I think actually, I'll be off to the market this weekend to see if I can find any used decks cheap... (they don't have to be Tarot ones - I could use available images as parallels or ...
draw on the cards to turn them into Tarot...)
Hmmmm - I feel a project coming on too!.

Thanks MagsStardustBlack!

Cocobird55

The only deck I've ever written on is my Russian Victorian Romantic. I wrote the titles in English on the cards.

jillkite

i would only do it if i had a second copy of the deck that could be left unmarked, so in the future i would have the choice of using the deck i had written on or the deck in it's original form.

Richard

I'm constantly revising and refining my understanding of certain cards. If I wrote on them, they would soon be an undecipherable mess, so I don't do it.

rwcarter

I pimped an entire Rider Waite deck - blackened the borders and made major changes to every card in the deck. (Look for the Pimp My Rider! thread in Talking Tarot for more details and pictures.)

I say go for it. If you don't like the result, the deck is still readily available and you can buy another one.

VGimlet

I did it - but as an art project when I left cards from my damaged ijj deck in various places. It was a fun exercise, to come up with the meanings of the cards and write them in tiny little letters around the edges.

I might draw on a deck - but only for another art project. Not one of my actual reading decks. (To me it's like writing in a book. Even my own book...unless there is space for writing, I won't do it.)