Do earlier deck versions read better?

Aeric

Sometimes I see this opinion reflected mainly in the Big Three: RWS, Marseille, and Thoth. Possibly because these decks are so iconic and familiar to the general population that they receive the most attention.

I saw mentioned a couple of times that the Blue Box RWS, predating any Yellow Box versions, reads best. Blue Box is the earliest edition that's most easily obtainable on the market.

I've often thought it has a slight tinge of selfishness, that to have obtained a rare version of a deck grants one better readability than a more widely available and affordable commercial version. What difference do copyright dates on the cards, or different card stock, make in readability? Whether it's Pam A, B, C or D, is it truly important regarding successful interpretations of the same images?

In terms of provenance, you don't always know who previously owned the deck, or how it came into the hands of the seller. So you can't tell if it really passed through many hands that "energized" it, or if it sat forgotten in a dusty crate until someone needing money pulled it out and decided to sell it. What matters is you found it, you paid more, and it's the first version, so it somehow reads better than the cheaper newer version with copyright dates someone else click-ordered off Amazon.

Should the lucky owners who paid thousands for the surviving Pam-A crackle-back decks have the best readings of any RWS user in the world?

To extend beyond RWS to all decks, are we affected by marketing and nostalgia that we take pride in older versions of decks to the disdain of newer printings? How does and should this affect how we read with them?

Zephyros

I highly doubt it. The quality of a reading depends, in my opinion, on the relationship one has built with a deck, regardless of its printing date. That being said, printing methods, like anything else, go through fads and fashions. Durability seems to be the order of the day, with glossy, highly laminated cards being the norm (at least among the major publishers, in general). Many people don't like that, and perceived flaws in a deck tend to stand out because a reading is all about noticing things.

Obviously a deck that has historical value may have more symbolic "weight" to a reader, but not all of them. I'm planning to retire my ten year old Thoth in a while, and I'm actually looking forward to using a new, laminated version since I tend to punish my decks quite a bit.

donnalee

Hmm, I don't believe most of this at all, personally: if a deck REALLY LITERALLY belonged to Pamela Colman Smith, I might be happy to have it but would never read with it, since it would probably harm the deck, which I would consider a historical artifact of value to more than just me; if I found a deck REALLY LITERALLY owned and used by Crowley, I wouldn't go near it or have it in my house since he has creepycreepy vibes to me. I tend to prefer brandnew copies of decks since they have not usually picked up anyone else's vibes. If someone I cared about and respected maybe passed a used deck to me which that person had used with affection and integrity for years, I'd be happy to have it, and might use it for myself if it wouldn't wreck it. If one of my friends gave me a three-hundred-year-old Marseilles deck, I might be happy to have it if it didn't feel bad to me, would not use it to avoid wrecking it, and would probably give it to a museum that would make it available to folks to look at but not manhandle.

Your mileage may vary, but I think that 'old vibes' do not always equal 'good vibes', as least in my view.

Sometimes I see this opinion reflected mainly in the Big Three: RWS, Marseille, and Thoth. Possibly because these decks are so iconic and familiar to the general population that they receive the most attention.

I saw mentioned a couple of times that the Blue Box RWS, predating any Yellow Box versions, reads best. Blue Box is the earliest edition that's most easily obtainable on the market.

I've often thought it has a slight tinge of selfishness, that to have obtained a rare version of a deck grants one better readability than a more widely available and affordable commercial version. What difference do copyright dates on the cards, or different card stock, make in readability? Whether it's Pam A, B, C or D, is it truly important regarding successful interpretations of the same images?

In terms of provenance, you don't always know who previously owned the deck, or how it came into the hands of the seller. So you can't tell if it really passed through many hands that "energized" it, or if it sat forgotten in a dusty crate until someone needing money pulled it out and decided to sell it. What matters is you found it, you paid more, and it's the first version, so it somehow reads better than the cheaper newer version with copyright dates someone else click-ordered off Amazon.

Should the lucky owners who paid thousands for the surviving Pam-A crackle-back decks have the best readings of any RWS user in the world?

To extend beyond RWS to all decks, are we affected by marketing and nostalgia that we take pride in older versions of decks to the disdain of newer printings? How does and should this affect how we read with them?

Placebo Scotsman

Depends on the deck

Depends on the reader

It can happen that way by I don't think it's some kind of a rule

Despite all this talk about decks and personalities I am finding that my 3 TDMs, the Hadar, the Madenie and the Krebs, all speak with a very similar voice

But with my Visconti's on the other hand, The Pierpont-Morgan reads with more depth than the gold bling Los Scarabeo or any of my other decks, which is unfortunate because its cardstock sucks hugely

I am still trying to figure this out

dancing_moon

I think that's mostly due to personal bias. If we perceive a deck as 'special', we tend to pay extra attention to the cards, to their messages, and, perhaps, interpret them in a more in-depth, 'wisdom of the ages' way, subconsciously or consciously attributing more weight and significance to what we see in the cards. And, of course, if we're talking about slightly different images/coloring, even of the same deck, it adds to the equation.

PathWalker

My personal opinion - I don't think age of deck, or previous owner makes any difference at all.
If you're prepared to seek out an older version of a deck, and pay a lot for it, then presumably it's because you love the look of that deck very much.
When you read with it - because you love it very much - you might do your best readings. You love the feel of it in your hand, you love the colours and so on. You're deeply engrossed in the whole experience.

But it's not because one pile of cardboard is somehow more magical or reads better than a another.

I love some of my older decks, for the feel of the card stock, the printing technique, that kind of thing. I love some of my newer decks, because the artwork of theses new creations speaks to me. But the quality of the reading is about the reader really, not about the age of the deck.

nisaba

I would dearly, dearly love to believe that earlier decks read better (it would give me an excuse to get people to throw out their RWs and buy Viscontis!), but I really think a good reading is in the reader, not the deck.

opalbutterfly

I love what PathWalker said the age of a deck and just loving it (PathWalker, you put it so well!). That is mainly how I feel.

I also feel energy being put into it by a previous owner can make a difference to me personally (but whether that is only because I give it importance is a different arguement really), however my solution would be to cleanse it and really try and align it with my energies through meditation and working with it and probably sleeping with it. If I felt it came from a very negative and dark situation then I may think twice about working with it, however, I can't really comment on whether I would or wouldn't get awful vibes because it hasn't really happened. Maybe I would feel like it deserved to be cared for and read in a positive situation? I'm not entirely sure.

Citrin

I would dearly, dearly love to believe that earlier decks read better (it would give me an excuse to get people to throw out their RWs and buy Viscontis!), but I really think a good reading is in the reader, not the deck.

This!

I just cannot make sense of why a certain copy of a deck would read better than some other. It's in the images, the symbols, how well those connect with the reader's intuition.

Some readers have preferences though! I HATE how some RWS copies have the computer written titles on the cards, instead of Pamela's handwriting, and it annoys me so much I'd rather not read with a deck like that lol. So I guess if a reader found a certain copy very special, and like placebo works that he/she really believed that exact copy was better, yeah sure they would get better readings with that "right deck" than other ones.

moon_light

The cards are just paper, but boy can we have different reactions to the paper! There's nothing inherently better about older decks, but how we feel about them can vary. People will have different reactions when presented with an old deck. Some will believe it is special because it's an early printing. Some will be drawn to the energy of previous owners, while others will be repulsed. And some people will simply not care at all.