2 "Missing" Majors from early Tarot Decks

Fulgour

Rob & Onno (with friends)

augursWell said:
Yes, Onno Docters Van Leeuwen was one of the authors.
De Tarot in de Herstelde Orde
(Tarot in the Restored Order)
by Rob and Onno Docters Van Leeuwen

The Docters Van Leeuwen offer conclusive proof that
there are 24 Major Arcana, featuring Intuition & Truth
in the guise of Juno & Jupiter ~ with still the cards of
The High Priestess & The Hierophant (titles changed).

The clue is that for many centuries there has always
been included~ two blank cards to reveal the reality.
And then, everything begins to make perfect sense...

It's challenging reading... I'm ploughing through it now,
but if one is able to " suspend disbelief " it's exciting.

mac22

le pendu said:
The Cary-Yale Visconti has Faith, Hope and Charity, as well as 6 courts for each suit. We're not sure though how many trumps were there originally.

robert

Your best guess on trumps?

Mac22

Ross G Caldwell

mac22 said:
Your best guess on trumps?

Could be a lot of things. Dummett thought 25, Huck thinks 16. I'm more in Dummett's camp - I think the trump series should have always outnumbered any suit.

But I don't there's much use purely guessing, since nobody knows the answer. We can't know what a correct guess is. But we can speculate about it with the knowledge we do have.

In the Cary Yale, the Cardinal Virtue of Fortitude is present, along with the three "Theological Virtues" of Faith, Hope and Charity. Since Fortitude is there, it is a good guess that the other Cardinal Virtues were as well - but whether this included Prudence or not is an open question. It is because of this, and the presence of the Theological Virtues, that some commentators (like Kaplan IIRC) have suggested that the Cary Yale tarot might be a very early witness to the Minchiate, which possesses both the Theological Virtues and Prudence.

However, the Minchiate doesn't have six court cards for each suit, so this argument by direct comparison isn't really persuasive. Thus, the Cary Yale appears to be sui generis. Futhermore, the Minchiate trumps are only attested in the first half of the 16th century, and there is no real evidence of them a century earlier.

So, since the Minchiate seems to be a later development of the tarot trump series, and the Cary Yale does not seem generically related to it, there is no reason to think that the presence of the Theological Virtues in the remaining cards indicates that the Cary Yale means that it was a precursor or witness to the Minchiate in the first half of the 15th century.

So we are back to wondering what exactly the Cary Yale was, based solely on what is preserved.

We know that the full complement of Theological Virtues is present, and that the Cardinal Virtue of Fortitude is there. It seems unlikely that only one Cardinal Virtue would be chosen, so it is a good guess that the others were originally there. Was Prudence there? This virtue isn't present in any tarot deck but the Minchiate, and in the Minchiate Prudence isn't placed together with the other Cardinal Virtues, but at the head of the Theological Virtues, and far away from the other three, which are grouped as in traditional packs of the A or Southern type. Like the other additional cards in the Minchiate trumps, Prudence appears to have been ADDED to the traditional grouping in the Minchiate series, like the Theological Virtues, the Four Elements, and the Zodiacal Signs. These were all added as a single clump between the Tower and the Star.

So, if Prudence seems unlikely to have been there if the Cary Yale wasn't a Minchiate, it does still seem plausible that the other two Cardinal Virtues in traditional tarot packs were there.

Thus, if the Cary Yale had the simple distinction of having two extra court cards per suit, as well as the three Theological Virtues, then the full count of the Cary Yale cards was 89 (40 pips, 24 courts, 25 trumps (including a Fool)).

Michael Dummett entertained this idea as long ago as 1980. He also seemed to think that the Cary Yale might be the earliest form of Tarot, and that, by eliminating the female knights and pages along with Theological Virtues, the "standard pack" was formed (all this is in a footnote to his "Game of Tarot", pp. 77-78).

Huck argues that the number of trumps would match the number of suited cards - i.e. 16 in the Cary Yale (5x16), or 14 in the original Bembo Visconti (5x14). However, since there is no known tarot pack with such a symmetry, I am more persuaded the the "asymmetry" of the known packs - that is, the trump suit outnumbers any suit.

I guess we can only make educated guesses.

Ross

jmd

Perhaps Mac22's question is also more akin to 'how many legs does an animal have?' Even if we do not consider insects, arachnides and crustaceans 'animals', I would imagine that at the very least whales, penguins, vultures, gorillas and horses would be. So 'how many legs?'

How many trumps did early tarot have, or how many trumps did early card decks have?

Perhaps the Cary Yale did have 25; perhaps the Visconti did only have 16 in its first form.

This aspect of the stabilising of trumps to 22 is something that I do think needs to be accounted for, and something that may have been diminished from a Minchiate-type deck, or increased from an early proto-tarot such as a 16-trump Visconti.

So, one of the unstated questions is with regards not so much to images and card games of the time, but also what is to be regarded, specifically, as tarot... and also what are some of the likely influences that caused specifically 22 to be trumps.

The 'obviously' missing virtues are also important considerations.

Ross G Caldwell

jmd said:
Perhaps Mac22's question is also more akin to 'how many legs does an animal have?' Even if we do not consider insects, arachnides and crustaceans 'animals', I would imagine that at the very least whales, penguins, vultures, gorillas and horses would be. So 'how many legs?'

LOL - I didn't take his question as quite so problematic. I thought it was just about the Cary Yale.

I guess your point is that answering the question about how many trumps it had does get into problems of definition, as well as scenarios of tarot's development.

How many trumps did early tarot have, or how many trumps did early card decks have?

A set of permanent trumps is what distinguishes tarot from other types of cards. Assigning trump power to one of the regular suits, or part of it (like Karnöffel), is different. The latter does seem to come before the invention of tarot, and might have influenced it (I think so anyway).

It seems to me that this might be why the game of cards was called "naibi" instead of "kanjifa" when it came to Europe (remember the "ai" is not a diphthong, that is the pronunciation is "na-(H)EE-bee", not "naybee" - thus (and also because it is a different spelling in Arabic) there is no relation to the word "nabi", meaning Prophet.). The "Na'ib" is equivalent to the Knight and Jack in our decks, so maybe the game that first came to Europe was called "Na'ib" because he had a special role, perhaps as the highest card in a temporary trumping game.

In any case, I am convinced that trumping games pre-existed the invention of permanent trumps (I think most people are). But - this is an important point - a set of permanent trumps, distinguished from the suited cards in the deck, is a rare phenomenon. It seems that it was only invented twice, and in the same place roughly - northern Italy, first half of the 1400s. There is a good possiblility that the two forms of the permanent-trump deck were invented in the same place - Milan - so it is tempting to reduce to idea to once only.

The form of the two decks - the Marziano/Filippo one, and the Tarot, is obviously different, but the idea is the same. It seems that the Marziano/Filippo one came first, so if this was the invention of the idea of a set of permanent trumps, then whoever invented the tarot was probably inspired by the earlier deck.

The number of cards might or might not have been a consideration. For Marziano it was - he designed a deck on a "fourfold" pattern; there were four suits, and 4x4=16 "trumps". This is explicit. The number itself and its symbolic significance may not have entered his mind, but the fact of its fourfoldness did.

So, maybe the number of trumps in the later tarot deck was taken in the same way. Speculating, there are six court cards and four suits, so maybe the Cary Yale trumps were 6x4=24. That's not Dummett's reasoning, but it is his result (including Fool as outside the series, that's 25 "trumps"). On the other hand, Huck's reasoning from the "fourfold" argument is that it could just as well have been 16. But, since all known complete tarot decks have more trumps in the series than suited cards, and since there are obviously lost cards in the Cary Yale as well as an isolated Cardinal Virtue, it seems wiser to believe that the Cary Yale had more than 16 trumps.

Dummett added one other consideration to his speculations, that the ratio of trumps to suited cards is 3:2 in standard tarots (21 trumps, 14 cards per suit = 3:2); for him it was noteworthy that in the Cary Yale, with its six court cards, if the number of trumps were 24 (plus Fool), the ratio 3:2 is maintained - 24 trumps, 16 cards per suit = 3:2.

Not sure if I'm persuaded by that, but it is a comparison, like so many other things, to keep in mind.

This aspect of the stabilising of trumps to 22 is something that I do think needs to be accounted for, and something that may have been diminished from a Minchiate-type deck, or increased from an early proto-tarot such as a 16-trump Visconti.

Absolutely. The problem for interpreters is the lack of evidence. We can only rely on logic, spinning more or less plausible scenarios.

The solid facts of the chronology appear to be:
The existence of trumping games (with colourful names for the trumps);
The existence of a permanent trumping game (Marziano);
The earliest extant tarot trumps have the Theological Virtues among them.

Thus, when the 21 (plus Fool) number came to be "stabilised", the simplest solution is that suggested by Dummett - the three Theological Virtues were removed, along with the extra court cards. This resulted in a game played in princely circles in northern Italy, and finally in a popular version.

The problem may not be that simple, and there is no way to judge this scenario historically.

So, one of the unstated questions is with regards not so much to images and card games of the time, but also what is to be regarded, specifically, as tarot... and also what are some of the likely influences that caused specifically 22 to be trumps.

I have my theories, but I don't think there is a consensus beyond "it was invented in a princely court." Maybe not even that.

The number 21 is indeed in a 3:2 ratio with the suits, but that seems insufficiently explanatory. The best comparison was noted by Moakley, from a suggestion by Kendall, that 21 is the number of possible throws with 2 dice. She didn't go further than to merely mention this idea, but it might be very important. For instance, Decembrio, Filippo Maria Visconti's biographer, notes that he liked to play Astragales, which are a form of dice. We can presume the term included the cubical dice as well as the knucklebones type. What is important is that the throws of astragales and dice had names, and these are in classical sources Visconti might have known. He certainly had an interest in classical history, and games.

There is also the theme of "Fortuna" in the trumps, and dice and their 21 throws are a symbol of Fortune (and as Moakley noted, the throws of 3 dice are 56). So with all the mathematical, mechanical, ludic, and classical interests of Filippo, it makes him a good candidate to invent the tarot, just as he did the Gods and Heroes deck.

I think so too.

Ross

DianeOD

re Na'ib, naib etc.

Ross G Caldwell said:
It seems to me that this might be why the game of cards was called "naibi" instead of "kanjifa" when it came to Europe (remember the "ai" is not a diphthong, that is the pronunciation is "na-(H)EE-bee", not "naybee" - thus (and also because it is a different spelling in Arabic) there is no relation to the word "nabi", meaning Prophet.). The "Na'ib" is equivalent to the Knight and Jack in our decks, so maybe the game that first came to Europe was called "Na'ib" because he had a special role, perhaps as the highest card in a temporary trumping game.

You are mistaken, here, Ross.

Diane

mac22

jmd said:
Perhaps Mac22's question is also more akin to 'how many legs does an animal have?'

Almost my exact follow up questions..:D

Hehe guess I'm learning something.... when I can come up with decent questions -- Thanks JMD....

And your answers to those questions would be??

Mac22

mac22

My next question would be why were only popess & pope switched to Jupiter & Juno in the Major Arcana? I understand the Protestant aversion to Catholic tropes but was it done just for game playing purposes? Or were there other reasons as well?

Mac22

Anthonyt3

You would need to read the book, The Complete New Tarot (currently available & in print) by Rob & Onno Docters van Leeuwen in detail to answer that question.

I have now read the book from cover to cover, and I must say it is very exciting. It seems to be delving more into the esoteric history of the tarot, but the arguments the authors present are very compelling indeed.

Its worth experimenting with!! Take a deck that contains the 2 blank cards and try for yourself. You'll see it does give the tarot a "new" robustness and strength.

The Kabbalistic associations were a trend among the secret societies (eg Order of the Golden Dawn) in the 1900's What people don't realise is that Arthur E Waite took pains to strip away these associations and render the Tarot in its own special language.

What the bros. Van Leeuwen are now doing (they claim) is taking this one step further and saying the Tarot stands alone as a complete philosophical system. It need not be associated with Kabbalah, astrology or any other system.

One can still do this if so inclined, however; the 2 restored cards, Jupiter and Juno represent the polarity of Male and Female, positive and negative, yin and yang. So really there are still 22 numbered Majors; these 2 restored cards may simply represent the Pillars of Mercy and Severity in the Kabbalistic Tree of Life.

Grigori

Anthonyt3 said:
The Kabbalistic associations were a trend among the secret societies (eg Order of the Golden Dawn) in the 1900's What people don't realise is that Arthur E Waite took pains to strip away these associations and render the Tarot in its own special language.

I think its very inaccurate to say Waite stripped them away, but certainly he obscurred the esoteric attributions in his exoteric deck, as is to be expected. Kabbalistic references are rife throughout the RWS deck, they just aren't published on the borders for easy reference. The deck is supplemented in other ways which makes it perfectly workable without them.