OSHO Zen Tarot Study Group: XIX Innocence

Indigo Rose

"The old man in this card radiates a childlike delight in the world. There is a sense of grace surrounding him, as if he is at home with himself and with what life has brought."Osho Zen Tarot, by Osho

I love the harmony bewteen the man and the praying mantis. I see a great message about innocence and the freedom it brings.

:heart:

Judith D

I love this card - it has to be one of my real favourites. I love the fact that innocence is represented by old age instead of a child - whose innocence is in not knowing, rather than in knowing all. It makes me think of the buddhist lamas - their ability to let go, not attach, not grasp, but be 'empty', allowing for the joyousness of innocence. To me, the whole mood of the card is joy.
The cherry blossom is sweetness and spring - newness.
The praying mantis is common here in africa (there was one on my kitchen curtains this morning) and they are incredible insects. The afrikaans name for them is 'hottentotsgod' - basically god of the san people - and they are revered (and feared) by many african tribes. The female also tends to eat the male after mating, which gives one pause for thought! If you talk to one, it swivels its head on the body, almost as if it is looking at you and studying you, and communicating to you as well.

squeakmo9

Judith D said:
The praying mantis is common here in africa (there was one on my kitchen curtains this morning) and they are incredible insects. The afrikaans name for them is 'hottentotsgod' - basically god of the san people - and they are revered (and feared) by many african tribes. The female also tends to eat the male after mating, which gives one pause for thought! If you talk to one, it swivels its head on the body, almost as if it is looking at you and studying you, and communicating to you as well.

I have seen a praying mantis a couple of times in my life, they are beautiful, and facsinating. In New Jersey, if you are caught killing one, you'll be fined, because they are so rare here.
I have not thought of this mantis when looking at this card, the old man takes up all my attention, and then the blossoms. Working with older clients, it makes me understand what someone once said to me...grouchiness is not a natural component of the aging process, if one is a grouch as an old person chances are, they were grouches as young people.

firecatpickles

In the book it says "innocence of children is beautiful, but ignorant." In other words, innocence equates with ignorance & vice versa. I do not agree with this statement. Ignorance is bliss, maybe; but the truth (i.e., knowledge) will set you free...

I am intrigued by the praying mantis in the card. The ones down here are huge. They won't fit on the top of your hand, much less the tip of your finger! I love mantises.

It looks like the old man is communicating with the insect, as if she imparts some new information.

Commune with nature & look for the simplest solutions.

purple_scorp

Which one is innocent and which one is imparting the knowledge?

The man looks as though he has lead a very rich life, but still finds enjoyment in the simple process of sitting amongst nature and talking to another of God's creatures.

It does look like the man is saying something.......what do you suppose he's saying?

with love
purple_scorp

Master_Margarita

In a more conventional deck, this card would be called The Sun. Given its flower-child origins, this card put me in mind of the song "Let The Sun Shine" from the end of "Age of Aquarius" in the musical "Hair."

Indeed, this card radiates a pure white light from its center. I suppose Osho was the model for the wise innocent on the card, but its message is not limited by Osho's very real failings. Nor is the merit of my life undone by my very real failings. Thank goodness.

There's a real dialogue between two sentient beings, even if it consists solely of each being present to the other.

M~

Rev_Vesta

Innocence XIX

I look at this card.... and I think about the Journey someone has taken to get to this stage when you think you have the knowledge to move forward but really you still have so much more to learn.........You do not know everything yet to be The Master .........You must continue to study, to learn, to listen, to observe.....to open your heart still to new knowledge.....

You are more Than the Fool.......but yet you must not forget where you started at........who you were at the beginning of this journey...

Blessed Be!
Vesta