Tarot Apps - Good idea?

Greenwood

Hi everyone.

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were about tarot apps for things like the iPhone/iPod, Blackberry, etc.. Are they the next big thing? Are they a replacement for the decks themselves? Are they a bridge to bring people who have not been exposed to tarot much if at all into the fold? Are they worth using?

Or are they a gimmick, something you might use a few times then forget about? Are they a flash in the pan? Is the idea of using an app to do tarot readings illogical? Unthinkable? Is there no replacement for using the real thing? Does the subject matter of the deck make a difference?

These are a few things I've been wondering about lately and I thought I'd get some opinions from the experts. ;)
Thank you.

Greenwood

...and yes, I'm a lurker.
I decided to come out of the shadows for a change. :D

cardlady22

I am not an expert . . .
For me, it would depend on the programming behind what is being generated. If it's a random Card-A-Day thing, then it would only help me learn the cards. (not a bad use/goal, but nothing to write home about either) I'd like to see functions where the astrological & calendrical associations play into it as well.

Greenwood

Thanks cardlady22, you bring up a good point and another good question. If you are for the app idea, what would you want it to do for you? Are some decks better suited for apps than others? Would a more general app be preferable to a deck specific/themed one? (woops, more than one question)

Thanks again.

cardlady22

}) A whole can of worms, right?

I'm stirring things around . . . but off the top of my head, I'd say that certain decks lend themselves to different types of functions. Obviously, a deck where the author/creator has designated a detailed system would work better than a generic RWS clone. In my ideal world, there would be a choice of "modes" or plug-ins where I could specify what level to analyze or generate the card(s) from.

Greenwood

Wormy indeed!

That takes things to a whole new level of complexity.
Perhaps too much for an iPhone app? Would buyers of this type of thing want all that? It sounds like something more suited to that sleek new Apple tablet that may be in the works. ;)

Bernice

I would have thought that the most useful software would allow custom card & postion meanings. That way a person could test out various methods/meanings.

Individual preferences re. astrological or numerology, or anything else, would then be entered into the program by yourself.

Bee :)

rif

I have a tarot app for my iPhone but don't use it much.

When I do, I turn off the spread indicators and just use it to get three cards.

I tried the Lenormand app out as well; and while it's a nice app, the card-a-day is lacking for me.

There are a glut of iPhone tarot apps nowadays.

Greenwood

rif said:
I have a tarot app for my iPhone but don't use it much.

When I do, I turn off the spread indicators and just use it to get three cards.

I tried the Lenormand app out as well; and while it's a nice app, the card-a-day is lacking for me.

There are a glut of iPhone tarot apps nowadays.

No as many apps as there are physical decks though. ;)
So in your case, the basics are all you are really looking for, if you use it all.
And Bernice, you want a lot of in-depth/expanded features. Do you think the portable format of mobile devices lend themselves to that level of complexity?

Bernice

Rif: Do you think the portable format of mobile devices lend themselves to that level of complexity?
Ah! I didn't mean for portables (ipods, iphones etc). I meant for pc use - which could still be portable between pc's. (Not platforms though).

Bee:)