why cant people say what they do....

214red

i am glad the accurancy debate has been put to bed, both sides are right in a way, for instance if you do a reading and say someone is going to get married in the next year and they do...that is correct and accurate, however the field gets muddy when say they get married 366 days after you said they would, its techinically not accurate as its over a year, but really in tarot it would be seen as accurate. what if you said they would get married within the year, and your right, but all the other details were wrong...now that reading to the sitter would be only partially accurate.

yes/no questions are easy to measure, but when measuring tarot readings it becomes muddy as many have already said, peoples views on what is said in the sitting differ, so the biggest problem is how to do you measure someone elses view and expectations? you can only validate certain things. tarot readings are very emotive so logic doesnt always reign...how do you measure happiness? if tell someone they will be happy in 6 months time, how do you measure that?

Also mediumship readings can be more specific but more accurate...i am not convinced by the readings i have given and recieved, it all depends on who gives you information (loved ones, guides, angels, communicators, others), they also have a view, which might not be the same as yours, the info some of them give you is subjective even though many dont beleive that.

re-pete-a

Phew ! Glad thats settled.

When DID that inquisition period end.

Imagine if your life was dependant on your views and feelings, appeasing others opinions, based on words and cold logic.

Tell you what!

Lets have a debate about how shuffling should be performed.
Better still lets turn it into a full contact olympic sport.
last card standing gets read by the victor.

214red

shuffling? lol@RPA
sometimes i dont shuffle...i simply pick a card

but Shhhhhhhh dont tell the suffling mafia

Umbrae

BeyondtheVeil said:
I said "I" the general public -{meaning that "I" do NOT give professonal readings so therefore I am answering as the "general public" and not a professional reader}
BeyondtheVeil said:
I disagree. Yes.. in the post that "I" wrote talking about the reader who gives me 'accurate" readings.. I expect and get "predictive information that comes to pass to the letter". I, of course, am only talking about my experience with a specific accurate reader.
Just wanna back up a tad BTV...

This is a place where professional readers, and readers seeking to become professional readers can discuss (as Solandia stated states) issues specific to professional reading.
Solandia said:
...issues relevant to professional Tarot readers, authors and teachers - marketing, promotion, skills development, customer management and more.

IMO - Now it is okay to post here even though you admit you are not a professional. You are stating your opinion about one specific professional that you know.

Ideally, this thread should have gone to Talking Tarot, as 214red was discussing the labels worn by other readers, and not labels we should use as a 'professonal'.

Spelling and punctuation tell us a lot about a person. Not simply intellegence, but thought processes.

How we use words (grammar) is even more important. It allows us to be understood and to understand. It allows the sitter to understand what we're trying to tell them.

Remember - The cards you draw are accurate! What comes out of your mouth could be complete trash. We cannot assume that A leads to B. The reader makes or does not make that occur.

The descriptive labels we use as readers says a lot about who we are and what how and why we do it. It is a very important and critical subject for the professional reader.

An intuitive or psychic or just plain reader may not do predictive spreads! Not all psychics look forward! Not all Intuitives intuit forward!

But I know a really good intuitive who can tell you which valve set is loose on a volkswagen 3600hunnerd engine...an he ain't psychic at all...

franniee

I am still lost as to what a regular tarot reading is. I am not being difficult.... really. How does one read tarot cards without using their intuition?

214red

franniee said:
I am still lost as to what a regular tarot reading is. I am not being difficult.... really. How does one read tarot cards without using their intuition?
i personally think traditional tarot readers still use intuition, i think everyone uses intuition in their everyday life so its normal.
i think a regular tarot reading is reading the cards, and whats seen, i think Ginny hunt said it best with her 'squirrelly readings' podcast. traditional tarot readers will notice their eye drawn to something on the card, or an aspect of the card in the context...however they arent going to tell you information thats comes through mental mediumship like clairvoyance etc

Baroli

214red said:
i personally think traditional tarot readers still use intuition, i think everyone uses intuition in their everyday life so its normal.
i think a regular tarot reading is reading the cards, and whats seen, i think Ginny hunt said it best with her 'squirrelly readings' podcast. traditional tarot readers will notice their eye drawn to something on the card, or an aspect of the card in the context...however they arent going to tell you information thats comes through mental mediumship like clairvoyance etc

See, I'm stuck on your use of the phrase traditional tarot reader. What is that? What traditions are these readers following? Not trying to be snarky, I really would like to know,...:)

franniee

214red said:

Well I do that - notice something specific but often times something will come thru - not someone but info. Because then what I understand you to be describing as a tarot reading is really more than just reading the cards..... So you just don't want a medium type reading when you sit down for a tarot reading? I get that. I've been to psychics and had my reading hijacked by deceased loved ones. :D I smiled when I read that part of one of your posts. I like to leave the deceased alone. But I also figure when that happens that if they are there then there must be a message for me. :) Although I don't need the reader to prove to me that they are a medium..... I'll take it on face value now let's get onto my reading about this or that..... :laugh:

I met a psychic the other day at the shop I read at and during the course of a mundane conversation the divine came through to give me a wink. It warmed my heart. He was not reading me at the time - but he delivered the message.

Umbrae

franniee said:
I'm lost as to whata mediumship reading is.

I mean - Do I have to talk to the dead? What if they say they are dead but are really demons? Or what if they say they are demons but really dead folks? What if they say they are angels but are really demons? What if they are angles and straights and I'm without a protractor!!!

They never fill out the applications I leave for them so I can verify their incarnation records.

And how do we label ourselves as such without confusing the prospective clients?

Is this the list? As it should look?

• Traditional reader - looks at cards and uses direct memorized paragraphs from noted authors, regardless of contextual connections with the sitter.

Semi-traditional reader - looks at cards, uses memorized paragraphs from noted authors and has opinions of their own, regardless of contextual connections with the sitter.

Non-traditional reader - uses their own opinion, and opinions of others, about the cards regardless of contextual connections with the sitter.

Intuitive reader - uses combinations of all the above and makes snap judgments about contextual connections with the sitter.

Psychic reader – Eschews books and opinions, and uses the cards as triggers (can read with them face down if needed) for information coming from intangible sources (ether etc) to provide a readings with contextual connections with the sitter.

Cold Reader – one who uses pre-memorized spiels to give seemingly accurate, validated statements about a sitter, may use body language and observational skill to further provide contextually accurate information about the sitters life.

Medium-ship Readings – sitter uses tarot cards as an adjunct to seemingly talk with spirits providing contextual connections with the sitter. (why use the cards at all? Why not just talk to Pazuzu direct? It's a local call).

I don't think so...what about those of us who are 'all of the above'?

Sheri

franniee said:
For me it is about the message. I don't care what cards you use or tools or no tools it was always about the message. When I went for readings I wanted to know what I wanted to know so how you got there was immaterial. I love to watch others read but I enjoy the process. I love to see how they or how they don't make magic.

I find labels annoying. In all aspects of life. Just show me what you can do.

That said..... I don't want you merely reading the cards - card by card - I want you to be able to transcend the cards and hear the message that is meant for me. For me it is alchemy - call it what you will but there should come a time when the message is more than the summation of cards on the table....

What she said :D :thumbsup:

If you are going to add a descriptor of some type, it really is dependent on what the public in your area is comfortable with. Some places where there are more fundies around, using "intuitive" or "spiritual" is less threatening than the words "Tarot" and less "con game" sounding than "psychic." In some places, by law, you are only allowed to read cards for someone if you are a "spiritual counselor."

Perhaps I am copping out by avoiding labels completely, but I really dislike them. My business name is "Readings by Sheri." My signs do not have "psychic" nor "intuitive" in them because they don't matter. I throw the cards, I see the message, I deliver it. I read with lots of different things, sometimes cards. Sometimes I throw cards that I don't use... they become the framework and the triggering mechanism for me to know that anything that comes into my head during this time is for the sitter... whether it is shown in the cards or the spirit of a passed, beloved grandpa is coming through... so I just say what comes through. The tool isn't important, the message is, and it is going to come through no matter what I use to assist in my receipt and delivery of it to my sitter.

The focus should be on the message itself and not on the method of delivery or if the reader giving the message is performing all the prescribed items on a sitter's mental checklist of what "psychic," "Tarot," <insert additional labels here> readings should be made up of. The only criteria the sitter should care about should be "Did I get a good reading?"

People and life shouldn't be easily categorized. To do so is always diminishing to someone.

:love: Sheri