Experiments with "Eye Rhythms" in the Dodal

Le Fanu

Oh god, the dreaded "all pips" layout with no peering eyes to interpret :(

I shall simply post first impressions without even reading your thoughts first. I shall just dive in, see what strikes me, first impressions and all that, then read yours (and others') interpretations and think about other levels of meaning over the next few days.

I think it is important to post before being influenced by the other!

The first think that strikes me, numerologically speaking, is that we have even-ness (4, the ultimate number of control and firmness) flanked by odd-ness either side, 7 & 3.

Oh god, the 3 of Swords again. Good job we're not reading Rider Waite style otherwise I'd be thinking both our lives are an ongoing saga of misery, grief and despair (judging by the spreads we draw)! But no, these are pips...

I have to confess, looking at those three cards I'm a bit flummoxed. I don't quite know what to latch onto...

money + cups + swords in progression? Does that mean something? The images funnel from left to right? 7 then 4 then 3?

This is one of those moments when, if I were doing a proper reading, I bet I'd just panic and come over all RWS...

The single, encased Coin within the curlicue foliage draws my attention... but what might it mean? Oh dear, not doing very well. Nothing else comes to mind. I think this flanking of even-ness and solidity (4) with oddness (7 & 3) is as far as I can go just now...

Trying to be succinct IF it were a reading...

Isolating a single factor to restore the harmony of the central 4? Would that make sense (just throwing stuff out there)? Isolating a single element (that coin) in order to get an accurate, stable sense of things and before a true, rational, incisive analysis (swords) of the situation can be arrived at?

Now to read what you made of it!

Herzog

sometimes I connect the number with a major card. Seven would be Chariot, Four Emperor etc.

Seven is on a mission. Four is controlled. Three creates. When I factor in the suit and a few other things, I can begin to weave a story... sort of :)

Le Fanu

I suppose this is where we might bring in numerology.

Seven = 4 + 3; the four elements of the body plus the three elements of the soul.

But it is interesting that these three cards read like a sum in reverse!

Don't you think that with the lack of a picture we have to resort to numbers and suits? Either that or the curliness of the vines, or simply the formal aspects of the arrangments of pips. This is where I'm not quite so comfortable, but I am glad it has come up!

thinbuddha

I tend to fall back on elemental dignities when I can't figure out how pips are interacting. It's not really the best habit, I think, but it's what I do because it's where I came from... So this is how I would read this spread:

Somebody is quietly unhappy when it comes to the way something valuable was divided. Their discontentment could boil into a full conflict, and needs to be addressed (the sooner the better). A meeting of all the parties involved is advised, where a solution as to how to divide the property (or money) can possibly be devised, though it's unclear from the spread if a true solution will be found.

Herzog

thinbuddha said:
Somebody is quietly unhappy when it comes to the way something valuable was divided. Their discontentment could boil into a full conflict, and needs to be addressed (the sooner the better). A meeting of all the parties involved is advised, where a solution as to how to divide the property (or money) can possibly be devised, though it's unclear from the spread if a true solution will be found.

That's very interesting. I can kind of follow you're interpretation along with the cards. Would it be possible to break it down along with the cards... for learning purposes...

Thanks

thinbuddha

I'll explain my thinking, though like I said, elemental dignities are my fallback, so I don't know that I would advise anyone to use ED with TdM.

The way I read ED's is that I read a line of cards as if they were a circle. ABC becomes a endless loop ABCABCABCABC (in other words the first and last card are next to each other and have effect on each others interpretation).

The coins are an earth card, surrounded by water on the right and air on the left. The air card is an enemy of the earth card, which is where I get the discord from- with the water and air having effect on the earth card, I'm getting an image of a brewing storm (wind and rain) that hasn't started yet (no fire cards)

The 4 Cups seems to be a meeting of 4 people. The 4 are each separated from the others by elements of the vine. It is a water card surrounded by an earth card and a air card- which brings to my mind a sort of fresh spring- possibly symbolizing ideas to renew relations. There are no fire cards (fire being the enemy of water), which indicates that such a meeting is advised.

The 3 Swords - An air card surrounded by water and earth. This seems like a mist or fog to me which is where I get the idea that this solution is still unclear, and may not happen. The swords hinting at a possible division of property, but this could also be an indicator of continued strife.

Bernice

I looked at the 3 cards and once again the centre card stood out (for me); Looked like 'pleasant concord all around', i.e. The 4 corners of the earth, or issue.

The flanking cards suggested:
7 coins = exploration. Touch of numerology here - the A. Coates 7 is often widely travelled, and the coins are round.

3 swords = an agreement or commitment (perhaps kept in place by force depending on adjoining cards) to be kept to.

So, "To explore within strict parameters will result in a pleasing & stable foundation".

Bee :)

Le Fanu

I have to confess, this spread has stumped me rather!

It is interesting what others say but I would never get there. There are times when numerology has to be brought into play (what is the "A. Coates 7", Bee?)

I can kind of see where Bee's reading comes from but I'm not sure I would get there. I shall not be disheartened as we are learning! :)

But I'm not sure what I could have got from this apart from my initial response.

Bernice

I'm thinking that a lot seems to depend on our individual 'take'. But it was good to see that we came up with similar thoughts with the previous 3 cards - this often happens with astrology even when different approaches are used.

The A. Coates 7 = Austin Coates wrote a numerology book using a grid approach with the numbers 1 - 9. Probably considered rather 'outdated' but supposed to have been derived from the chinese. None-the-less, I found it quite fascinating and some of it must have stuck with me.

Bee :)

P.S. Le Fanu: "But it is interesting that these three cards read like a sum in reverse!"

I wonder if your natural inclination is to 'see' the cards from right to left? And my snapshot view seems to take the centre card???

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
P.S. Le Fanu: "But it is interesting that these three cards read like a sum in reverse!"

I wonder if your natural inclination is to 'see' the cards from right to left? And my snapshot view seems to take the centre card???
I think I was looking from right to left simply because I wasn't quite sure how to look and was looking for something, anything to latch onto!

My natural inclination I have noticed is to see the central card as a kind of anchor and the flanking cards as influences/hidden aspects. This comes quite naturally to me, but of course there are other ways of reading a set of 3 cards, as we are seeing...