The Victorian Romantic Visual Journaling Study Group - discussion thread

Sheri

Thanks for the link, Baba-Prague! I have never done anything like this before, and wasn't sure what an accordian book was, the Gallery page of the link showed the books and now I get it!

I was thinking about doing a journal using a separate back and front cover with 3 or more holes on one side that would allow me to use a ribbon or leather to "bind" the pages together - that way I can change the order of the pages or put thicker elements on the pages and not have to worry about the book fanning up on one side...still thinking about it - the accordian books look cool too!

Great idea to do this!

valeria

Little Baron

Hmmm.

I don't know.

I suppose that if we have a thread per card, then that might suit all. Besides, it doesn't affect how you actually run the project, personally.

If you draw a card and do 'your thing', you can start a thread. If that happens to be the card someone else is using for a weeks study, then you post there also. As long as all imagery is held together, I think that should be ok. Yes?

LB

bleuivy

Sounds like a good idea to me, LB.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be buying my journal over the weekend. I'm quite excited!

Little Baron

bleuivy said:
I'm quite excited!

Me too. As if havn't got a million other things I should be doing.

LB

Jewel-ry

LittleBuddha said:
Hmmm.

I don't know.

I suppose that if we have a thread per card, then that might suit all. Besides, it doesn't affect how you actually run the project, personally.

If you draw a card and do 'your thing', you can start a thread. If that happens to be the card someone else is using for a weeks study, then you post there also. As long as all imagery is held together, I think that should be ok. Yes?

LB

I reckon this is the best way to do it LB, that way we can work at our own pace and post to a thread already started or even start a new one if necessary. I wonder if we can still keep a different thread going for miscellaneous discussion?

I bought a ring type journal today, well really its just an A4 book but it has really nice paper in it. It is black but I really liked the feel of it so have no idea yet how that will work. I already had a bag of hand-made paper which I bought a while back in all sorts of shapes and sizes and it has some wonderful colours to play with and have found old postcards and fabric and some lace and ribbon although I am not sure of the best glue to use for such things...would appreciate guidance there.

My plan is to just work on one card at a time and try to express my own meanings for the cards and so could include anything...whatever takes my fancy and indeed any thoughts that are pertinent at that time. What I will say is that I am not an artist, I can't paint or draw, so I can categorically state that it wont include anything like that, which is one of the reasons why I went for the black paper. I know nothing about artists materials so thought I would break myself in gently and just go for a collage journal in the first instance.

Little Baron

Jewel-ry

What you don't know, you will learn. ;)

And what is an artist, anyhow? I am looking forward to seeing what you create. Call yourself a creator. I think that the one most surprised by the results, will be you! For me, this is going to be all about growing. Not perfection. Things will evolve and we will be able to look back at those many layers - in art, tarot and life.

I am looking forward to comparing and revealing layers with you all ;)

LB

Moonbow

This sounds a little like scrapbooking to me, which is hugely popular over here at the moment.

Maybe you could Google scrapbooking for ideas and downloads, there are loads of sites on it.

darwinia

Since I am not a subscriber and use an outside link for pictures, I had planned to do a weekly or bi-monthly update with an overview on things I'd worked on and a link to a picture.

I thought this was a visual sort of thing rather than a verbal/written blow-by-blow study?

Because I would be hopefully doing several cards per week I was planning to post in a more general way and not under a thread for a specific card.

I don't quite understand why this would be deemed incomprehensible by moderators. This study group is about the visual journal pertaining to a specific deck and how members develop it, not really about each card, although journal-makers will be doing pages for each card.

So, since this has never been done before, why should participating members be constrained, and frankly impeded, by conventional Aeclectic study format?

Sorry if this sounds ratty of me Sulis, but maybe it's time for a different approach? Maybe the forum would consider fitting itself to what people need in this type of visual study, rather than insisting on people performing what has always been done for conventional study?

bleuivy

Perhaps we could only have five threads: one for the majors and one for each suit? Does that sound doable for everyone?

bleuivy

LittleBuddha said:
Me too. As if havn't got a million other things I should be doing.

lol - I haven't time to do this really either, and yet I'm going to! Muahahahahahah!