Mel's Old Fashioned Pips & Courts and Homemade Baked Goods

Bernice

Thinking......... lets try another angle.

The Kings of the four suits are associated with the best (highest-value) pip card of that suit. The Queens are associated with the next best (highest-value) pip card. etc.

And yes, the temperaments of the Cup & Coin Kings are exactly the same as the Aces (best, highest value pip-cards in those suits).

But the temperaments of the Baton & Sword Kings do not match the temperaments of best (highest value pip-cards). This is why the Baton and Sword suits are less than Positive. The Swords being the least positive suit, i.e. the truly Negative suit.

I don't know if I am not trying to figure out just some unusefull detail...it is connected with planes of tetractys and their relationship to courts
If you do find any further (useful) detail about the arrangment of the tetractys, please let us know :)

Bee :)

Moonbow

Moderator Note

By popular request, and because this is a cracking system using an holistic approach, this thread is now a sticky. :)

It is by no means the one and only method of reading with a Marseilles deck so please also see the other reading methods for Marseilles and historical decks

Moonbow* and Bernice

Melanchollic

Mmmm. The "sticky" baked goods are always the most tempting!! :D

I'm so happy people are getting some use out of this system. It is still one I use often, though I've been charmed by a completely different method I've cooked up for quick, fun readings at parties, pubs, etc., just using the Majors.

For the last year or so I've kept myself relatively inactive here and elsewhere online (I even closed my Facebook account :eek: ) in order to get myself to focus completely on a novel I've been writing (or not writing) for several years. The project is now in the hands of several unfortunate souls who owe me something, and have been forced into the purgatory of being proof-readers for me. Hopefully I won't need to do too much rewriting!

This means I will most certainly soon be found wandering the plum-hued halls of Castle Aeclectic in the darkest hours of the night, a glass of cognac in one hand, my pooh-bear in the other..... Waa ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Cheers

prudence

Melanchollic said:
Mmmm. The "sticky" baked goods are always the most tempting!! :D

I'm so happy people are getting some use out of this system. It is still one I use often, though I've been charmed by a completely different method I've cooked up for quick, fun readings at parties, pubs, etc., just using the Majors.

For the last year or so I've kept myself relatively inactive here and elsewhere online (I even closed my Facebook account :eek: ) in order to get myself to focus completely on a novel I've been writing (or not writing) for several years. The project is now in the hands of several unfortunate souls who owe me something, and have been forced into the purgatory of being proof-readers for me. Hopefully I won't need to do too much rewriting!

This means I will most certainly soon be found wandering the plum-hued halls of Castle Aeclectic in the darkest hours of the night, a glass of cognac in one hand, my pooh-bear in the other..... Waa ha ha ha ha ha ha....

Cheers
MEL!!!!! It's great to see you back!! I am still trying to use your system, sort of mixed up with a bit of intuitive stuff, using the character's directional glance, imagery etc.... other than using an oracle deck here and there, it's your Old Fashioned Pips that I've been practicing ever since I popped into this thread.

Best of luck to you with that novel!!!!

And thank you Moonbow* and Bernice for letting us know that it has become a sticky. Yay! :D

conversus

Welcome Back Mel and Pooh!!!

Bernice

Mel! You've returned as a nearly-published-novelist. WELCOME!

Now getting my Mel-notebook out and brushing up on the humors/elements. It's good to have you back (big chesire cat smile).

Hiya Pooh-bear.

Melanchollic

Bernice said:
Mel! You've returned as a nearly-published-novelist. WELCOME!

Now getting my Mel-notebook out and brushing up on the humors/elements. It's good to have you back (big chesire cat smile).

Hiya Pooh-bear.

Bee, Pooh bear asks if there are any threads about honey?

A Mel notebook?? :eek: Oh dear. One of my ex-girlfriends had one of those and things got pretty ugly!!

I'll post my newest concoction shortly, though it may not be one for the Virgos. It is pretty 'lite' on structure, uses just the Trumps, and relies totally on the general meaning of the allegories. No kabbala, astrology, or even humours. It was designed to be quick and easy, but still give a clear definite judgement. I designed the method explicitly for the amusement of 15th century court ladies, should I bump into any down at the pub. In other words, it is an authentic fake 15th century card divination method. :D

Ahhh. It's nice to be back.

Moonbow

Good to see you here Mel.

I'm looking forward to the new 'lite on structure allegorical quick and easy authentic fake 15th century Mel Method'. :) Sounds like my type of method!

alec

Hi Mel,

Somehow Dame Fortune nudged me in the direction of this Pips and Courts thread and nothing has been the same since. It's been said that an adequate teacher gives facts, a good teacher questions, and an excellent one awakens a hunger for the subject. I for one wouldn't hesitate for a moment to put you in the last category. Since starting to work this "old fashioned" method I've slurped down Iamblichus, waded through Aristotle, wrapped my head around humors, implements, elements, dignities and powers. All my long held associations of suit and element have been realigned. I've even started to look a little askance at the Fool. It's been fantastic.

Since coming back to tarot about a year ago (after a long break), I've had a strong desire to be able to read tarot as others do traditional horary astrology. To me this means being able to answer a specific question clearly and accurately using a Marseille or other historical deck. Your method of combining elements for the suits and numbers and then joining them with neo-Pythagorean numerology and dignities is light years ahead of any of the other methods I have found previously.

Some of the best things about this system:
* Intelligence and intuition are needed in equal quantities
* Card meanings are flexible within a clear structure
* Readings are direct and to the point

So, questions.

1. My brain is chugging like a computer from 1986 when I work through card meanings in a reading. How long did it take for this to get easier for you? (Did it get easier?)

2. Since this method is so clear and answers direct, it is tempting to provide answers! Many of the questions that querents bring to us are considered "inappropriate" by some of the tarot luminaries. Do you have any thoughts that you would be willing to share here (or offline) on where to draw the line?

3. Court card dignities. Are the K, Q, Kn, P above the pips when considering dignity, or are they equivalent to the pips they master (e.g. (P Swords -1, 10 Swords -1) or (P Swords -2, 4 Swords -2))? I'm still a little unclear on this point.

With sincere gratitude,
Alec

P.S. Your 12 - 3 - 7 model of the trumps hit me like the 7 of cups. Simply brilliant, Mel. People need to know this stuff! What would you think about my writing up a quick description (with credit to you) for my blog? Much more importantly, any way I could help you put together some kind of book or more permanent collection of your tarot thoughts? As wonderful as AT is, it is only a small island in the larger tarot sea.

alec

Is anyone else using this system right now (Dec 2010)? If you are, would you be interested in exchanging some readings?

I haven't started the Klatch thread yet, but will as soon as I finishing working through the rest of this pips and courts one.

Alec