Best Tarot Books

gregory

I just look at them and if they look interesting. I'll read them.

What do you mean by different takes though ? I don't use card MEANINGS from books..... Things like Mary Greer's 21 Ways don't do meanings as such; nor, in essence, does Huson - he delves far deeper.

In one memorable case (I'm not naming it; there is already one vitriolic thread) I saw a book I knew was really bad in a used book store, looked at it and it was, even worse than I had heard.... so I bought it for a laugh.....

greatdane

Hi Gregory!

By different "takes", I just mean different perspectives about reading cards and how and what they may mean. I know it's subjective, but what does confuse me is when a book using the same system (like RWS) seems to really contradict another book using that same system.

gregory

If you read a book about RWS it refers to that deck. TdM likewise.

I am (still) reading Duquette but wouldn't think to relate it to any non Thoth deck.

It's not that hard. If you read a book about German literature you don't expect a lot of it to apply to Italian, if you see what I mean.

Reading - I read as I read. I don't take meanings from books. A book isn't likely to dramatically change that.

daphne

gregory said:
Huson. No contest. The other will be FAR easier afterwards.

Thanks! So, Huson first (amazing, I was convinced Huson is far less complicated than bohemian.)
Another question, I was looking yesterday for new GOOD tarot books to read and I found "Guide to the Pythagorean Tarot, An Interpretation Based on Pythagorean & Alchemical Principles" which looked nice. Have anyone read it, some opinions?

daphne

greatdane said:
I was wondering, how did everyone decide which "vision" of tarot to go with when choosing a book? I mean even those authors who choose a specific system like RWS often have different takes on the cards, so what made you choose the books and authors you did?

Well, in your question is in fact the answer. I already have my internal system for readings which never failed me, any book I read can only, maybe, slightly variate some small details, if at all. The readings are something very personal for me and it is not the result of a system read in a book.

I am just so fond of the Tarot subject, that I am hungry to read as much as possible on various topics about it, mostly with an aesthetic eye, not necessary "scientific". I am not looking for systems or meanings in these books, I just want to be delighted by the beauty of different approaches/philosophies/connections/stories. That is why I make my choices, when it comes to tarot books, following reviews and recommendation from people here who talk a little bit more than for the beginner needs.

Freddie

I chose those books, because they are considered 'classics'. I would agree with reading any Tarot book for just the pure enjoyment of it...I do. I don't follow/believe every book I read. Your view/take of Tarot could be based on anything or nothing at all. Michael Dummet would have a field day with me arguing about Tarot history, I don't accept any of his findings...now Knights' Templar..Freemasons..TDM is oldest deck...Jesus..Mary..Holy Grail...Black Madonna...Kabbalah..there I go again lol... I assume most of these beliefs were formed by reading classic Tarot books, but I have read other Tarot books (Dummett for example) that I have enjoyed without taking any new learning on.

I find Tarot books just plain fun to read.

Have fun reading,

Freddie

gregory

daphne said:
Thanks! So, Huson first (amazing, I was convinced Huson is far less complicated than bohemian.)
Another question, I was looking yesterday for new GOOD tarot books to read and I found "Guide to the Pythagorean Tarot, An Interpretation Based on Pythagorean & Alchemical Principles" which looked nice. Have anyone read it, some opinions?
I wouldn't bother unless it comes with the deck, or you will end up desperate for the deck as well ! It is very deck-specific.

daphne

gregory said:
I wouldn't bother unless it comes with the deck, or you will end up desperate for the deck as well ! It is very deck-specific.

Too bad it`s so deck specific, it sounded so interesting.

Silver Crow

I have to disagree with Gregory on the Pythagorean book - I find it very useful with all my tarot readings, but I'm into numerology and often add it in to my readings. I think the book has a fascinating take on the tarot, and love it so much I just bought a set for my son.

daphne

Silver Crow said:
I have to disagree with Gregory on the Pythagorean book - I find it very useful with all my tarot readings, but I'm into numerology and often add it in to my readings. I think the book has a fascinating take on the tarot, and love it so much I just bought a set for my son.

Then, I guess I have to check it myself.:) Thanks, Silver!