Tarot in Movies

Dean

U.k

Hope that link helps?

ShekinahMoon

zoso said:
Has anyone seen the movie The Red Violin? It's a very good movie starting with a tarot reading and all the transitions are the laying of another card, which brings the whole movie together. Has anyone seen any other movies where tarot is tied in?

I just saw this movie. Totally amazing. The reading of the cards and the story it told, the symbolism in the movie, the eternity of true love and how amazing was the ending as it reflected what the reader said so many centuries ago that the death card represents rebirth. The violin begins a new journey. Even the movie credits were great with each section of the credits represented by one of the five cards that was pulled in the reading.

Little Baron

Saw the opening credits to 'Game of Death' today (Bruce Lee), which shows the 'Death' card from the Marseille.

LB

nightillusion

Just saw this...

Lolith said:
I don't know if this would count as being tied into it, but in Wes Craven's "People Under the Stairs" tarot plays a part in the very beginning. The main character, named Fool, is having his 13th birthday. His sister does a card reading for him, and that's the whole first scene of the movie. Throughout the movie, the reading is mentioned, as well as his nickname. I think it tries to tie it into the movie, but only has a little to do with the acutal storyline. This movie is a really cheesy horror movie, but I like it regardless and thought I'd mention it. :)

After reading this, I rented it to watch over the weekend. I did like how the reading at the beginning seemed to come true throughout the movie. One thing though, this movie is definitely not for those with weak stomachs!

Becky

Emeraldgirl

Not sure if it has been meantioned yet but Dangerous Liasons havs a couple of shots of people playing the game tarot using a suitably aged large Visconti-Sforza deck.

CelticGirl

This is a TV show and not a movie, but when I was in my early teens there was a show on TV that I really liked called My So-Called Life. It only made it for one season, though they still play it on The N I have noticed, but a couple years ago my parents bought it for me on DVD. It stars Claire Danes. Anyway, there is one episode that they have that is based on the tarot. "Other Peoples Mothers" is what the episode was called. I watched it last night because this thread made me think about it. When Angela (Claire Danes) went to her friends house, her firends mom was reading tarot for them. Then she went into some detail about the cards and went into detail about her readings. They showed the deck quite often, although I don't know what deck it was because I have never seen it before. Also, throughout the show they showed the kids reading with the cards and then at the very end, while Angela was talking about the events of the show she was comparing them to differet tarot cards.... it was pretty cool. :)

Fulgour

Calista appears as a Reader several times here...

Elektra said:
Saw "Things You Can Tell Just By Looking At Her" last night - Calista Flockhart does a Celtic Cross spread for Glenn Close. Oversized deck, though I'm not sure which deck it was - looked like one of the RWS variations. (This movie is also on the Tarot Totes website :).
from IMDB summary

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210358/plotsummary

An anthology of five loosely connected stories dealing with a variety of very different women in dealing with their own life problems. The first story "This is Dr. Keener" features Glenn Close as a doctor looking after her invalid mother who comes to realize that her own life is passing her by. The second story "Fantasies About Rebecca" features Holly Hunter as a wealthy bank manager who doesn't realize that her own life is a sham in dealing with an unplanned pregnancy, a workaholic boyfriend, and an observant street woman who knows more about Rebecca than she herself does. The third, "Someone For Rose" features Kathy Baker as a single mother who debates with herself over starting a romance with a dwarf who moves into the house across her street. The fourth, "Goodnight Lilly, Goodnight Christine" features Calista Flockhart as Christine, a tarot reader who struggles with increasing grief and depression while taking care of her lesbian lover Lilly who's dying from cancer. The fifth, "Love Waits for Kathy" features Amy Brenneman as a police detective who examines her loneliness after her blind sister Carol begins dating while Kathy is on a case of investigating the suicide of an old school friend who was just as lonely as she.

Orlando

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors

And if it hasn't already been mentioned, the 60s British horror omnibus film 'Dr. Terror's House of Horrors' must be included. The plotline involves several men who all share a train compartment with a mysterious stranger who goes on to reveal each of their terrifying fates through the Tarot--these include a voodoo curse, vampires, a disembodied murderous hand and even killer plants! Obviously, nothing here is remotely authentic in terms of the Tarot. Just silliness to be enjoyed with a big bowl of popcorn!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0059125/

TheMuseSway

Tarot or Cards from movie The Cell?

Hi I posted this in another thread sorry about that Moderators. Anyways does anyone know the name or anything about the Tarot Cards or Just cards can't be too sure. (I'm sure it's Tarot though) in the movie.

"The Cell"

Are they just for the Movie or are they actually a real deck. I can't find them I searched the Christian Decks here, Serach engines even IMDB. Which found other facts but nothing about the deck if anyone does I'd be much obliged.
Thank You.