Study Group: The Fairytale Tarot

ArwenNightstar

I think that this deck has tons of possibilities for a lively, involved study group. Who would like to join me in wandering down the path of ancient tales as they relate to Tarot?

My thought is that we could begin with the Majors and then move through the Minors. I would like to maintain an index of the study group's findings so that others could come behind us to join in as well and find our threads more easily.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

baba-prague

Well, I'd love to see it happen as I feel the deck has a lot to offer and will repay some further study. I've been working at putting more links to stories up on the site, and also I'm doing a bit of a redesign to make it easier to see the cards.

If a group does get going I'll be happy to join in - there's so much in these old fairytales, and I've found the deck quite startling to read with recently.

ArwenNightstar

baba-prague said:
Well, I'd love to see it happen as I feel the deck has a lot to offer and will repay some further study. I've been working at putting more links to stories up on the site, and also I'm doing a bit of a redesign to make it easier to see the cards.

If a group does get going I'll be happy to join in - there's so much in these old fairytales, and I've found the deck quite startling to read with recently.

I did a public reading with them on Saturday. The woman I read for turned out to be a reader herself. The cards were accurate and she said it helped her to have the tales on the card since she knew so many of them! It's a great deck, K.

baba-prague

I've been using it as a single-card draw in addition to a spread (with another deck) just to see what would happen. It's been a bit of a revelation. I think I think this is going to become standard for me in readings - it's worked so well because it underpins the reading with an entire story. I'm glad it's performing for you too - nice to hear :)

Owl Song

I've been working with this deck lately and thought I'd see if I can generate some more interest in the study group.

Here's a link to the Magical Realist Press page on the Fairytale Tarot. The "Stories" link at the top of the page will be helpful in reading the original fairy tales used for the deck. Karen Mahony does a superlative job re-telling the stories in the accompanying book. I have been reading the book from cover-to-cover, something I've never done with a Tarot book before.

Link: http://fairytaletarot.com/home.htm

Saffron

I've just ordered a set, so finding this thread is a real boon. I shall report back once they've arrived :)

baba-prague

I'll also be able to take more part once we get going. Right now is a bit of a frantic time for me - new book going to print - but I'd love to do more work on the Fairytale once things have calmed down.

ArwenNightstar

I've just started a new job and am seeking a new living situation so things are in an uproar around here. Maybe we can aim for a start date of 9/1?

baba-prague

ArwenNightstar said:
I've just started a new job and am seeking a new living situation so things are in an uproar around here. Maybe we can aim for a start date of 9/1?

That would be ideal for me - things should be less frenetic then. I hope your work and living situation turn out well. I couldn't resist pulling just one card for you though - well, it actually slipped itself out - Queen of Pentacles. I smiled when I saw this. Sounds like your home life will work out well. Remember that this (Spndle, Shuttle, Needle) is the story of a very practical and down-to-earth girl - but she isn't above using a bit of magic when she needs to.

ArwenNightstar

baba-prague said:
That would be ideal for me - things should be less frenetic then. I hope your work and living situation turn out well. I couldn't resist pulling just one card for you though - well, it actually slipped itself out - Queen of Pentacles. I smiled when I saw this. Sounds like your home life will work out well. Remember that this (Spndle, Shuttle, Needle) is the story of a very practical and down-to-earth girl - but she isn't above using a bit of magic when she needs to.

Thank you! I put a deposit down today but have reservations. The magic is the key so this was VERY needed just now. Thanks, K!!!!!!