Harmonious Sixes

Grip Dellabonte

It's been so long since we did this....I'm all fuzzy-headed. Hope it doesn't take long to get back in the rhythm.

So...the sixes...let's start with the

Six of Wands: In this card we have two young men on horses each holding in their right hands bearded irises as if the flowers were standards and the men were the bearers. There are four other irises in the picture but one in the back looks like it has taken a beating, and is actually no longer living.
The men are wearing marigold buds upside down as hats. They have similar clothing, but their dress is not really "uniform" per se.
The horses have parts of plants that have been draped on them, and placed on their faces so it looks like armor. There are six wands above the men.
The horses walk perfectly in step, and the men also have exact seating on their horses.
I get the feeling that they are messengers. They are signaling the arrival of somebody else who's coming.
By their carriage, I would say they are proud to be in front paving the way.
The dead iris is intriguing. They are not coming back without a loss.
This is the victory card in most decks. Often there is a person on a noble steed being cheered on by crowds of onlookers. Sometimes that person has a laurel wreath he's waving around. I think the reason that the messengers are in the frame and not the victor is because the artist just chose to change the focus. Instead of showing the victor as having arrived, the card is heralding that he is on the way. It's just a different way of looking at the card with the message being the same. Whether the victor is the focal point, or his representatives, success was achieved.
So with the Harmonious, when this card shows up I would say it is signaling that the querent has good news coming their way, concerning a victorious outcome of some sort.

Six of Cups

Just as an aside, I want what this lady is wearing. But in a way more dramatic color, like peacock, or grenadine....and the little girl is kinda cute!
Changing art styles again. I don't know what it is, maybe after the turn of the century (maybe nouveau? ish?), but no flower people.
In this card there is a mother (looks like) with her young child who is probably around three. They are out in a garden picking roses. There is other vegetation around them like pine trees and lilies.
The child is looking up at the mother as if listening closely to what the mother is telling her.
It is a pretty straightforward scene of a sweet, unguarded familial moment. Many times the Six of Cups shows a person who is older in the process of "showing" or "guiding" or "reading" to a younger person. So there is generally an imparting of knowledge.
By the side of the cultured garden's borders there sits an hourglass. It is a jolt when it is first noticed. It is a reminder that these moments are fleeting. Capture them whilst you can.
Also, the hourglass is behind the people. This could mean that a person is focusing on the past, that they could expect to hear from someone in their past, that there is an event from their past that they can learn from and benefit from now...
At any rate, it is a gentle card, generally evoking warm feelings.
I forgot to mention that there are three cups over the gardeners' heads, and three beside them on the ground. The cups are empty. But the lady's basket is holding what she and the child have picked together...

Six of Swords

I wish I woulda been as clever as this woman when my kids were younger! Things might have been really different. ;)
Actually I think the figures are Psyche and Cupid again (I think they were the figures in the Three of Swords as well....).
Here we have a winged cherub driving a leaf chariot - I say "chariot" because it looks like the leaf has yellow flower clusters for wheels, and she's standing. So it's not a palanquin, or something like that, where she would most likely be sitting and there would be no wheels.
He has white reins that look like spider web strands! I've been awake many hours - my eyes could be strained, but they're at least something white. The strands lead to two pink flower clusters that are really two flocks of birds!
The chariot is crossing over a crooked little river. The water is moving, but it doesn't look like a very dangerous body of water.
The landscape is dry. Even the sky looks dull and dry.
On the shore under the flower birds there is a blooming Lily-of-the-Valley. In the air above the cherub's whip is a flower cluster...just floating in midair. There is another one floating by the woman's left shoulder.
The woman has a vine of the pink clustered flowers draped around her shoulders, with the flower bunch drooping down by her left side.
Above that are four swords in a vertical position with points alternating either up or down. Over the woman's head are two swords positioned horizontally with their points going in opposite directions, and both laying on top of one of the other four swords.
Just like a more traditional Six of Swords card, this does show travel over a body of water. The water is not turbulent.
The woman does not seem altogether happy, and the cherub seems more focused than anything else. So my sense is that this was a move based on some reasoning. They are not slipping away in the dead of night. And it was a necessary move, not really a happy one.
Yet, even though it's a move based on some rational thought, I think the woman half wonders if she's done the right thing. She is holding on to the vine like it's a limber handrail. But it's not offering her much support.
Those two floating flowers strike me as a couple of life's little distractions that crop up just when you've become determined to do something. But they are ineffectual. The main figures have their minds on other things.
If this card came up in a reading it could be addressing all sorts of things: the woman not concentrating on where she's going but where she's been, the cherub being so single-minded, watch out for distractions, trip by water...those are just a few...

Six of Pentacles

This is a picture depicting two women - probably mother and grown daughter. Both are dressed in rather opulent looking gowns. The colors of the fabrics are golds, pinks, oranges, and white...very rich and warm colors. That may be what the card is trying to convey...richness and warmth.
The more known meanings of this card are basically prosperity, "getting and giving away" (philanthropy), giving something but holding back a little (only giving what won't be missed)...these are just a few. It's pretty clear these women have "gotten"....but there is no real sign of the "giving" of anything. They both are sort of standing around looking pensive. I think this card only focuses on the prosperity message. I think you might be able to make the case that both of these women may give, but not more than they had to. They aren't screaming with generosity and charity to me. So I think that aspect of the card is missing.
There are six coins above their heads that are half-smiling. There is a flower that grows by the mother's feet. Other than that, there is no other soul around.
If this card came up in a reading, I think you would have to use your prior knowledge of the Six of Pentacles to interpret its placement.
Course, I've had mental blocks on many of these cards. Maybe its message is clear and I'm just not seeing it!

Attachments

• Six of Wands.jpg
    Six of Wands.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 181
  • Six of Cups.jpg
    Six of Cups.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Six of Swords.jpg
    Six of Swords.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Six of Pentacles.jpg
    Six of Pentacles.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 169

madhavendra

Thank you Grip for the 6 of Wands explanation- I mean the stuff about two persons being messengers rather then the victory man themselves. And also one dead flower telling us that there is no victory without lose. Good one:))

6 of Pentacles- two wealthy and beautiful ladies, looking at something (someone?) with compassion and even sadness. Maybe this is similar situation as in 6 of Wands, where we also don't see the main character, but just his messengers? Similarly here artist shows traditional meaning from the other angle of vision- leaving poor recipients of mercy little bit outside of frame and focusing on expression of two ladies. It reminds me old movies, showing 19 century, where wealthy girls from noble families were going to the church and it was custom to give charity on the way. 6 of Pentacles shows them, when they are filled with compassion, just about to give some of their richness away.
Any way, it works for me very well...

So far I am feeling more and more attached to this deck, finding its symbolic very complex and deep. I am only afraid to get to the Chariot card which kills me. I just can not see its message!! It's too soft.

I am surprised that such beautiful deck has so few admires and students. Harmonious fans- common, say something:)
This deck is really worth of buying and I swear it's not just a pretty Tarot for ladies! lol

Keavy McGee

Seis de Espadas, etc.

AT Harmonious Study Group
Sixes
Saturday, May 30, 2009

Lordy!! It is an overcast day, just right for laying on hands...on cards, that is :D. I have missed my Harmonious deck and today feels a good day to get them out and explore again. The lighting and temperature are just perfect for this gentle little deck and I can smell the smoke from wood fires up and down our street. It's a very nature-y day for me, which is probably why I picked up this deck again.

Also, I've been adding to my "collection," and this feels like a dear old friend whom I can call up with my bunny slippers on and a cup of hot tea, chat and get all grounded again after several nights out on the town with these new people I've met :laugh:

In the past of this Study Group, we each posted our initial impressions of each card and then discussed and compared/contrasted at the end, so that's how I'm gonna proceed. As we did before, I won't read what anyone has posted ahead of me until I've completed my examinations and explorations of each card and have written up my impressions. THEN I will go back and see what I missed !! :laugh:

6 SWORDS/ESPADAS/SPADES/EPEES/SCHWERTER/ZWAARDEN

Doncha just :love: all those languages on Lo Scarabeo cards? :D

Ah, boy, this card looks familiar. I can't believe I never posted about it. A large leafy plant hovers above a moving stream of water. There is low vegetation on both sides of the stream. The leafy plant has enormous blossoms that actually appear to be pink birds grouped together. A winged cherub rides on one of the flower's stems, and holds what appear to be gossamer "reins," directing the - well, they look like little pink turkeys to me!! :D

Ah, now I see, the leafy bit is actually the body of the chariot, the cherub is the driver and the flowers/turkeys are drawing the leafy vehicle across the stream so the lovely miss standing up in the leaf doesn't have to get her feet or gown wet. Tendrils of the plant, including a turkey/flower bud, entwine around her shoulders. She looks to the future but the cherub drives her toward the past. Her face looks almost wistful. There are two stars in the sky and four swords depicted above m'lady's head, against the sky.

The harmonious Sixes traditionally follow the somewhat challenging Fives, and offer a form of resolution and balance. In this card, the person in charge of the conveyance is pulling the main figure to the past, yet she looks wistfully towards the future. Her body language suggests grudging acquiescence and resignation, "Alright, I'll eat my peas, if I HAVE to."

In a reading, depending on what other cards are present, this might suggest that the Querent has some outdated ideas, thoughts, and perspectives to review and possibly overcome.

In the more traditionally imaged RWS deck this card typically has to do with making changes or taking a journey to escape the past. Or, of course, just what it depicts, taking a trip by water :laugh:

But reading this card intuitively, I would probably be more inclined to suggest that there is something in the past that needs to be revisited, rather than escaped from, and the Inner Self, represented by the cherub, knows this and is driving the Querent that direction.

One way of looking at the minors is to imagine that all minor arcana Sixes are tied to the Trump VI The Lovers which is about Love, of course, but also about choices and choosing. It is also about recognizing what we need and what we want, no matter who or what we love, but certainly informed by those two things.

One thing I noticed right off the bat is how emotional this card feels. But it's a Sword, it should feel all thoughtful and considerate. But it doesn't. It shows the head and the heart, and that I think is back to this feeling from the Sixes, of balance and harmony. The head and heart have been out of harmony and the way to restore balance is to revisit the past, with the implication that the Querent will emerge from that encounter with a freshened perspective.

So I would say that there is something she has to revisit to achieve clarity in her own mind. she doesn't exactly want to do it, but it is necessary to restore mental balance, i.e., her mental sanity if you will. And this "issue" has significant emotional weight; it is not just taking place in her mind.

However, her floating above the stream suggests that with a strength of mind, she can rise above the emotional component, i.e., not get her feet wet. The hope in this card is suggested by the fact that she is facing the future and ready to go that direction, it is just this one little matter that needs to be cleared up.

And what of the flower/turkeys? They are creatures of air, and thus reinforce the suit of Swords and the mental component of the card. They "fly" her where she needs to go, and again, because of their wings, can keep her out of the water. And sometimes, our old ideas about things can be viewed as real "turkeys" :D

That's it for now. On to the Cups/Chalices.

XOX

Keavy:heart:

Keavy McGee

6 Copas

I hope you don't mind if I do the suits separately this time around; it seems to work better with my computer :)

6 Chalices/Copas/Coppe/Coupes/Kelche/Bekers

A mother and child pick flowers in a garden.

In a fashion departure from the first five cards of this suit, the mother and daughter on this card are NOT dressed in neo-classical/classical togas but something long and straight, with elaborate detailing ~ perhaps Georgian or Victorian. There are sleeves, for instance, instead of bare arms and the mother's long auburn hair is covered with a little cap.

This appears to be a peaceful little garden in late spring, with a large white cloud looming in the background. Large evergreens line the perimeter of the garden, beyond which may be ocean or grasses, we cannot be certain. But everything beyond this up-close vignette pales to insignificance, giving the card a very much in-the-moment, in this place and time kind of feel to it.
In the next moment, everything could change, but right now, the mother is enjoying picking flowers with her daughter and all is peaceful and serene.

As I look at this card today and think of it in context with The Lovers, I consider the kind of love a mother has for her child. It is an (almost) perfect love, love for something she had a hand in creating and yet love for something that is very different from her. When she looks at her child, she sees her beauty, her uniqueness, her just rightness. This is very strong in this card. She is bending over, picking the bloom but at the same time, by the rapt look on her child's face, you feel the mother is instructing her, perhaps in how to pick blooms, or is just speaking to her in a gentle, loving way.

This is a lovely and sentimental card, and harkens back to a feeling of innocence we identify with childhood, when we are open and uncomplicated, when love doesn't come with conditions, it just pours out. I should add, in an ideal/idealized world, which I feel this card depicts. It does not depict Mama correcting the child, which may also happen sometimes. As I said before, this is a moment frozen in time, and it is a lovely and loving moment.

For a querent, I might feel that there is a relationship of some importance to them that has real qualities of beauty and trust, and that those qualities are to be cherished. Perhaps they are experiencing a moment in their life when all seems to be right with their world, especially in terms of their emotional life. Perhaps their family is doing well. It is a card that is free of conflict and distress, a little oasis of love. I like this card very much!!

XOX

ETA: Just read Grip's notes and have to admit...I did NOT see that hourglass!! :laugh:

Keavy McGee

6 Bastoni

6 Wands/Bastos/Bastoni/Batons/Stabe/Staven

Here we have what is known as The Victory Card in a more traditional RWS-style deck.

I looked up bearded iris as they make up the horses the two courtiers ride and the flags and banners they carry to announce their arrival or the arrival of someone even more important who may be coming along behind them.

The name Iris is derived from the Greek word for rainbow, and this lovely flower comes in hundreds of colors. It is also the basis for the shape of the French fleur-de-lys, which I did not know!! They are plants of early summer and came back year after year if well cared for. Some symbolism for the iris which has been suggested are: faith, wisdom, cherished friendship, valor, hope and wisdom.

So back to this card. It is, again, a 6, and so we come back around to the concept of balance and harmony after some initial struggles. We see two males riding placidly along. We don't know where they are going but they seem quite unconcerned, looking around and noting their surroundings, and at the moment, not even conversing with each other. Their mounts seem steady and assured.

They are nicely robed, in their flower finery, so it would seem they are not your normal garden variety riders , but perhaps heralds. I have a sense of someone of importance coming behind them, and that they are announcing this eminent one's arrival.

In a reading, I would wonder if the Querent is perhaps in a state of expectation, something they are truly looking forward to, or an arrival of some importance. I might also wonder if the Querent feels they are currently in a very pleasant place on their journey, neither rushing nor lollygagging, but merely moving along at a pleasant pace.

I'd also wonder, based on the other cards in the reading, if this could signify either a pregnancy or the arrival/birth of a child, or of course, a business or other important "opening."

XOX

ETA: And once again, Grip saw something I did not notice...the dead Iris at the back. I really do have to get my eyes checked!! :laugh:

Ronia

Hi guys, I'm glad I found this group! I've been struggling with my Harmonious alone for months. I just got three of the 6s in a reading and noticed some elements for a first time. Any comments will be much appreciated. :)

The 6 of Wands - to me this at the back is not a dead iris, it is the tower rebuilt. And on top of it, like a victorious falg, is waving the heart of the flower - the fertility well, the source of new life and ambrosia. The rebuilt tower is behind those men, so they come back victorious. What had been in ruins is now up and lovely. The 5 is gone, the tough times are over, now is time to celebrate success.

6 of Pentacles - knowing a bit about historical costumes, to me it's clear that the lady behind is a servant. Yes, she is close to her mistress, she is probably a favorite but that's all. Notice the difference in the dresses, the fabrics, the accessories, and even in the expression. The one ahead is the mistress, the nobility with the money. The one behind walks after, gets the older dresses and must be satisfied. So, the giving and receiving, and even the dependance is there. The woman behind is grateful though, she bends her head in gesture of gratitude. The one ahead is proud but apparently treating her maid well.

6 of Cups - I knew about the hour glass but I wondered did you notice what Death has forgotten there, on the ground next to the hour glass - a scythe. It makes me uneasy because I get the feeling Death is watching the mother and the child and waiting for her moment to come... I wish to believe these are behind the woman and the girl though, just like the cloud is passing. Actually both the hour glass and the scythe are from the Death card. On the other hand it seems one rose bush has grown on top of the scythe handle and this way has rooted it and stuck it to the ground - new life, growth, new generation overcoming the end? I'd love to think so.