Perpetual bad news

euripides

Dear Ron,

Unfortunately when I take the question to the next step ("how do I avoid ____" or "how do I fix______") I usually get a negative outcome as well.

I'm not sure how, given that action is in itself neutral. If you get the Tower for 'fixing' something, this would suggest that you need to break radically from your usual approach. If you get the Three of Swords, it might mean you have to face some hard truths - 'bite the bullet' so to speak; and also that you need to look with clarity at your relationships, seek help from those who can support you... and so forth.

Are you referring to a particular book (sorry if I missed that information in the thread... ) or website, or purely reading from the images? And if so what is your knowledge of traditional Tarot symbolism?

As I said before, definitely ditch the reversals.

I also agree that you should get a different deck. Something lighter - I wouldn't go as far as Doreen Virtue - maybe the Housewive's, it's really fun but insightful.

On the whole, I'm thinking you need to take action to break this negative vibe.

Aesoteric

I resonate with the other replies but wanted to add to these two. That is an important question I believe. Have you been going through a particularly difficult time? Maybe the cards reflect your reality right now. ??

However I can understand your wishing to see ways to act to get clear and some hopeful outcomes. During particularly difficult periods in my life, I wound up either with Doreen Virtue's fluffy decks or the I Ching because some days I found the Tarot's strictures too much to bear.I also stopped reading with reversals. While Mary Greer's book, "Tarot Reversals" helped me a lot in reading for others, when reading for myself I leave all of the cards upright. I used to get a shiver when I saw a reversed card, an immediate reaction and I could work through it during the reading, but after a while I decided I didn't need that in my self readings.

Dear Alta,

I would say that most of my life has been this way, so you see it's a bit of a tricky situation. I've always tried to look straight at the truth even when it's unpleasant, but I admit I've gotten tired of seeing these things coming at me. I suppose this is a philosophical question as much as anything else: if you knew that nothing you did would work, would you keep looking?

euripides

Dear Alta,

I would say that most of my life has been this way, so you see it's a bit of a tricky situation. I've always tried to look straight at the truth even when it's unpleasant, but I admit I've gotten tired of seeing these things coming at me. I suppose this is a philosophical question as much as anything else: if you knew that nothing you did would work, would you keep looking?

It hasn't worked so far. What you've been doing hasn't been the right thing. Get help - talk to support services, you GP, a family counsillor - a trusted friend - someone who can see your situation with a fresh perspective. It's tough when you have to fight a system that's designed to keep people in their place. But get help. please.

Aesoteric

I'm not sure how, given that action is in itself neutral. If you get the Tower for 'fixing' something, this would suggest that you need to break radically from your usual approach. If you get the Three of Swords, it might mean you have to face some hard truths - 'bite the bullet' so to speak; and also that you need to look with clarity at your relationships, seek help from those who can support you... and so forth.

Are you referring to a particular book (sorry if I missed that information in the thread... ) or website, or purely reading from the images? And if so what is your knowledge of traditional Tarot symbolism?

As I said before, definitely ditch the reversals.

I also agree that you should get a different deck. Something lighter - I wouldn't go as far as Doreen Virtue - maybe the Housewive's, it's really fun but insightful.

On the whole, I'm thinking you need to take action to break this negative vibe.

Dear Euripides,

I learned primarily from one person and their books, but, with apologies, I don't want to name them on the public forum because I'm not here to badmouth anyone. If you still want the information I'd be happy to give it to you in private. I use the Rider Waite deck because I understand it's the most versatile, but my understanding is that the deck is less important than the teachings behind it. That is to say, one author's understanding of the Three of Swords can be applied to that corresponding card in any deck; hence my teacher's understanding of the Three of Swords would be the same regardless of what deck I use so long as it's based on the same 78-card design. I'm open to trying new decks, certainly, so long as the information it provides is useful and not sugar-coated. I'd love some suggestions.

euripides

Dear Euripides,
hence my teacher's understanding of the Three of Swords would be the same regardless of what deck I use so long as it's based on the same 78-card design. I'm open to trying new decks, certainly, so long as the information it provides is useful and not sugar-coated. I'd love some suggestions.

Your teacher's interpretation may not be the only one. I suggest you read more widely and think for yourself - this current strategy clearly isn't working.

I've suggested the Housewives', but there are a great many decks and it depends on your personal interests - some may suit you better than others.

Ebony

In the past I saw a lot of bad stuff so stopped looking, but now I realize that I was in a way making things go badly because I wasn't doing anything to change what was going to happen. It is true, there were a lot of unpleasant life situations, but if I had looked at them from a different perspective they probably could have gone better.

The tarot doesn't tell you what is going to happen, just the most likely possibility, through the filter of the reader (meaning expectations can block a reader from seeing clearly or interpreting the cards correctly.) Anyways, it is always just a likely possibility, things are not written in stone. I think the problem I had before was that when I used tarot cards or other methods and saw the possible future, and it happened so often, I just began to rely on it. But the truth is if you yourself change your position, your perspective, then your actions change and what will happen will often change.

I wouldn't suggest seeing a reading as a death sentence but as a starting place. Something to keep in mind. Something to use to try to find a way to make the future you want to have. Even if the bad things it suggests may happen do happen some of the time that doesn't mean that the next bad thing is also going to happen. It doesn't mean you have to accept it. Even when those bad things occur, it doesn't mean there isn't some good beyond it either. So don't use tarot or any type of prophecy as a limit, only as a guide and additional consideration. You are always in the driver's seat in your life.

Shade

Dear Shade,

Yes, more often than not.

Ah interesting. I'll be honest I am less in the "the card's only show what MAY happen camp than other folks, I think some things just can't be and the cards are useful for looking at that.

But since approaching the cards may feel draining how about switching to a more oracle style deck and pulling one a day. These tend to give a message of empowerment that can help focus intention towards positivity for the day ahead.

DDwarks

My 2 cents?
Theres a very good sub forum here. called "Your readings".

Next time you pull some cards (or evn some cards already pulled if you jounal) , post it in Your Reading with your interpretation so that the rest of us can tell you what we see.

You'll amazed how different someone elses take on it is! Really eye opening ;)

Reading for yourself is a minefield and is best avoided IMO xx

Tanga

Some "Happy" or more "upbeat" decks (IMO) - all RWS inspired:

Housewives Tarot (as suggested):
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/housewives/
Halloween Tarot (this one makes me laugh every time):
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/halloween/
Gendron Tarot:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gendron/
Sun and Moon Tarot:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sun-moon/
Silhouettes Tarot:
http://www.masaseptember.com/store.html
Monstarot:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/monstarot/

:heart:

And this:
It hasn't worked so far. What you've been doing hasn't been the right thing. Get help - talk to support services, you GP, a family counsillor - a trusted friend - someone who can see your situation with a fresh perspective. It's tough when you have to fight a system that's designed to keep people in their place. But get help. please.

headincloud

There's no reason to quit due to negative readings, at the end of the day the cards are reflecting you, we don't reflect the cards we direct them so you could stop reading but to what end?

A common mistake us novice readers make is to conclude negative outcomes due to reversed cards showing up whilst failing to take the panoramic spread into consideration, I suspect it's your reading skills or negative frame of mind.

Post some readings for help to get others perspectives.