"Dark" decks

HudsonGray

Nobody mentioned the Terrestrial Tarot yet. Though technically it's more an oracle since they renamed the cards. A very 'heavy' deck.

Little Baron

New Orleans Voodoo.

I put off buying this one for ages because it gave me the willies.

I have it now though.

And it still gives me the willies.

One member actually put it in a box and hasn't opened it for thirteen years or so.

LB

Aulruna

How about the Vertigo?
I find it reads extremely well.

Neither Crow's nor the Gothic Vampire are any good for me on readings, but I agree that Vargo's Gothic is a gem.

Morwenna

WooMonkey

I agree with Morwenna! The Vertigo is an excellent dark deck--striking, disturbing art, plus a great companion book by Rachel Pollack.

Sophie

The New Orleans Voodoo is not dark at all - it's rather playful at times! It can be dark, when it needs to be. In fact, it's very versatile, and very spiritual.

I like the Vertigo too :)

Little Baron

Helvetica said:
The New Orleans Voodoo is not dark at all

Hi Helvetica

It's just me, I think. There is something in the eyes and the faces that make me feel it is one of the darker ones in my collection. I understand what you mean about it's balance and playfulness. I suppose that I am just used to decks that are a little lighter, generally. But it is the only tarot deck to this day that has not made me feel 100% comfortable.

LB

Little Baron

Helvetica said:
I like the Vertigo too :)

Me too. But I have never been fortunate enough to get my hands on a copy. I very much liked it when I started out in tarot, but as years go on, it has become less of an interest for me. However, I would still like to see how it reads. Maybe one day. I always had this little fantasy that I would find a copy in an out of town comic shop somewhere - stashed under some magazines and covered in dust.

LB

Tara2007

I like the Crow's Magick, Rainbow....the King of Swords looks totally formidable!!

Umbrae

I've never been able to read with the Vertigo, although I like it.

The New Orleans Voodoo is nice, but I've always felt something was missing...like...nice art - but nothing really well....

However...as a Santeria deck, Tarot Lukumi does a fine job (Great Scapini Art!!!) ...but like the Voodoo...

I think the key with those two is, I don't practice Vodoun, nor Santeria/Lukumi. It would be like me using an overtly Roman Catholic deck - it's not part of my belief set, so I don't go there.

Whereas the Vargo (like the Vertigo) is not built around a religious system per se, so remains more open to me.

Of course let's not forget the now OOP Emaciated emasculated Elves with bad attitudes in nice clothes deck…(londa).