A blossom offers itself
    The inner powers become flowing, soft, flexible
    Fresh vibrating energy rises up the spine
    Cautious encounter of opposites
    I and You become one

Return to MP Index

firemaiden

link

The whole deck can be seen at lapalma-galerie and here is the link to a close-up of the Lovers Card: Die Liebenden

Now: I would like to ask you... What do you see in this card?

galadrial

There is so much energy here! The first thing my eyes really settled on, though, are the black and white footprints near the bottom. It makes me think of how when you start sharing a journey, whichever way either one of you steps now, it will impact the other. And also how, the more steps you take together, the more shared memories and the tighter the bond between you.
I also like the snake between them. It seems to be a product of their combined energies; an entity unto itself. If the Lovers ever break apart and become seperate ones again, the pain of seperation will not just be from the loss of the other person, but from the loss of that living, writhing energy that they created when together.

Kaz

the faces with the snake, first thing that catches me eye. and the hands.

firemaiden

Great! It is so fun to have people to share impressions on these cards with!

I am wondering why we only see prints of two feet and two hands. Where is the other person? (on top?)

The snake looks like a person's spine too, doesn't it?

Hedera

Perhaps the two lovers together make up a whole person?

A 'you complete me' sort of thing.

firemaiden

Well...hmmm, that goes along with I and You become one, doesn't it. How does she manage to portray both the union, and the "seeing double" aspects I wonder? By having the foot and handprints be both black and white?

galadrial

firemaiden said:
How does she manage to portray both the union, and the "seeing double" aspects I wonder? By having the foot and handprints be both black and white?

That was the message I got from the foot and handprints being black and white. That it is more like you are one of a pair of hands or feet now; you cannot create, destroy, journey, or be still without affecting the other person, and vice versa.

CompassRose

If one looks at the face, it becomes not one face, but two united to become one; you can see them also in semi-profile, dark and light, turning away from each other.

This is one card that gives big rewards with reversal!

Turn it, and the feet become two figures, bowed towards each other. The white figure carries something in its heart... a curled embryo, perhaps? The tail of the serpent crowns the dark figure.

And below, the dark hand becomes the face of a black bird. The white hand I am also seeing as a bird, but maybe that's suggestion? a white swan? And the face, reversed, is now a dark and light face kissing, fused, joined.

joya250

galadrial said:

I also like the snake between them. It seems to be a product of their combined energies; an entity unto itself. If the Lovers ever break apart and become seperate ones again, the pain of seperation will not just be from the loss of the other person, but from the loss of that living, writhing energy that they created when together.

... I like the way Galadrial put that: "living, writhing energy they created when together."

Well, I'm moving on to the Lovers now... as I just came from Death and Strength. ... Was interested to explore the Lovers after Strength (Lust) and all that sexuality, to see how it was handled here. And now I see it. Or rather don't see it. haha.

Can't say that this is a particular favorite of mine. It is pretty muddled. Not sure what to say about this card, other than nothing really strikes me from it. Even the color seems "ho-hum"... Guess I'm going to have to do a little reflecting on this to see what more I can get. I'll get back to you on it.

Meanwhile, any more thoughts on this card?