"Defacing" Decks

nisaba

Rev_Vesta said:
Hi.... I have had lots of laughs reading through this thread...

I love my tarot decks as they are...........
Yeah, me too. I'm quite unimaginative - I don't even trim. I will admit to one flaw, though: the first ever unillustrated-pips deck I bought (which is one of the favourites I mention every so often, so I won't name the poor dear), when I got that deck, I put a single tiny-handwriting keyword on each pip card except the Aces in a pen-colour that blended nicely with the background. For a year or so I needed them as a springboard into the card, but in that deck the non-illustrative decorations are so busy that you really don't notice the vandalism. I've stopped noticing it's there at all, never mind stopped needing them.

Mojo Twin 2

I really got a kick out of the comments on World Spirit. I'd add The Star - yikes that is the scariest looking Star I've ever seen, including Deviant Moon. I like a lot of the World Spirit deck but the 3 of cups, devil, star, and sun card are deal breakers for me. I just can't get past them.

I've never drawn or marked up a Tarot Deck. If I don't like it I don't use it. I just feel that the original artist had a vision and I respect it. Just my two cents worth!

gregory

Rev_Vesta said:
and thinking I may do that with Scared Geometry...
I am fond of Scared Geometry :laugh:.....

I have indeed done a Thoth - and the geometry is enormous fun. I don't understand it yet - but it looks LOVELY !

nisaba

gregory said:
I am fond of Scared Geometry
OO-ah! Gregory, you're evil! That's the kind of thing I'd say if I was letting my Evil Twin use my body.

Rev_Vesta

gregory said:
I am fond of Scared Geometry :laugh:.....

I have indeed done a Thoth - and the geometry is enormous fun. I don't understand it yet - but it looks LOVELY !

had a little giggle..... lol....... You are so naughty..........not....lol.....

Grizabella

sapienza said:
I have to state here that I really have no issue with blondes. It's just that unless you live in the Nordic countries this deck just isn't representative of the general population. I hope I haven't offended anyone.

It wasn't meant to be representative of the general population. It's a Celtic themed deck, isn't it? Or at least I always thought so. Maybe that's just a figment of my imagination.

Stormdancer

Mojo Twin 2 said:
I've never drawn or marked up a Tarot Deck. If I don't like it I don't use it. I just feel that the original artist had a vision and I respect it. Just my two cents worth!

I agree with what you're saying here, but for me the World Spirit deck is just SO "readable" for me, except for those few cards. I spent many years deciding to "deface" or not on this one. For me, this is one deck I want to keep for ME, and so with a few...ahem...deft strokes of a sharpie...it is now one of MY decks. I keep hesitating on altering the SUN card, since I know the "why" of it...still creeps me out, but I've yet to change it.

Stormdancer

sapienza

Grizabella said:
It wasn't meant to be representative of the general population. It's a Celtic themed deck, isn't it? Or at least I always thought so. Maybe that's just a figment of my imagination.

Maybe a figment of your imagination....I never understood it to be a Celtic themed deck. It's supposed to be a pagan deck.....does that mean it has to be Celtic? Either way, to me it was always just a 'prettied up RWS clone' type of deck. And for ME personally, the barbie style blonde thing just didn't work.

WolfSpirit

Sapienza the borders of the Robin Wood look great in black, that must have cost you a lot of work ! I have trimmed the borders off decks but I have never thought of colouring them. I know about ink sticking to a ruler and making drawings fuzzy - that was a huge frustration for me as a kid !
As for the blondness in the Robin Wood - I never really noticed that until I read about it on AT, but it has never been a main reading deck for me. Due to the whole atmosphere of the deck.
I also did not notice the man in the 10 of pents in the World Spirit was naked until I read about it here and I still don't think it is very noticeable, but then I don't have that deck myself. It's a deck made with woodblocks, isn't it ? I think they just forgot to colour a bit and left it in skin colour. It does not look to me like he is leering at the children, looks more like meditating. I would not want a deck in which a man is leering at children, with or without clothes on.

I am now waiting for someone to post that they have added nudity to a deck to spice it up ;)

Dancing Bear

I love some of the things some of you have done to your decks.

I have only trimmed decks. Not coloured in or written on them.
Trimming them was a major decision taking em weeks to finally decide to do it..
I have trimmed Druidcraft as many have as it is rather a large deck.
I have also trimmed the Voyager , and got rid of both borders and titles.
Best thing i ever did for both of these decks..

I am now debating and seriously thinking about trimming the Ancient Egyptian.

I do love my lenormand with the little verse on them. and have thought about adding extra cards to Oracle decks .. and scrubbing out the annoying keywords to the osho zen.. I just cant read with it without putting my hand over the keywords.. it really throws me. but never really did it.

It takes me a long time to pluck up the courage to even trim my decks.. I think i have to weigh up if i really really like this deck and if it is going to be regularly used as a reading deck.. then it would be worth the adjustments i believe. If not it may be good to leave it alone and trade maybe.. Not that i ever have though LOL!!

Both the Druidcraft and Voyager are regularly used .. Ancient Egyptian may end up in the reading decks pile, I am becoming rather fond of it...and it may just get that trim.. still debating though LOL!

I have found the Druidcraft Hanged man has offended some sitters LOL!! I make light of the poor fellow.. have never thought of covering him up LOL!! only due to lack of imagination though LOL!

Edited to say; One question I wanted to ask, Is ; when you colour in the borders with permanent markers.. when later you shuffle them does the colour come off even when dry onto the other cards.. like wear itself onto them as they are continuosly shuffled..

I am asking this because i may just colour the borders of Ancient egyptian. both back and face of card instead of trimming. I really dont like white borders. but i dont want to make the cards look dirty (if you know what i mean) , if the black ink eventually starts wearing onto the cards..