Newbie question: Visconti Sforza

The Happy Squirrel

My current short list are

Longobardica ed
Dal Negro
Il Meneghello
USG 2nd ed

If I read all the info here correctly those other than il Meneghello have the same card stock quality.

Il Meneghello ed is beautiful and expensive, and I have yet to explore which ed of this publisher I should be looking for if all the others failed

:)

Thanks again, I will update :)

Abrac

The Dal Negro stock is a lot thinner than the others, unless they've changed it recently. The one I had tended to bow and the cards wouldn't lay flat.

I don't know about the Monumenta Longobardica case. I've never actually seen it so I'm no help there.

Abrac

I believe I have to correct something I said before:

"The scan is from the Dal Negro but it uses the exact same images as the US Games 3rd edition."

I must've been remembering wrong. I posted a link to the Dal Negro cards already, here's a link to the US Games 3rd edition. The Devil and Tower are obviously different and the US Games images look a bit better, in the scans at least.

http://www.albideuter.de/html/visconti-sforza.html

The Happy Squirrel

Thanks Abrac. That's Scapini's tower and devil?

I think Sherryl recommended Dal Negro. But I somehow ended up with a Longabardica, for some reason I got the impression that they are of same card stock USG 2nd that everyone likes..... Gasp. Did I get that wrong.....

The Longabardica is from 1974. The USG 2nd ed is from the early 1980s.

So many facts to consider.... Wish I can see them in person side by side I usually know which I prefer just by looking and touching them, but so hard online you can't really see, so have to rely on all these facts and all your thoughts, thanks so so very much.

Abrac

You shouldn't be disappointed with the Longabardica. :)

The Happy Squirrel

My head was about to explode reconciling all these new facts I just learned in a few days :)
For some reason the Longobardica called to me (as such). My instinct is usually spot on so let's hope there is a good reason for my 'back of mind' to pick stuff up from all of your comments and decided for me that this edition might be the one I am looking for :)

Will update when it gets here from the UK :)

Sherryl

For some reason the Longobardica called to me (as such). My instinct is usually spot on so let's hope there is a good reason for my 'back of mind' to pick stuff up from all of your comments and decided for me that this edition might be the one I am looking for :)

Will update when it gets here from the UK :)

Yikes! There's a big hole in my V-S collection. I'll be very interested in your impressions of the deck and a description of the Tower and Devil. I have the US Games 2nd edition, so I don't want to get the Longobardica if it's identical.

The Happy Squirrel

Will do Sherryl!

:D

I am nervous about it....

I am conflicted between card stock quality and the visual styles of the replacement cards. Scapini is one of my favourite tarot artists, but I thought his replacements in this deck felt out of place. If they were to be out of place I prefer for them to be the plain uncoloured line drawing set. This way I know for sure each time that I was dealing with a card that may not exist in the original set (a real possibility). But I could not find that deck.

The Dal Negro replacement cards of Devil and Tower is my favourite, and from what I can see in our discussion here, they are the same as USG 2nd ed, and should be the same in the Longobardica ed.

I keep thinking about Il Meneghello's, but the price is stopping me for now. Maybe one day.

No idea what I am getting in the mail, but I have faith :p

The Happy Squirrel

I think US Games must've made some kind of a deal with Longobardica so they could publish their version of the VS in the US (I'm talking about US Games' 2nd edition). The replacements are the same, and both versions use the same Italian printer. The Longobardica case sounds like it might be a little nicer but I believe the cards are virtually identical.

So I am betting on this :)

Abrac

Monumenta Longobardica: Published 1974 or 1975, depending on the source, and printed by Grafica Gutenberg.

US Games 1st: 1975 and printed by Grafica Gutenberg, per Kaplan Vol. 2.
US Games 2nd: 1975 and printed by Grafica Gutenberg.

All these editions were published virtually the same time time and by the same printer. I'd be very surprised if the Longobardica cards differ significantly from US Games', save for the replacements in US Games' 1st. :)