Le Diable - Contrasting the Dodal and Conver

arachnophobia

Minervasaltar said:
* I think the devil may be wearing a kind-off catsuit, leaving only the arms and the head uncovered. The breasts and penis are part of the suit, thereby masking the sexual identity of the devil while at the same time appointing to the fact that the devil is all about sexuality.
I disagree that the "devil is all about sexuality". It certainly, in these images, has sexual aspects, and bizarrely ambiguous sexual imagery. If you assume, as I do, that the Devil has more to do with ADDICTION, as I find implied by the imagery of bondage, sexuality may or may not represent part of that addiction. It also clearly implies that addiction crosses all boundaries of sex and sexuality, as a phenomenon; in fact, as a human phenomenon, I would say that everyone has at least one addiction, or Devil, some of us (lucky or unlucky?!) several.

With all the imagery of "eyes", all over the body, in odd places, the Devil card also implies a unique form of KNOWLEDGE. Curiously, the central figure seems unfettered, and curiously free, in its defiance of taboos and boundaries, while the "minions", a token representative of each sex, remain bound (connection here to the card of the Lovers, with its traditional Adam and Eve associations? Come to think of it, numerologically, 15 = 1+5 = 6!). I think back here to Genesis, and the promise of the serpent that, "You shall become like gods, KNOWING good and evil." Interestingly, the Devil in Christian and Muslim mythology, gets called the "Peacock Angel", i.e. like Hera's peacock in Greek mythology, "full of eyes", i.e. full of insight, or possibilities of knowledge and insight. You don't need to find yourself a genius to figure out the Buddha's first Noble Truth, imho ("all existence more or less sucks"). But, as you gain more bitter-sweet experience in this sucky existence of uncontrolled energy (another keyword of the Devil, imho), you also come to realise, however dimly, that at the root of all suffering lies grasping/craving/desire/ADDICTION, i.e. wanting to hold on to things, and not let go, despite their impermanence.

Sex and sexuality come into all of this, of course, but it tells far from the whole story!

arachnophobia

prudence said:
I am not as sure as you, Major Tom, that the Devil's penis would work that well. It looks to be quite obviously flaccid, where it is actually shown. This also seems to diminish any menacing quality that the image should have, if it is meant to show a menacing Devil image....what could be more menacing on a Devil than an angry erection?

Also, Major Tom, did you depict the tongue sticking out or is that a very full lower lip? (my eyes are not what they used to be, and I cannot quite make it out from the scan) It must give quite a lot of insight into a card's imagery when you have made one of your own.

Are we meant to see the Devil (from the Marseilles decks) as a scary character or as a silly one?

The imagery of sexual impotence, or possibly a strap-on dildo, also fits with the underlying dynamic of desire/addiction, imho, i.e. wanting, always wanting more, but not necessarily able to satisfy one's cravings.

Should we see the Devil as a scary character, or a silly one? Very good question, imho; along with the Fool, s/he represents universal humanity in its fallen, or, as William Blake would put it, "experienced" condition - the Fool more its questing or risk-taking aspect (the Devil also takes risks in the interests of satisfying its addictive desires and cravings, but in a different way, and probably a less adventurous or carefree way than the Fool!).

arachnophobia

le pendu said:
The stomach has an eye on it as well.. so maybe this cardmaker is just a bit "eye-crazy"?

Perhaps the most astonishing thing about this image is the second face on the top of the card. What he heck is that????

Hmm, very interesting, indeed, le pendu, and here I see a connection with the Voodoo Tarot of New Orleans, although not its Major Arcanum of the Devil! Rather, as shown in various other cards, major and minor, the central Voodoo concept of POSSESSION, i.e. finding oneself possessed by an indwelling spirit, not permanently, but in a kind of state of trance, i.e. having a spirit "ride" and "mount", one, as a horse! In the case of the Devil card, it could either mean:

(1) the traditional Christian idea of demonic possession (do we have an exorcist in the house?); or, and I think more likely:

(2) the Devil, or cravenly addicted human figure him/herself, "possessed", albeit temporarily, by an overarching Higher Self (the Voodoo tradition would call this one's "met tet", or "master of the head", as in Arcanum V!), presumably giving insight into his/her condition, if not necessarily the willpower to overcome it (although the impulse towards this may also come in here, and this Devil-addict may find him/herself going off to rehab./detox.!)

jmd

I did not have the time before to add some more likely possible connections between early depictions of Garuda (this time by himself) and the Devil - a connection that appears to be increasingly likely at the very least in the mindset of early travellers.

Here are three from Wikipedia, from three different regions, ranging from (in order) Mongolia, Cambodia and Bali (Indonesia):
XV_Mongolia.jpg
XV_Cambodia.jpg
XV_Bali.jpg

le pendu

Another couple of images to add.

This is from the Pitt-Rivers museum at Oxford, a wonderful museum full of curios. It's very dark inside, so I did the best I could with my little camera.

prdevil_02.jpg

prdevil_01.jpg

What I find most interesting is the hat, which very much reminds me of the TdM, the breasts, clawed feet, and face on the belly.

dodal_XV.jpg

Thankfully, there is a database online which I was able to search to get information.. unfortunately, it's quite confusing to understand where even the museum thinks it is from. Here's the info from the database... is it African? Indian?:

Duncan Catalogue entry - Antiquities 502 An African idol. In page 46 of Herbert's Travels is a print representing this idol on an altar with fruit before him, at a little distance an Indian merchant or banyan pointing at him (Dr Rawlinson, St John's Coll.

List of Anthropological objects transferred from the Ashmolean to the Pitt Rivers' museum 1886. Asiatic, African, Esquimaux and American. [Vellum volumes] Volume I: 212. A wooden figure of an Indian idol or devil, on a stand having a hollow dome-shaped back. A very correct representation of this figure appears in page 37 of the "Travels of Sir Thomas Herbert", London, 1634. It is at the head of "a description of the Bannyans of Indya". The plate exhibits "An Indyan Merchant or Bannyan". who is pointing to the figure, before which is a dish of fruit, and above it, on the framework, is a small vessel containing fire. No direct allusion is made to the figure, or the merchant, but in reference to the inhabitants it is stated, that "they worship the Devill in sundry shapes and representations." The figure has a conical shaped hat from which, and the back of the head there have been sixteen spikes [Insert] inclined [end insert] outwards and more or less upwards, about half of them are left, and some of those in a broken condition. In the plate the figure is represented with four horns, which spring from beneath the cap, two on each side the front of the head; these are large and twisted like ropes, the two lower ones incline downward and outward, the two upper turn upward and outward: the figure has but one of these horns remaining and that imperfect. The face is very ugly but still human, except that the beard forms seven distinct rays. The arms and body are those of a woman, with large pendant breasts; the thighs, legs and feet appear to be intended to represent those of an Eagle. Over the region of the pelvis the figure holds the head of an animal, having two large ox-like horns, and large open mouth. One of the horns and the lip of the other have been lost. The whole is coloured black, except the eyes lips and beard of the figure, the eyes and mouth of the head below, and the hollow back of the stand, all of which are red. It appears to have had a tail which is also gone. Height of figure 15 8/10 inches; on stand 20 inches. Given by Dr Rawlinson, St: John's College, 1719 (Printed catalogue, 1836. p. 147 No. 502)
Additional entry in Vellum volume I - 212 Printed number agreeing with printed catalogue of 1836
Additional entry in Vellum volume I - Trans to Anthrop Mus March 11th 1886 (212)
Stuck in vellum volume [before page 4 of volume I] - Trans. from Ashmolean to Anthrop. Museum March 11th 1886 Section 9 Received the above [listed] HN Moseley March 12 1886

Ashmolean Accession book entry - Objects transferred from the Ashmolean Museum to the Pitt Rivers Museum in 1886 or later: 212. ?India. Black red-touched bird-legged bearded female-breasted figure with rayed conical hat, horns, and lion head in pelvis. Figured in Travels of Sir Thomas Herbert in 1634, page 37, with an Indian merchant. Dr Rawlinson, St John's College, 1719
Added Accession Book Entry - [typed piece of paper stuck onto opposite page of accession book] 'A.M. 212. A very correct representation of this figure appears in page 37 of the Travels of Sir Thomas Herbert, London, 1634. It is at the head of "a description of the Bannyans of Indya". The plate exhibits "An Indyan Merchant or Bannyan" who is pointing to the figure, before which is a dish of fruit and above it on the frame work is a small vessel containing fire. No direct allusion is made to the figure or the plate, but in reference to the inhabitants it is stated that "they worship the Devill in sundry shapes and representations". Presented by the Rev. Dr. Rawlinson, St John's Coll' [Added entry in pencil 268 (retrospective number)]

RDF - Notes and drawings in pencil of similar figures, some written on Radcliffe Library paper. These were found under the figure in the display case by Linda Mowat in February 1992 [AP 21/6/99]

jmd

Very interesting representation, le pendu!

I wonder if part of the assumed origins is incorrect.

There is a quality about it that gives a Lilith-like representation, and the overall image appears to my (untrained) eyes to possibly be more Iranian, Iraqi or even Persian - but really, it is more the Lilith-like quality that is apparent to my (brief) reflections.

le pendu

I'd like to know what's going on with the hat. Isn't that odd?

The hat on the TdM Devil is something that's always struck me as very odd. Also, the way the horns curl down out of the hat seem very TdM like to me.

kwaw

Interesting that we have a composite figure of a Man (male and female) with, according to the description, the head and feet of an eagle, the horns of an ox, and a lions head over the loins - Man, Eagle, Lion, Ox.

Kwaw

firemaiden

Has anyone ever considered that the source for the Marseille devil with his tummy face and knee faces, etc, could be found in the famous sixteen century illustration by John White of a Pictish man - member of the "savage" Celtic tribe of the Picts in Great Britain ?

The watercolours of John White, colonist and artist (1540-1593), were later copied into engraving by Theodor Bry (1528-1598) and published in "A Briefe and True Report of the New Found Land of Virginia " by Thomas Hariot (1560-1621) -- which can be read in it's online edition here :electronic edition.

The point of including the Picts in a document observing the way of life of a native tribe in "Virginia", was to point out that Europeans too, had had their "savages".

tumblr_lz3wkelrvD1qdelixo1_500.jpg

Attachments

• pictish man.jpeg
    pictish man.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 166