Bicycle/Ellusionist & other dark playing card decks

strings of life

Le Fanu said:
(I assume you know the LoS Goethe Playing Cards??)
I'm infatuated with this deck. This is a new one for me as well--like all of these are. It was my best $9 card purchase in quite sometime (including shipping). This is me in a deck, really.

Le Fanu

aurarcana said:
I'm infatuated with this deck. This is a new one for me as well--like all of these are. It was my best $9 card purchase in quite sometime (including shipping). This is me in a deck, really.
What's insane is that I discovered this week that the characters in LoS' Goethe Playing Cards are actually characters from Schiller!

Why on earth wasn't it called Schiller's deck? (it has characters from his "Joan of Arc"!)

Bernice

Le Fanu said:
What's insane is that I discovered this week that the characters in LoS' Goethe Playing Cards are actually characters from Schiller!

Why on earth wasn't it called Schiller's deck? (it has characters from his "Joan of Arc"!)
I wondered why Joan of Arc was in it! Thanks Le Fanu. Now to look up Schiller.......

Bee :)

Le Fanu

Thank you for that link, paul.. great videos which really give a sense of the different cards. Just what I had been looking for!

Rhinemaiden

I rec'd Tragic Royalty this week... still need a black light to see the "glow" effect, but the deck itself is great fun. Especially the Ace of Spades... with a spider motif... this one is worth a look. :) Nice cardstock, shuffles like a dream, feels good in my hands.

paulrosk

You must have the new batch of Tragic Royalty cards. I have a few of the older decks which had a terrible finish! Couldn't fan them, the cards stuck together, just a real disaster! USPCC said they were going to change the card stock and finish, I guess they did! And under a Black Light they DO look REALLY COOL!

Rhinemaiden

paulrosk said:
You must have the new batch of Tragic Royalty cards. I have a few of the older decks which had a terrible finish! Couldn't fan them, the cards stuck together, just a real disaster! USPCC said they were going to change the card stock and finish, I guess they did! And under a Black Light they DO look REALLY COOL!

On the side of the Tragic Royalty box, it reads: "Air Cushion Finish"

on the other side: manufactured in USA for International Playing Card Company, Limited... Canada

Box info is in English and French...

I DO :heart: this deck! :)

paulrosk

That's the difference, my decks say "Air Cushion Finish" "Made In U.S.A" ,but the other side says The U.S. Playing Card Company, Cincinnati, Ohio. Air Cushion is only the "finish" I prefer the UV500 finish myself. It's the actual card stock that really matters. So you must have a newer lot of manufactured cards. Let me ask you a dumb question, when you opened the deck, did the cards "smell" funny?

Rhinemaiden

paulrosk said:
That's the difference, my decks say "Air Cushion Finish" "Made In U.S.A" ,but the other side says The U.S. Playing Card Company, Cincinnati, Ohio. Air Cushion is only the "finish" I prefer the UV500 finish myself. It's the actual card stock that really matters. So you must have a newer lot of manufactured cards. Let me ask you a dumb question, when you opened the deck, did the cards "smell" funny?

until you mentioned it, I didn't notice anything, but I stuck my nose in the box and there is a "scent"... very faint, not objectionable, hard to describe or compare to anything... now you've got me sniffing all my recently acquired card decks... and each one has a different smell... faint, not objectionable or lingering... does that help? ;)