Has anyone with Spanish cards done this...

MareSaturni

Skydancer said:
In the meantime, do you have a PayPal account? I could PM you, but thought others here might be wondering the same. What is the currancy exchange these days??

Yep, i have a Paypal account ;)
I looked in newspaper today, US$ 1 = R$ 2.11
R$ = Brazilian Reals

Skydancer said:
So - roughly how much for one deck with shipping to US and how much for 2 decks?

Here is the info:
Each deck is about R$8 - around 3.50-4.00 american dollars. Totally affordable.
The shipping is the problem - sending packages from Brazil is expensive, at least for my student pocket. It's never less than R$30 (the cheaper way that takes about 15 day to arrive at the country). The final price depends on where you live.

I must also say that i have tried to find the deck they show in Serena Powers but, although i know it exists (i've seen it here), i did not find last time i looked for. I know a shop where they usually have this deck, but they had run out of it =/
It's all the same thing, actually, the difference is in the drawing. No big deal, if you just want a Spanish deck.

Right now i'm sorta broken, but if you can wait until the end of the month, i'll receive my money and i might then be able to send a deck. :)

~Yuko

Skydancer

Oh, no me problemo!!

It was just a thought - and we can start this up again in early March, see what's available at the time. BUt the shipping does seem too high. :(

So -- we'll see.
Thanks for responding!!

*S*

catlin

Can't wait to get my Baraja to try them out.

catlin

Yay, got my baraja today!!! Now I can try out some more with this.

Cerulean

Ah...here's another mention...reviving this question

http://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/homehistory.cfm?object=5040

Lovely hand-painted cards referenced...and the umpteenth lovely hint that these cards were used for divination as well in Spain.

Ahh....but when first asked, many are intrigued, as I am...just never had seen or was able to find an reference about how these cards were read...written down...but their beautiful Latin suits are so tarotlike, I can easily imagine why my 1971 antique book referred to them as 'gypsy' and 'tarot' deck for reading fortunes and game-playing.

I recently found a charming Victorian Playing Card book for about two dollars and fifty cents, used that had French/poker pips...but also some period illustrations of transformation cards, even Latin-suited pips from Grimaud's collection (although the decks are not named, just a credit to Grimaud)...anyway, I dug out my Gypsy Fortune card reference and my two copies of my favorite Latin-suited decks...

The new thread will talk about favorite period historical reprints and resources...and has anyone really found a book or suitable translation of reading Spanish playing cards? I think I once saw a book titled "Naipes or Barajas" (for playing cards?) from Fournier in Spanish that might have cartomancy samples and instructions to read? Might be my wishful thinking.

I'll keep looking! Happy hunting or hope you enjoy these above links...

Best wishes,

Cerulean

MatPoint

Hi,

Yes those are Spanish cards or "Baraja Española". I'm from Spain and those are the playing cards we use here for playing and for readings also.

There are equivalences between the Spanish cards and the other playing cards.

Diamonds = Oros (Coins)
Hearts = Copas (Coups)
Spades = Espadas (Swords)
Clubs = Bastos (Wands)

In the Spanish cards there is no Queen and in addition we have the knight.

So the court cards are: Page, Knight, King.

So you can use your standard playing cards replacing the page with the queen.

Eios

Spanish Cards (Baraja Espanola)

Cerulean said:
The deck and meanings look charming.

http://www.serenapowers.com/spanishcards.html#meanings1

http://www.serenapowers.com/spanishcards.html

I wonder if people have heard of this? Is it similar to regular English/French playing card divination?

Cerulean

This is one of the most common forms of card divination in Mexico and other Latin American countries, probably even more than Tarot. I my experience it gives quite good divinations in mundane aspects of life and even of spiritual things if you gain proficency in it. I have discovered that the meanings correspond quite closely to Lenormand and other 'Gipsy' decks. My theory is that they were probably, along with Piquet, the cards actually used and read by gipsies and Mdme. Lenormand (at least at first). Any thoughts on this?

Does anyone do readings with these cards? I believe Ladybro said she reads them occasionally.

Eios

Cerulean

Spanish decks in the Americas and Europe

http://www.wopc.co.uk/conosur/index.html

Really beautiful links, found in context with another thread...but this is the "Spanish" pattern of playing cards with Latin-suits that are very tarotlike...wouldn't it be wonderous if they were the inspirations of reported 'gypsy tarots'....

Cerulean

MatPoint

All methods of cartomancy have things in common, but Lenormand was not based on Spanish Cards. Mlle. Lenormand was very fond of the "Petit-Etteilla" deck. Which is also a 36 card system plus the Etteilla card. It is from this deck that she created her version. In fact Lenormand has been to Cartomancy what Rider-Waite has been to tarot. Mlle. Lenormand just added images to the cards.

If you check out the "Petit-Etteila" you'll see how similiar is to Lenormand. The keywords, combinations and so on. Lenormand seems to be a simplified version of "Petit-Etteila"

Here you can see an example of Petit-Etteilla with a shor description of on card and the method to read it. http://villarevak.org/bio/etteilla_1a.html

Everywhere gypsys have been associated to fortune telling and it is the same way here in Spain, but Spanish playing cards are used by many psychics here in Spain nowadays.

I do readings with Spanish cards. I use the classical rommani spread and the gypsy spread (lenormand Grand Tableu style) and for shorter readings and daily readings I use the squeare of 9. Then there are other classical spreads in Spanish cards such us the Great Pyramid, the Cross and "La Espiga". In these 3 last spreads the cards are read in combos of 3 just like the standard playing cards.

Mat

Eios

Very interesting info MatPoint. I didn't know Lenormand used the Petit Etteilla. So it's back to Alliette again, just like most modern interpretations of the cards.

I'm very interested to know more about the spreads you use and how you read them with the Spanish cards, if you are willing to share.

Saludos

Eios