How much would you pay for a Tarot teacher or course?

JylliM

I have paid for two online courses from the same teacher, and intend to do so again. As courses go, they were inexpensive - between $100 and $150 US. I was willing to pay because of the quality of the teacher's books (I actually learnt HOW to read!) and free online material. She is a standout, and quite different to anyone else I've encountered either in real life or online. The courses were worth many times what I paid for them, imo. This teacher is that good.

I wouldn't pay a cent for a course from someone I didn't already have great respect for as a reader and teacher, or who would just teach standard meanings or encourage you to 'experience the cards for yourself' or some other such fluffy BS. You can get any of that from any beginner book and a deck of cards.

I personally don't advise just learning here. This is a great place to talk about tarot, practise readings, and generally enjoy likeminded company, but in my opinion it is difficult to learn in any coherent way from a whole lot of people with different opinions. It can be just confusing. Also, most people on here read RWS, so if that's not your thing you won't get as much input. That isn't to say there aren't great advice and excellent readers on here, just that I don't see it as the best way to learn. Good books and good teachers are more coherent and substantial. They will take you further and deeper. As long as you practice! :) (Note to self - get off the laptop and pick up some cards.)

ETA: Of course, you don't have to get a teacher, but if you have the opportunity to learn from someone really good - why not?

Barleywine

If I were to start over and had the luxury of face-to-face instruction, I would want something as close to individual mentoring as I could get: personal or small-group meetings with personalized content that ideally shapes itself to my growing skills and interests. I'm not much for on-line or learn-by-mail courses since I find it too easy to avoid doing the work. It would probably be an hourly arrangement rather than lump-sum (plus cost of any training materials), and wouldn't have a set scope other than covering the basics first and advanced topics only where they seem useful to my purpose. I would want some say in how the instruction is structured and delivered so I wouldn't be wasting my time on material of marginal value.

gregory

I personally don't advise just learning here. This is a great place to talk about tarot, practise readings, and generally enjoy likeminded company, but in my opinion it is difficult to learn in any coherent way from a whole lot of people with different opinions. It can be just confusing. Also, most people on here read RWS, so if that's not your thing you won't get as much input.
The trouble with a course is that you only get ONE person's view. I disagree very much with things I have seen on the websites of several respected teachers for whom I have great respect. Hell - I disagree with Rachel Pollack on quite a few things. :D

I can think of exactly one respected teacher with whom I have yet to disagree - and as it happens, I have emailed that teacher more than once and received a courteous and free reply. Now, I have been to a number of presentations, and have learned new stuff from all of them. One-offs like that yes. But a whole course risks shoe-horning the student into the teacher's approach/beliefs. Before taking one, I would want to know a great deal of what I need to know, as you might say.

JylliM

The trouble with a course is that you only get ONE person's view. I disagree very much with things I have seen on the websites of several respected teachers for whom I have great respect. Hell - I disagree with Rachel Pollack on quite a few things. :D

I can think of exactly one respected teacher with whom I have yet to disagree - and as it happens, I have emailed that teacher more than once and received a courteous and free reply. Now, I have been to a number of presentations, and have learned new stuff from all of them. One-offs like that yes. But a whole course risks shoe-horning the student into the teacher's approach/beliefs. Before taking one, I would want to know a great deal of what I need to know, as you might say.

Yes, you learn one person's system, but if you have any critical faculties you can take from it what you want and leave or adapt the rest.

It's like learning anything, really. Go to a good teacher, learn what you can from them and then go to another one if you want. Use your own brain all the way. But learn well, don't join a Facebook group or two, or chat on here, and expect to get deep knowledge.

silvereye

I'm considering joining the Tarot Summer School as well, looks fun and am curious about how people deliver an online course like that with a campfire session.

Miss Divine

I honestly wouldn't spend any money on a tarot teacher. Learning tarot takes time, and there is so much information available in books and the internet. I learned alot from this site. But I learned mostly by using and working with the cards, gaining my experience that way. Just my opinion..

JylliM

Actually, she was in my class for one course! :)

Emeraud

I'm considering joining the Tarot Summer School as well, looks fun and am curious about how people deliver an online course like that with a campfire session.

Silvereye, I gave myself a birthday gift and enrolled! Maybe I'll "see" you at the campfire session :)

silvereye

Silvereye, I gave myself a birthday gift and enrolled! Maybe I'll "see" you at the campfire session :)

Oh which one have you enrolled in? Or did you join the seasonal pass? Im interested in the shadowwork one as i enjoy Benebells book and havent seen much written on this subject. The only other Tarot book on this subject seems out of print too.

Emeraud

I joined the seasonal pass. I watched the promo videos and decided I was interested in most of the topics, so I had a "treat yourself" moment!