Large Thoth - how to avoid the "greenie" version

gregory

Have the backs borders ?

gregory

Then be VERY VERY careful ! The images are NOT all the same size. Trust Jackdaw. She now has a VERY strange trimmed Thoth deck. MEASURE all of them before you start and work from the largest image; use that as a template for the others..

McFaire

WAIT !

Are there white borders on the backs ? If not - be VERY careful. In the old style ones with borderless backs - the images aren't the same size and you may end up with an unholy mess. There is a thread here where Jackdaw found this out the hard way.

There are some variations in the size of the images -- as much as 3mm on the vertical axis, i.e. too much to shave off.

Thank you for the heads up.

It looks like I'll putting this deck into the non-circulating part of my little collection and buying another for trimming/study.

McFaire

Then be VERY VERY careful ! The images are NOT all the same size. Trust Jackdaw. She now has a VERY strange trimmed Thoth deck. MEASURE all of them before you start and work from the largest image; use that as a template for the others..

You're right. And I think having those varying borders remaining on the front would be distracting.

On other additions, the publishers must have slightly stretched the images to make them uniform.

gregory

There are some variations in the size of the images -- as much as 3mm on the vertical axis, i.e. too much to shave off.

Thank you for the heads up.

It looks like I'll putting this deck into the non-circulating part of my little collection and buying another for trimming/study.
I bought a regular sized one and trimmed that. It worked beautifully.

McFaire

I trimmed a standard size last week and it turned out so beautifully that I really wanted to do a large.

McFaire

I'm posting a pic so others can see what we're referring to. Pocket Swiss USG compared to the large USG greenie.

In the large deck, the 7 of Disks image is taller than the 10 of Discs by several mm. In the pocket size, the images are the same height.

Also you can see the paler color and green hue of the large deck.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpg
    IMG_1043.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 199

AJ

will you post a few what you think might be a greenie with standard grey thoth images?
Inquiring minds want to know ;)

McFaire

will you post a few what you think might be a greenie with standard grey thoth images?
Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Here are a few examples with the standard

It looks to me like what really happened with the print process was, rather than too much green, there wasn't enough blue. It's the missing blue saturation that makes them pale and explains, for example, the Fool being yellow-green instead of forest green, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpg
    IMG_1044.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 201