Reversals a must?

PsychicWitch

Thank you everyone! You have been a great help, but i have another question, hahaha! I was wondering, if you dont use reversals, isn't that kind of limiting the outcomes. I mean if you only use upright cards, then you only use upright meanings, but if you use both upright and inverted, then that gives you more help or guidance, am I right? I thought that the upright tarot was good news and the inverted negative?

Moonbow

Just because the card is upright doesn't mean the meaning is positive (or upright), this is where your own intuitive/immaginative nature comes in. If you decide to read this way it will involve considering all the aspects of the card and only one aspect will come to you as being correct within the setting at that time.

It doesn't hold that if the card is upright that you only use upright meanings. What holds it that you as a reader decide how that card should be read.

PsychicWitch

Ok, so you are saying if the card means, lets say celebrations and parties and happiness, if it is upright (and i only use upright) and i get a negative vibe from it or it doesnt feel right because of the cards it is set beside that i can give it the reverse meaning like sadness and a celebreation, but it may not be a happy one, a funeral or a negative family get together? Is that what you mean?

balenciaga

Rev or RSUp

Yes, PsychicWitch - I agree - whether or not you read reversals, the combinations and the placement of reversals or right side ups will bear out the same message. This is because not all 78 cards right side up have positive meanings.

PsychicWitch

So is that how you read negative cards? I mean if the card means happiness and celebrations but i get a negative vibe, that you switch it to sadness and an unhappy celebration. Is that right? If i get a negative sense just reverse the meaning?

SunChariot

Almost nothing is a must in Tarot. There are almost as many ways to read as there are readers. It's a very individual path, we all find what works for us by trying. You can try reversals, but if it doesn't feel right to you, there is no reason you have to. Many people never use them.

And as well, they do not have to mean what the reversed meanings in a book say. There are many other ways to use reversals, including using them to simply indicate a delay or blockage or using them to indicate an inner process (where upright cards in the spread would indicate an outer process).

Hope that didn't confuse things more! LOL

Bar

SunChariot

PsychicWitch said:
Ok, so you are saying if the card means, lets say celebrations and parties and happiness, if it is upright (and i only use upright) and i get a negative vibe from it or it doesnt feel right because of the cards it is set beside that i can give it the reverse meaning like sadness and a celebreation, but it may not be a happy one, a funeral or a negative family get together? Is that what you mean?

Just to but in :grin:, a card showing celebrations and parties does not necessarily mean that those are coming in the future. All depends on the question, and on what you sense the card means in relation to it. If a card comes up that says parties and celebrations, what about them. That is what you need to decide as a reader. Does it mean that there are some coming in your future, does it mean that you feel a lack now in your life because there were more of those in your past than there are now, does it mean that you need to feel more confident and celebrate your inner worth more and to know you can be the life of any party if you let yourself go and be yourself? ....

Bar

frelkins

PsychicWitch said:
So is that how you read negative cards? I mean if the card means happiness and celebrations but i get a negative vibe,

let's be more practical in an example. let's say a woman comes to you to ask how she can be more successful in getting into law school.

so you do a spread with opportunities, obstacles, and outcomes.

if your happiness and celebration card shows up in the obstacles position, well, maybe that means she needs to stop partying so much and study more! :) it's all about context and relationship!

SunChariot

frelkins said:
let's be more practical in an example. let's say a woman comes to you to ask how she can be more successful in getting into law school.

so you do a spread with opportunities, obstacles, and outcomes.

if your happiness and celebration card shows up in the obstacles position, well, maybe that means she needs to stop partying so much and study more! :) it's all about context and relationship!

Exactly. It context and the question, In that case it's clear she is not being advised to spend all her time partying.

B