Tarot del Barrio

stephyjh

Before moving here to St. Croix, I lived in a neighborhood in the Charlotte, NC, area which was fairly low-income and primarily Mexican and Central American. I'm still inspired by the images I remember from those years, and I'm thinking of creating a tarot deck based on it--big pickup truck with a Mexican flag design on the back window as The Chariot, an old Santera with her beads and her all-white clothes as the High Priestess, a drunk man singing mariachi music on the hood of his car as the Fool, vaquera girls in their tight jeans, blouses tied to show their midriffs, and cowboy hats as the queens on the pip cards, La Santa Muerte as Death. What I'm wondering is whether this would be somehow disrespectful, if people would take it as if I were perpetuating a racial stereotype by depicting the neighborhood where I grew up. Any thoughts?

Golden Moon

You can do whatever you want stephyjh, as long as it's not portraid like something out of Family Guy or South Park:(. I, Myself, being Latino feel proud that your paying a tribute to Hispanic culture;).

stephyjh

I wouldn't dare make fun. I was the only non-Hispanic person in our area, and that includes my then-husband. It was just how life was.

Golden Moon

stephyjh said:
I wouldn't dare make fun. I was the only non-Hispanic person in our area, and that includes my then-husband. It was just how life was.

That's wonderful, if you'd like, I can give you some ideas:).

WingspreadPhoenix

There will always be people who will find something disrespectful, but being half Hispanic myself I see nothing wrong with it. Even though there will be people who will find it disrespectful, there will also be the people who realize that it's not. I honestly think that's a great deck idea, and you should go for it! :>

Stormdancer

I LIKE the idea...and would not be offended.

stephyjh

GoldenMoon: That would be great.

Golden Moon

Perfect, feel free to PM me;).