digital vs offset printing

Babalon Jones

Since my deck is complete now, I'm researching printing options and wondering if anyone wanted to weigh in. I've contacted three local offset printers, and am awaiting quotes to come in next week. Of the three, I spoke to two over the phone and one via an email quote form. The two I spoke two have never done decks of any kind before at least to the knowledge of the reps I spoke to, so that is not encouraging. Though they have very nice new state of the art four and six color presses. There is a fourth one I'll contact next week that I think is larger. *edited to add that I'm now receiving multiple quotes from half a dozen offset printers, some of whom actually have done decks! Plus in the meantime doing some digital prototypes next week!

It seems obvious that offset printing has the advantages of being more professional, long wearing, aqueous coated and all that, but of course it is going to have a large minimum print run and be super expensive. Aqueous vs UV is yet another question! Am trying to be courageous over the potential cost. Courage over wisdom, lol!

I've also spoken to a local digital printer. The costs are more affordable, the print run is smaller, really whatever I want it to be. There is probably more work for me to do this way, as i'm not sure if they offer laminating and cutting; going to have to ask when I visit them. They actually HAVE done several game decks, and say people are very pleased with the colors. (Going to see them this Friday to have some prototypes made)

One thing I'm worried about with digital printing is whether it holds up; are the inks archival enough?

The third option is to just submit to publishers and not bother. Which I'm considering, but I'd like to at least do a small print run of artist signed copies, and retain control of how they look, etc at least for that run. I'm looking forward to designing the box and the packaging and potential goodies such as bags etc. It seems like that part will be fun. After all of the work on the printer research, the website, the book - I need some fun. I already miss just working on the paintings.

For me the ideal situation would be to do a small (a hundred? a few hundred? no more than 1000 as I don't know how many I could sell myself) self-published print run, and have fun making custom boxes and selling special editions, then have one of the big 3 do a mass market edition. (I can dream)

If you were me, based on what you have seen of my deck, what would you do? (if you have looked at it, if not and you want to, the website in my profile has some cards of majors and each suit posted)

For you tarot users and collectors, would you buy a digitally printed, laminated version? Do they hold up to usage? Would you prefer a professionally offset printed one? A mass market edition?

Babalon Jones

Thinking about this, a major downside of just submitting the deck to publishers is the long lag time. Waiting for acceptance, if any, then waiting for the deck to actually be released. I'd love to have it available sooner! I don't think I can wait to see it manifest in 3D.

Rootweaver

Just wanted to say congratulations on completing your deck, and that your creations are beautiful. I hope that you are somewhat closer to making a decision with regards the printing of your deck. I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'd like to follow the rest of you journey in birthing this deck.

So exciting!

JbR

Babalon Jones

Hi Jera!

Thanks very much! This sure is an obsessive quest. Currently I have several irons in the fire. I am receiving quotes from several printers, and trying to determine which one of them would be best to work with. They all have one thing in common: very expensive, to various degrees! It is a lot of money to come up with, and scary to put out that much up front without knowing what the end result will be.

I've decided that going offset is the way to go for my cards for a couple of reasons. The quotes I've received so far, offset is not THAT much more costly than digital. The color quality is supposed to be better, and that is important to me. And, since the back design of the cards is a reversable, symmetrical design, proper registration (fronts & backs lining up) is important, and offset is better for this.

I also am researching possible ways of manufacturing them myself. Sounds crazy, but not completely. I've found a really nice quality photo printer with archival inks, and an affordable source for good quality double sided photo cardstock. The prints of the cards come out really nice.

Now I'm researching coatings. I have access to a spray booth and may just get an aqueous coating and coat them myself. Have contacted a few manufacturers to make sure the coating is compatible with my printers inks.

I also have a cold laminator, which could be used instead of coating. Used on my prototype cards it has worked quite well. The cards look and handle great as the laminate is super thin and does not require a plastic edge. But the laminate is a bit expensive and the decks come out about 25% thicker than an aqueous coated deck, so a little bulky for my tastes. Though still riffle-shuffle-able.

Cutting them myself though has proved to be a challenge. I have an excellent photo cutter and corner rounder but even so, making a couple of decks took hours and hours and nearly gave me a repetitive stress injury, lol. Took two days for my forearm to recover. So, am looking into having a machine made to cut them, and it is looking promising on that front though still waiting to hear back from some manufacturers.

Still deciding which way to go. It seems like even if I have the cards professionally printed I'll still have to make the boxes myself, as it is just too darn expensive.

As soon as news is forthcoming, I'll post something in the forums letting you all know the results!