Question about card backs...

Lost girl

Not that I am ready to think about backs for my deck yet but...

Sometimes Tarot decks have solid or patterned backs...
Sometimes they have images on them
Sometimes there is a definate top and bottom to the back of the card...
Sometimes there is not....

Any rules of thumb? Personal Preferences?

September Pixie

I preferr the decks where the backs are just as pretty as the front of the cards (Thoth is my LEAST favorite.. while I really much rather like the Froud Oracle backs) and I prefer that I can choose to reverse the cards if I should wish to do so. :)

pinkmunkey

I'm not quite sure that there are any "rules of thumb" per se floating around out there, but I do know that some people can be very particular about every aspect of the cards they read with. Personally, I'm fairly laid back with regards to the backs of my cards (although I am spoiled right now, I read from the Gendron, and their backs are absolutely gorgeous).

From what I've seen out there, I know that some decks have a rougher or B&W depiction of whatever card they happen to be as their back. I've seen it in one deck in particular on Aeclectic, but I can't remember what it is right now. Personally, I'd hate to use a deck like that simply because I believe the cards should be judged individually as you turn them over and then again as a whole once the entire spread has been laid down. Picture backs let you cheat =P. I also prefer ambiguous backs that look the same upside down as they do right side up, but that's only because I read using reversed cards, and I don't like to know what is reversed and what isn't until I've got them laid out in a spread.

All that being said, its all about personal preference. Shop around and see what feels good for you! I hope this helps!

Annabelle

I don't have any rules of thumb for you, but I'm happy to share my personal preferences :).

Reversible backs are good, so that you cannot discern if cards are upright or reversed while shuffling and selecting.

Simple patterns are good. I may be the only person on the planet who feels this way, but I love the backs of the 1971 RWS from U.S. Games, with the blue plaid design. I love the backs of the 1JJ Swiss, too - a brownish plaid. And the backs of the Fournier Marseille, which are not plaid, but are a very simple geometric, neutral-toned design.

If something that plain isn't your thing, then I'd encourage going for elegance. Check out the backs of the Fairytale deck, for example. A lovely, delicate blue and gold design...

September Pixie

I don't like picture backs either! For simplistic design, I like Gothic Tarot (Vargo) but I really prefer decks that have a fully detailed back (again, reference to Froud) lol

Wings

Card Backs

It is amazing how wide a field this is...I don't like the all over plaid backs(reminds me of my shool uniforms) my personal favorite is the DNA mandella design on the Voyager Tarot...I'm designing my own deck and keep redesigning the back..in fact I was disscusing the back design with my partner today...I want it to be beautiful and compelling...I don't think I spelled that right..but certain colors and designs just satisfy the eye and definatley make a statement ...hope to see what youare up I'll show you mine if you show me yours !

Lost girl

my cards

Wings said:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours !

I began posting my cards (and deck updates) under the thread

"And so it begins 3 cards done... 75 to go"

You can find them here: http:\\www.hollyglenn.com.

FYI - Recently I decided to replace the strength card with another image. It was the first card that I did, it is fairly traditional, but my deck has gone in a more modern direction so unfortunately it just doesn't fit. I like the card however, so I have decided to also do a traditional deck that will include this original strength card.

Do you have a link to your cards?

Wings

Sharing

Well I went to your link and realized I spent a long time at your site I'm a newbie and well there is such a wealth of talent and insight I am not always recognizing names but I like to check out the profiles and posts of members who have responded to me...
I was very impressed with your designs...they have the still dignity of modern Icon's; the clarity of the color and the integrity of expression is outstanding...to me the essence of the Icon is to create a sacred space and allow the "spirit " to come home...
I just put 20 of my Tarot paintings on my Fine Art Site and this can be found at http:annameansgrace.byregion.net now I don't know how to make that a link but if you push the website button at the bottom of my post you'll get there...it will say at the top left IMAGE GALLERY the first gallery will be Anna"s Angels on the right is adrop down menue and the Tarot Gallery is the 4th one down...we paint very differently but once I copied a Vermer and I so admire the stillness...mine are very busy and kind of unorthadox (Tarot wise)

fairyhedgehog

I prefer patterned to picture backs and I like them reversible. I like the cards to have a fairly "playing card" type feel to them, but more beautiful.

The Universal Waite has dark blue with gold stars - lovely! The Shakespearian has a design of leaves apparently carved out of old wood.

I don't like too many colours on the backs, it doesn't give enough contrast with the fronts.

But if it is your deck, the question is really what do you like?

jackdaw*

I also like reversible and patterned backs. And like Annabelle, I love the elegance of the Fairytale.