Questions for all deck creators!... please :)

yaraluna

I am re-inspired to continue my tarot deck that i started a couple of years ago. i have been saving images and scanning some of them when time permited.Now I have some questions to ask. I ahve been using the search tool in this forum and reading over lots of info, as well as PM'ing some of you about certani specifics.
now here are the questions/doubts/dilemmas i still have:

1-scan pics and make collage totally digially
....OR scan images to archive, but make the cards in 81/2X11 sheets and
then scan the finished image to retouch and add text digitally/

2- print at home in digital printer
.........OR take to printer and have them printed and cut there

*IF the latter...has any of you printed the cards in paper and laser process as they do for business cards? what were your results?

3-whether printed at home or not, do I still need to protect the cards? even if they are digitally laser printed?
*IF i DO need to protect them: is it best to laminate at 1.5ml
...........OR is it better to spray coat them?

3.1 IF i spray coat them, what is your best result product or process to do so? have you used Shellack?

thank you foryour input as I REALLY need it and REALLY appreciate it! :)

yara

DraagonStorm

That looks like just on overcoat to set the ink from smugging(sp?)

For myself, I produce my SpiroTarot and Oh! Wicked Wanda at home: http://www.draagonstorm.com ...

The SpiroTarot is printed with an inkjet printer (the quality and detail of an inkjet printer is needed for this deck) on 110 lb card stock and then I cold laminate 1.5 mil, and then cut the cards out with a roller type paper cutter. For corner cutting, I found a great deal on eBay for a profession corner cutter, those craft corner cutters are fine for making your own personal deck, but I'm producing mine for sell. The only difference for Oh! Wicked Wanda is that I can use my laser printer, which is not a expensive in ink/toner as the inkjet.

You can also look into Plain Cards http://www.plaincards.com/Trading.html , we discussed these alot on the ACT AT ***majors only*** deck project thread http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=67996 Note on using the Plain Cards... I had no luck printing with the laser printer... But no problems in the ink jet printer.... The main thing is that the paper feed can't have a lot of twists and turns. My laser jet has twist and turns, and ink jet has a straight feed.

With the Plain Cards I use Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating 1303, and I found that to coat the cards very well.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions don't be a afraid to ask. I tried so many, many, many different things, and this is what I finally came up with.

yaraluna

thank you Dragon!

I will check on those items and your deck. anyone else? do you know if the way they print business cards is similar to the way they print tarot/playing cards? i mean the paper and ink?

thanks

yara

yaraluna

hi dragon,
so your decks are different in amount of cards. how did it work out for the 78 card deck once laminated? was it too bulky or hard to shuffle?

thanks

DraagonStorm

The card/deck is not really thicker then any other 78 card decks that I have. That's why I use the cold laminate, that's the only way I could laminate at 1.5 mil. The hot laminator's thinnest laminate that I could find was 3 mil. I did get a hot laminator and tried it, but the cards where to thick.

The cards are a bit more slippery then 'professional' cards.. but remember, the companies like US Games and such, make there own paper and coating processes. I have no problem with shuffling them.

BB
DraagonStorm

I snapped a picture for you to make a comparison

Attachments

• decksize1.jpg
    decksize1.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 115

yaraluna

oh my! it looks awesome! it sure gives me hope to continue mine lOL!!!

SO, when you laminate it, do you cut out the edges all the way to the edge of the paper? have you had any peel off at all? I'm sorry if i am repeating myself here :rolleyes:

going back to my card making :laugh:

DraagonStorm

In the case of the 'standard' size cards. I printout 6 cards on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, then I laminate the whole sheet, and then cut the individual cards out. The smaller sized cards, I can get 8 cards on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. I haven't had any peeling problem, and have not heard of anyone else having a problem.... time will tell.

BB
DraagonStorm

yaraluna

so do you cut them out all the way to the edge of the cardstock OR do you cut them out leaving a lamination edge to it? do you know what i mean? as what they do to the driver's licenses and that kind of laminated doc's.
thanks

DraagonStorm

I don't think your getting what I'm trying to say.

Attached is a picture of a sheet with eight cards printer on it, and then cold laminated. I use a "Xyron 900 cold laminator". At this point I would then cut out the cards and then corner cut.

BB
DraagonStorm

Attachments

• more stuff.jpg
    more stuff.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 113