Could readings go wrong?

gregory

Accuracy is, by definition, a certainty. One is not accurate some of the time. One is accurate all the time or one is not accurate at all.
WHAT ? So if I fail to balance my checkbook one month (inaccurate) and get it right the next month - which time was I inaccurate, or because I got it wrong once am I always inaccurate ? Even though I think I have only - over all the years I have been doing that - only ever got it wrong twice...

I cannot buy this one.

mccross

Maybe the future can change cos affected by external :)

RakeruUsagi

Well...

I really think if everyone's Tarot readings were always spot on there wouldn't be much use for this forum. I don't believe that the point to Tarot readings is getting it "right", but that it's supposed to be a learning process for everyone involved. Maybe the girl you did the reading for did not see what you said actually come true, but hopefully it opened her eyes to a new perspective. Each card and combination of cards has too many connotations to be able to just pick one and say "That's it, case closed." Maybe instead of focusing on your accuracy there is a lesson to be learned...

SunChariot

I am a tarot card reader and all my reading have come true except few!
What could be the reason?

I did reading for a girl and all predictions came true except one. I would like to know how could this happen?
I do trust my cards and in divination but a prediction coming out untrue is hard to digest

I am sure you are a very good reader. :grin:

When what you desciribed happens it does not mean the reading went wrong. What you are talking about here is reading about the future, when you talk about things coming true.

The thing about the future is that is is not set in stone as commonly beleived. It CAN change. We can choose to change it and it can also at time change all on its own. Sometimes we can even change it accidentally without meaning too. Eg just hearing an answer in a reading can change our attitude towards the situaton. When we change our attitude we change how we react to it. And how we react to the situation affects the future of it.

So this my belief on what has happened here. Mos likely ALL of your predictions were right. You just ran into a case where the future of the situation changed after you did the reading.

That is what Tarot is in relation to the future, that and nothing more. In relation to teh future, ALL that Tarot can ever do is to tell you the exact future you are heading towards at teh exact moment in time that the raeding was done. If that future changes aftehr the reading is done that future will not be reflected in the reading and what it predicts will nto happen. But that does not mean the reading was wrong. It may have been perfectly accurate at the moment in time it was done, but then things changed afterwards.

That is the nature of reading the future with Tarot, Usuallyu thingg come out as predicted but then you never know when tehy may change and this may happen. That is why on impoertant issues oin the future I always do requerent readings, about once a month to see if that future has in fact chaanged. And if it has moved, how to help it go back to where I want to be in that future.

Grizabella

Maybe the girl you did the reading for did not see what you said actually come true, but hopefully it opened her eyes to a new perspective...

This brings up another good point. Often a person you read for hears what they want to hear, not what you actually said. To oversimplify it, if you tell a person they're not going to win the entire lottery but they might win a smaller amount, sometimes they come back to you and tell you that you told them they would win the whole lottery but they didn't. You ask them if they did win at least something and they'll say they did win $100 but not the 45 million or whatever it is.

SunChariot

That is very true. In my day job I work on the telephone. And you would not believe how often people hear what they want to hear instead of what you actually said. It's like they are listening onlyfor that and hear only what is related to that.

I am constantly amazed that in a 3-4 minute conversation I can tell them the same thing 4 times (literally) and at the end they tell me I did not tell them that. It's not just me it happens to my co-workers too.

Babs

trzes

One is not accurate some of the time. One is accurate all the time or one is not accurate at all.

The weather forecast for example: One single forecast may be accurate, it may be inaccurate but point in the right direction (still being helpful) or it may be totally wrong. The system works because it has a better than random chance of making a helpful prediction, but the whole system as such isn't (always) accurate of course.

The most optimistic assumption about tarot is that it works like a weather report, having a better than random chance to make a helpful prediction. A helpful comment of any kind would actually be enough. I haven't read a claim yet that it would or should be accurate in every single case, and the forum is full of single examples where it wasn't. We can't avoid uncertainty, and therefore there will be no 100% accurate (and gentle and trustworhy ... oops different thread, sorry Doreen) tool for anything.

Meteorologists though had a hard enough time giving reliable evidence that they really do better than they would do if they would simply predict today's weather for tomorrow. And they can actually measure their stuff in terms of numbers (temperature, humidity, amount of rainfall, and more) which makes it a lot easier to find statistical evidence.

The case of tarot is a fair bit more complicated, because it isn't about numbers at all. It is indeed about “goodness or benefiting humanity” (as Alamaris said) or similar things that are hard to measure. But a double blind test is designed exactly for this kind of tricky cases. One could repeatedly ask sitters after the prediction period (which should be short) about how accurate they regard a reading on a scale from 0 to 10. This would be the data, like temperature. While the reading is done the reader would have to lay the spread with identical and reversible (if needed) back sides up. Then the experimental design comes in. The whole table with the cards is carried into another room. A coin is tossed to decide if nothing is done to the cards or if the spread is replaced by cards determined by a series of computer generated random numbers. The table goes back to the reader. Neither sitter nor reader knows if this is a spread laid by the reader or a real random one. That makes it double blind. We do this a thousand times or more with different readers and sitters. Then we compare the average amount of the sitter’s satisfaction in the random cases with that of the properly laid cases. And IF we can assume that unlike cards and reader those computer generated random numbers are NOT tools of divination then we can measure the effect of divination.

The worst thing for tarot would be that we would find no significance for divination. Since this test only compares tarot work with divination and tarot work without divination, nothing is said about any other means by which it might work. And I think it’s fair enough when people are not bothered too much about it.

Stark Raven

Originally Posted by bogiesan:
However, there are many people on this forum who genuinely and deeply believe their tarot cards not only possess the ability to see into the future but they can return their senses to this location in space and time and deliberately arrange themselves physically in an order that will communicate the nature of the upcoming predetermined future events to their handler.

I DARE you to diagramme that sentence! LOL!!!!

I don't understand the middle of this sentence:
Quote:
they can return their senses to this location in space and time and deliberately arrange themselves physically in an order that will communicate the nature of the upcoming predetermined future events.

Please explain.

I am imagining tarotbear's being perplexed at this statement's true meaning. I am getting that it's possibly bogesian's way to explain that synchronicity is a commonly accepted theory for how Tarot works, we'll perhaps find out what he or she is thinking from their response. Meanwhile, I am wondering how I must arrange myself physically to do a Tarot reading to accurately predict the future. Is it like this - ::::::sits comfortably on a cushion, cross-legged::::::; or perhaps more like this - :::::: contorts into a pretzel-like formation with legs entwined through arms ::::::. I don't know...

gregory

I am merely increasingly amazed at the idea that someone's readings COULD always be right. It seems to me to suggest a) blind faith (not so hot as a spiritual path) or b) conceit.

If a reader I met told me they were always right, I'd find me another reader, to be honest. Either they are a liar or they are deluded.

Stark Raven

I am a tarot card reader and all my reading have come true except few!
What could be the reason?

I did reading for a girl and all predictions came true except one. I would like to know how could this happen?
I do trust my cards and in divination but a prediction coming out untrue is hard to digest

It seems to me you need to back up a bit to take a new and wider approach to get the real truth of the situation here...

First, how would one know if they got all readings true? You don't, you never will; assume you didn't. First off, that will keep you humble and from appearing foolish, young and inexperienced. Secondly it will keep your eyes and brain open to experience and to utilize better approaches in the future. People are prone to tell you what is easiest to tell you, whether that be true or false. They will possibly at times tell you that you were right if wrong, or wrong when right. Don't go by what people say.

If you are judging by what you see, that can be deceiving to the nth degree; you certainly can't trust your eyes for a clear analysis of any given circumstance, after all, what they see must be interpreted by your brain, based upon your life experience. That then is a tainted view, isn't it? So what you need to do is understand that the Tarot isn't consistently provable as either accurate or inaccurate. That you either have your own reasons to keep faith to follow your journey in Tarot through, or you don't and must move on to what floats your boat.

If everyone whom ever attempted to read Tarot could get 100% accuracy, which as pointed out is impossible for the best of readers; then just about everyone would be doing it. Really. You need to know that there is great value in allowing oneself to be inaccurate and accepting it with grace. As long as you occasionally feel what it feels like to be wrong, it will keep you striving to be right. If you didn't have that, how would you keep learning? How often we meet Tarot readers with many decades of experience that still read, do and experience all they can; this in their hungry pursuit of higher knowledge of the Tarot.

How rare it is we meet someone, even with decades of experience within the world of Tarot that professes themself to be 100% accurate, or lets be more logical, 90 or even 85% (the highest rate of accuracy possible is 70%) accurate. It absolutely shouldn't enter into how you find your faith to continue learning. My advice? Use Tarot to grow spiritually, just because you can; therein lies its true value. Be thankful that for a side-dish you get a free serving of divination. Blessings to you in your journey through the Tarot!