Tarot Decoratif

cirom

When I was working on this Tarot Decoratif, I approached various renowned TdM persons in the community for feedback and advice. Some didn't bother to respond, but fortunately several others did, including the late Yoav Ben Dov, who provided much insight suggestions, and more importantly encouragement on a regular basis.

I chose to describe the deck as "inspired by" the Tarot de Marseilles, and so it was for many reasons. So I was trying to honest, but also i have to admit the use of that terms was also trying to provide myself with a safety net against any TdM purists who may have foamed at the mouth at this twist on their cherished tradition.

So admittedly its a hybrid, one that may well be perceived as not one thing or another, a mix that both falls short and falls in between the cracks of the more established systems. If so i accept that and presumably such people are not likely to be potential customers of it anyway. Nevertheless I prefer to describe it as a transitionary deck between the TdM and WCS. The numerical order, structure and overall concept of the images, certainly in the majors, is pretty close to the TdM. The obvious departure is in the minors, where i have incorporated small pictoral inserts in the otherwise "less illustrated" pips.

These serve as visual connections to the corresponding cards of the WCS, and as such might serve as training wheels for those using this deck but who might not be familiar with or had previously found the TdM imagery less appealing.

But equally i believe an experienced TdM reader could easily look beyond these visual additions should they choose to.

Ultimately it is what it is, and hopefully it can be assessed and used in its own right independently of obligations for it to be comply and be compared for accuracy to other systems.

Attachments

• 16113237_10154577632888751_5134853479656097731_o.jpg
    16113237_10154577632888751_5134853479656097731_o.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 2,138

Padma

It's very colourful and very pretty! I see why you equate it with the TdM, but it also very much has your style stamp on it, so it is a unique hybrid. Nice! Or even, properly applied here, fresh! And its name suits it, very well.

I learned on the TdM cards, read them exclusively for a few years, and then left them behind once I discovered there were actually a lot of truly beautiful decks out there. (and...I am sorry to say that I find the TdM more than a trifle fugly! haha!) So I would appreciate your version, as much as I appreciated the Marseilles Cat tarot. A new twist on an old deck. :)

Le Fanu

I love the look of it - don't have it yet, but I'm sure it'll come my way one day. And I wonder who would describe themselves as TdM purist? Maybe nobody - it's more some mythical idea that we have. Nobody wants to be thought of as a Luddite. I really like the look of it and could read with it I'm sure. I'd be very happy to see TdM threaded into mainstream tarot tastes and see people experimenting and seeing where it takes them and this deck would be the perfect starting point. Was anyone publicly saying "oh Ciro, it's just wrong?"

I'll be honest, I only don't have it because transatlantic orders make me wince a little nowadays as Customs is so unpredictable and I never know whether a $30 deck will end up being $60 or more. Plus, so often - not directed at you - we scrimp and save for a deck and then suddenly, magically a mainstream publisher picks it up and it's easily available on amazon for $15. Who'd have guessed? There is one limited edition deck out now that I am just waiting, knowing that in a few months a major publisher will magically decide to publish it (once limited edition stocks dwindle). And we will all be delighted and surprised (except those who paid Customs surcharges on it.)

But back to the Decoratif - I love it. I think it is entirely appropriate for where pip tarot reading is right now. I'll pick one up one day and I am sure I'll find it a glorious addition to my reading decks. Just what you have written about it above gets me intrigued.

cirom

Was anyone publicly saying "oh Ciro, it's just wrong?"

Actually yes, several, and the first was about five minutes after i posted the first image on line.

I'll be honest, I only don't have it because transatlantic orders make me wince a little nowadays as Customs is so unpredictable and I never know whether a $30 deck will end up being $60 or more. Plus, so often - not directed at you - we scrimp and save for a deck and then suddenly, magically a mainstream publisher picks it up and it's easily available on amazon for $15. Who'd have guessed? There is one limited edition deck out now that I am just waiting, knowing that in a few months a major publisher will magically decide to publish it (once limited edition stocks dwindle). And we will all be delighted and surprised (except those who paid Customs surcharges on it.)

I fully understand. Although for what its worth I always send my international orders as "gifts" and at lower values. As they are self published there is no indication of official price or bar codes to indicate any other value than the one i indicate in the paperwork. In over 10 years and thousands of orders, I can only recall about 3 occasions where customs duty was imposed.

As for any indie deck being later released by a major publisher at a lower price. Yes that has been the case with all my decks except the Tarot Royale. So yours is a valid point, but i am also very upfront about that and have already publicly announced that this deck will be released in some form and at some point by US Games. But that only happens a couple of years after my special editions are sold out, and when that standard edition is released there are enough differences between the two versions to justify a price difference, from size of the cards, personal signatures, themed bags, extended PDF companion documents etc etc.

cirom

The background stained glass windows of this deck are more than colorful decoration, they serve as a common visual theme that binds the deck together. They are my adaptions based on the designs of Frank Lloyd Wright and Charles Rennie Mackintosh, both principal artists of the Art Deco movement
They vary slightly in color tone from card to card while having an overall commonality within each suit. However the actual patterns are repeated in such a way as to connect corresponding and associated cards. So for example cards II, XII, and the twos of each suite will share a similar pattern, as would VII, XVII and the sevens shown in the example here.

Attachments

• 14883437_10154343456538751_5448888783027102032_o.jpg
    14883437_10154343456538751_5448888783027102032_o.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 948

Silmaril23

In all honesty, your other decks are not particularly to my personal taste...but THIS one is absolutely GORGEOUS. It really is stunning. Bravo! Don't listen to the nay-sayers...it is beautiful, beautiful.

I will definitely be adding this one to my wish list.

Madrigal

The Marseille Cats Tarot takes a similar approach to the Minors by adding small associative vignettes. As far as the purists and non-purists go, irrelevant in the face of Tarot as a Wisdom Lineage. It's a living body and like any body given to multiplicity. I appreciate the vision of both the traditionalists and the innovators as it only serves to deepen my own cartomantic understanding. I am looking forward to working with your deck, Ciro, while at the same time enjoying my Madenié, Robledo and the other traditional decks I own. Each has a place.

CharlotteK

Ok. I caved at last. I've been stalking this deck since it first came out last year. With shipping to the UK it's quite an investment, but it's absolutely gorgeous. I can't resist the Mackintosh references and I can't wait for a mass market version. Very much looking forward to receiving this now. Time to get my arse back to TOADies.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Beanfeasa

I started on a TdM inspired deck and I do prefer them, I adore this deck, I think it is your most beautiful work to date, that Queen of Cups, wow!!
I would classify it as a TdM, we need to get past the woodcuts, TdM is too beautiful a system to pigeon hole it and let's be frank, the aesthetic doesn't appeal to all. It can be crude and cold in the wrong restorers/publishers hands. Yves Renualt is the exception in my humble opinion. His Madenie 1709 is magnificent. It is soft and approachable.
We need to start thinking of historical decks as just that historical. Tarot is a language and languages change, develop, expand and grow. Scenic pips and non woodcut decks are dialects of TdM, they can be beautiful and insightful. Most importantly they are valid to the style. TdM needs to be relevant to modern readers again
You've probably guessed I'm not a purist.

Beanfeasa

Ok. I caved at last. I've been stalking this deck since it first came out last year. With shipping to the UK it's quite an investment, but it's absolutely gorgeous. I can't resist the Mackintosh references and I can't wait for a mass market version. Very much looking forward to receiving this now. Time to get my arse back to TOADies.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I wish I could cave, shipping is quite high on decks from the states to Europe, I'm waiting on the mass market, I'm on a self imposed buying ban until it comes out.
I'm focusing on updating my tarot book library for now.