Etruscan tarot: Six of swords

poopsie

Description in booklet: A man is facing the sea with his sleek ship. It may be the sea of death.

The ship sails for the West and has red sails. The whole picture of the ship and man are in the center of a circle - it can be the circle of life or death ... There are three swords above the ship and three swords under. Those above are positioned horizontally with the middle sword's point facing west, and the two facing east. The three swords under the ship is faced downward. The colors of the waters where the ship sails upon are black.

At first, the card connotes travel ... a man decides to take a Sleek ship - smooth, calm - and sail across waters which may not be as smooth.

Historically, it was believed that the Etruscans were skilled seafarers and were able to trade with other cultures at that time. Their seafaring skills rivaled those of the Greeks and Romans, which may also explain why their art is characterized as partly Greek and Phoenician in style.

If there is one thing common about the 6 of Swords, it is the presence of a boat and the rower. As compared to the RWS which has the swords "plugging the holes" in the boat and with a passenger and rower whose backs are turned, the Etruscan six of swords has only one person. He travels and takes on the sea of death (or life) on his own.

The Etruscan 6 of Swords may be a card of transition, a desire to move on to something more adventurous, more exciting, and more bold. There are many reasons why individuals would decide to do a transition in their lives and it is therefore interesting to find out the motives of our Etruscan seafarer. He heads west, and west is often symbolic of something more risky or creative, different from the status quo, inventive, an expansion of new horizons.

The writer describes the sea as a possible Sea of Death which may also connote the Beginning of a New life. In the middle of turbulent waters the ship sails smoothly ... which may suggest that the sailor has some control over his life and his destiny. He may not know the outcome of his journey but if there is one thing that appears certain, he has taken the option to travel, to transition, to make a change - to shift into something different and hopefully better.

When we draw up the Etruscan 6 of Swords, we can reflect on the following:

a) Are we moving or running away from something, or are we making this shift to try something different and new?

b) What do we want to discover about ourselves that compels us to make this change or transition?

c) Am i the reason for the problem if there is one? And is moving away the best solution?

d) What would be the outcome of my choices and am I ready to own these and take responsibility for my actions?