Sabian Symbols Elsie Wheeler ~ What Tarot Deck did she use?

Elven

:) Hi Symbollers :)

I am cooking bacon and egges for dinner - but the kitchen is where I think! LOL! So Im turned over the tomatoes when I started to wonder ...

Elsie Wheeler (co-creator of the Sabian Symbols) was a Clairvoyant and as far as I can remember from what Lynda Hill has spoken of her - she also read Tarot.
Elsie was born in the late 1800's, but around the time that she moved to San Diego - in the 1920's - The Waite Smith deck would have just been in its infancy. She may have read with this deck in later years ...

but I wonder ... What Tarot Deck would Elsie Wheeler have used in the early turn of the century? .... or beyond - anyone know?

Thinking caps on everyone :party:

Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Great question - I bet we will find an answer too...
Id suggest playing cards...
I did read something on one of the other threads about the history
of Tarot Cards and how and when they becams 'main stream'
hmm

off to have a LOOK

MARINA

Simone

Playing cards seem to be a good suggestion, or something like the Lenormand deck or in that style?

The big lenormand has planet constellations on it, maybe this influenced?

Lynda

Hi Guys
I'm not sure where you heard that Elsie might have used tarot, Elven, although it's an interesting idea!

My thoughts on the situation are that she didn't use cards at all, this because a) before moving to San Diego in around 1923 or 1924, she wasn't into anything "psychic". She was around 36 years old at this point. Soon after, she became a spiritualist medium - but by that time she was quite crippled with arthritis and could barely use her hands. However, I do believe that early on in the 1920's she dressed dolls for a living... so she must have used her hands somewhat at that point.

Of course she may have used cards, but I think she had an amazing gift where she didn't have to use any tools. She died at the age of 52 and one month. She was confined to a wheelchair from the age of 3, arthritis wracking her body, but obviously not her mind. I know that I need to have a tool, at least at this point of my life, and I use astrology, the Sabian Symbols and some cards, but it seems she was more a 'channel'.

It's certainly an interesting thought though... gosh I wish I knew more about her!

I did learn just the other day that her mother died when she was 3 and her father when she was 6. An orphan, she was then sent to the Home for the Incurable in St. Louis, Missouri, some time in the years just before 1900, where she stayed until around 1924.

Love from K
Lynda

Elven

Thankyou so much Lynda for sorting that out :p

Elsie Wheelers story is so amazing. I think I got confused between her doing readings (psychic) as oppossd to readings with Tarot - I remebered about her athritis (I think of her every time my hands sting with arthritis) and I wondered about the cards - I know I still am able to choose cards, but I take it easy with them as it gets worse.

Im sorry to hear that her parents died at such an early age for her, and her early years were her growing up in a home :( She had an incrediable Spirit though :)

I also wondered what cards would have been available in the States at that time, and what other interests she had - I would never have thought of dolls though! Amamzing.

Maybe I-Ching ;)

I asked Elsie what other things she liked to do and was there other methods she used for Divination:

Elven grabs Sabian Cards ... shuffle, shuffle, fling (Taurus/14/18)..replace cards, shuffle, shuffle, cut and draw ...leo 11
Well I just pulled (dropped) these cards - forever amazed!!

I think she showed me life in the home as a young child, her physical condition and her living environment - looking through the threads here ... interesting relationship with her illnesses - I wonder if she had a lung condition or asthma as ell at some stage.

Keywords are from Lynda Hills book: Sabian Symbols as an Oracle.

Taurus 14: On the Beach children play while shellfish grope at the edge of the water.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=58051

Being self sufficient and looking after ones own affairs,A sense of at-one-ment with all forms of life. Live and let live attitude. Peripheral vision. Returning to the source. Feeling safe in a natural environment. Playing alongside nature. Building sand castles. Playing in pools or baths.

Taurus 18: A woman airing an old bag through a sunny window to give it air and sunshine.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=58055

Psychoanalysis. Past life regressions or memories. Doing domestic chores with a feeling of enjoyment and purpose. Workshopping ideas. Bringing light and freshness into old feelings. Renewal. Throwing things out that are old or have outlived their usefulness.

Leo 11: Children on a swing in the safety of a huge oak tree.

Creativity in safe surroundings. The feeling of being protected and priviliged. Social security and other forms of governmental protection. Agencies that bring food, education and basic needs to children of difficult circumstances. Children, trees, grass, swings and parks.

If you are not familiar with these symbols I urge you to read through them *push* - Im gobsmacked as usual!

Lynda - I wonder if that big old tree outside the home ever had a swing or rope marks on its branches ;)

Blessings
Elven x