Interesting TdM Mold

jmd

Interesting view, Rosanne... I'm frankly unconvinced, but it does make sense, even if incongruous with other images of the type.

Here is the revised version with his 'scepter' highlighted in red:

bn_DK2.jpg

jmd

Thanks for the bibliographic reference, Yves.

Problem is, this moule (woodblock/mold) is of (most) of the court cards, not 'lames majeures' - so there's a bit of a hitch that it would be nice to resolve.

Rosanne

Now you have highlighted the rod/pole /scepter you can sort of make out the rope going around it. Was it not said that Alexander the great was depicted in cards as one of the kings? He was supposed to have cut the Gordian Knot on the ox cart, or tried to undo it?. I don't think he had a beard though? I can't think of any other King who had a rope- except something vaguely ticking in my head about a braid of rope made of hair from a queen. It will come to me in my dreams. Fascinating though- given it is coins as Gordius was adopted by King Midas, the peasant became very rich. ~Rosanne

Le Marseillais

Paul Marteau Donation

JMD said:

"Thanks for the bibliographic reference, Yves.

Problem is, this moule (woodblock/mold) is of (most) of the court cards, not 'lames majeures' - so there's a bit of a hitch that it would be nice to resolve".

You are right JMD and helas I think that this woodblock is the only one. I means that there is very probably no Major Arcanum mould in this donation.

Why?

It is very probably an error of writting in this donation list printed in Vieux Papier brochure because I found another mistake they made:

On Tourcaty deck list of Vieux Papier, it was no mention about the number of cards and I thought that it was a full deck. On contrary of other decks most of the time.
But after some mail exchange with BNF reproduction departement it was clear (at the very end of our mails exchange and checking) that one card is missing 8 of sword exactly.

Secondly, BNF departement discovered via my request that they mixed two different decks inside Tourcaty...
Now this error is repared and by the way I informs all ATF afficionados that a very good numeric picture of a Tourcaty beck is avaluable in BNF thanks to my specific order.

I took opportunity of this thread to say that. it could be useful to researchers.

Yves le Marseillais

EnriqueEnriquez

Hmmm...

I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I find peculiar that, if this is a mold, the result print would have the characters in the cards facing in the opposite direction than the Dodal, Noblet, Conver, and Drago.

This is a very useful thread Robert. Thanks very much.

EE

firemaiden

I'm not sure if this is what you were noticing about the characters, Enrique, but Robert le Pendu has obviously flipped the images so we can compare the moule to other decks, but on the original post it is all mirror image. Check out the first post, where he has posted an un-flipped image of the whole mold from the BN site.

Lee

EnriqueEnriquez said:
I don’t know if this has been mentioned, but I find peculiar that, if this is a mold, the result print would have the characters in the cards facing in the opposite direction than the Dodal, Noblet, Conver, and Drago.
Hi Enrique,

If I'm understanding correctly, I think that the resultant print would appear as Robert has posted the pictures in the comparison posts. i.e. reversed from how they appear to us as we face the molds. So cards printed from the mold would have the characters facing in the same directions as the other decks.

EnriqueEnriquez

I am confusing myself, I think.

In the molds I can read the names correctly, meaning that Robert flipped the molds, not the other cards, right?

firemaiden

Enrique, have a look at the whole mold posted in post one, you will see that the words are backwards.

EnriqueEnriquez

Yes. My mistake.

Thanks!

EE