Names of angels and their meanings

Rosanne

Hi jmd- the nearest I can get for Makin is an Islamic Angel of the 5th heaven called Machin/Machen -one of the wings of the throne of God., from Isiah I think. ~Rosanne

Dulcimer

jmd said:
In a rare 18th or early 19th century French Masonic ritual are the names of four angels that I have not seen referred to elsewhere (though they perhaps are under a different transliteration).

It is possible that they refer to locations, although the ritual itself claims that these are the names of the four Angels who were with Christ during the passion.

One of these is Makin.

Any suggestions or cross-reference?

This is probably no help but "Makin" may be derived from the Hebrew word "makun" [MKN] meaning 'fixed or establshed place, foundation' [BDB], and 'site' [ben-Yehuda] which suggests an elemental reference. If the other three are similarly elemental then we may have it.
On the other hand, with your idea of location in mind, "makun" is referred in particular to Daniel 8:11 "Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and THE PLACE OF HIS SANCTUARY was cast down."

jmd

OK - great references... so here are the other three with the first, and the trick is to now ensure that the other three somehow fit in with references to the first:

Makin, Jaamiath, Haouzai and Makac Maraiah

Dulcimer

jmd said:
OK - great references... so here are the other three with the first, and the trick is to now ensure that the other three somehow fit in with references to the first:

Makin, Jaamiath, Haouzai and Makac Maraiah
Interesting. Still looking at it from only the Kabbalistic point of view; the first three names are meaningless in a 'Heb Lang' kinda way, but the third name leapt off the page as being composed of two genuine hebrew words:
"Makac" is MKK and means "morally fallen", "humiliated", and to "be brought low", such as the wicked are brought low; Maraiah is MRIH and is the place where Isaac was to be sacrificed.
The best I can do with Jaamiath is to read it as a corrupted form of IMVTh = water, and Haouzai as H-OZI = the mighty.
Interesting, but there is no real common 'theme'.

I am suspicious that these names are those of angels at Christ's passion. For one thing during His Passion, He was alone. That was the point; only by the willing sacrifice of the Holy Innocent could the connection between mankind and God, lost at The Fall, be re-established through Him. For another, there is precious little Kabbalism in the New Testament due to it being written in Greek. Also consider that Christ's ministry is not Kabbalistic in nature despite certain esoteric groups (19th century Masons, for example) trying to make it so.

So I suspect that the so-called four names of the angels are a recent invention, probably contemporary with the 18th or 19th century they were, as you say, written in. Its possible then that they don't really 'mean' anything; the letters perhaps being derived from some obscure codex, such as the Shemhaforash, or maybe even 'jumbled' for secrecy's sake - the real names told only to the initiate.

On the other hand the ritual might not be Kabbalistic at all and I've just spent the last few hours wasting my time! Ho-hum :D. Perhaps Rosanne will have better luck. Happy hunting. :)

Rosanne

I am not erudite in Kabbala as Dulcimer is. I have the feeling she is right about the names though. Masonic Ritual. I also agree that if it is the Angels and not places or elements/directions -it is from the Old Testament.
I will go look in some more books.~Rosanne

jmd

The ritual is indeed not Kabalistic, but a mishmash of what emerged as the 14th degree of the 'Ecossais' (aka 'Scottish') rite mixed with various Christian-based 'Masonic' grades (Templar, Swedenborgian and proto-Martinist).

When I earlier tried to find meaning and connections, I tried various Hebrew spellings and various transliterations, and basically came up with very little, and certainly nothing that was coherent over the four names.

I then tried a different approach, and found that on some 18th and 19th century maps of northern Africa, three of those names were found, basically forming more or less three 'corners' around the Sahara (or at least, the northern and eastern sides of North Africa). Problem is, that these would themselves refer to something other!

My main 'approach' was to therefore also try and connect the names to even other names and via them to the four elements, that I suspect they are principally connected to. Or if not the four elements, even more likely four DIRECTIONS (though maybe not the cardinal points of the compass, but more likely the points between these - I say this because of other aspects of the ritual).

At the time the ritual was written, numerous other quasi-masonic rituals found light of day, most, as this one too, never emerging as anything more than library material. In this case, by the hand of a Dutchman collecting Masonic rituals of the time, that somehow our National Library in Canberra ended up having one of the volumes (the other two being in Holland).

This is a long-winded post to also explain a little the context of the query, and my dead-end(s) in seeking to understand how and why those words were chosen. They were certainly not written in script for only the initiated to understand, as other 'secret' words are also in there and clearly so given Masonic reference. Also, there was no need to use the (later) late 19th century enamoration with such play.

Dulcimer

Can you be sure then that the 'ritual' is not simply a fake?

michmm

jmd said:
Michael - he who is alike to God
Gabriel - son (or man or warrior/hero) of God [various renditions of the meaning are also given]
Raphael - healer of God
Uriel - fire (or flames) of God​

These are amongst the more common renditions.

hey thanks jmd... i was just wondering about this...and here it is!
:grin:

Rosanne

This has fascinated me jmd. I too found some connections with actual place names through an old atlas. The Azores, Cairo, Kenya and Indonesia. As one can find connections with anything, if one puts one mind to it; interestingly enough, apart from Cairo, everything looks like it was on Magellan's Circumnavigation in 15?? something. The words (which fascinate me more) look Arabic or Moorish. So I am trying to find out Jaamiath, which was sounded probably something like Hamiath. Maybe close enough to be a Hazimeth the star in Virgo- also My'k'in in Arabic Fixed star of Virgo. Or the Moorish Ma'zin in the old constellation of Hercules. So maybe they are stars, not place names?~Rosanne

Rosanne

I seemed to have wandered away from the original intent of the thread, I am sorry- so to bring it back maybe these are not angel names but star names that look like angel names? ~Rosanne